craner

Beast of Burden

Shola Ama, 'Imagine (Asylum Remix)'

Obviously I have a sweet tooth when it comes to UKG. I am the anti-Dubstep.

Shola Ama was good, she did a decent cover of Randy Crawford's 'You Might Need Somebody', but really came on point as the Garage Queen that we could afford (Mariah and Whitney only appeared on genius bootlegs). This is perfect, peak, post-2-step UK Garage, the Golden Age when it was in charge of the charts. See also: B-15 Project 'Girls Like Us' and Nu Birth 'Can't Stop (Asylum Vocal Mix)'

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden

Lisa Maffia, 'All Over'

Lisa Maff

IA

The UKG-Grime hinterland. I loved Maff-IA. She was great. This was the best stab at U.S. Bling London ever did. Both brilliant and hilarious.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Foul Play, 'Finest Illusion (Legal Mix)

Crisp! Euphoric!

Moving Shadow never really matched this perfect composite of future shock and consummate elegance ever again, even with all of the amazing music they put out for a few years (not even E-Z Rollers! ❌)

You know there is a semi-legal mix with the detroit bit straight into the sos band vocal, think it only ever got played on the pirates, im 100% sure of it ask Luke.

droid

Ed Rush, Trace & Nico, 'Droid'

I love this short period of No-U-Turn. In hindsight I don't associate it with the dead-end, dry shit that came after it and killed the music dead. I don't hold this responsible. Their sound was unique: hollow, hard, dramatic.

This is not one of the best from that short period, but it's still huge and oxygen-swallowing and I wanted to pay tribute to my longest-term and most hardly-fought Dissensus adversary (going back to 2005), Droid. This one is for you, my Celtic brother. Iran never got invaded by Bush, did it? ;)

lol. Funny story - when I started on pirate radio in '96 I had to come up with a DJ name. Naphta was threatening to introduce me as DJ Tintin on air... I came up with some terrible ideas and then glanced through my records... and the rest is history.

PS: I was anti-Bush/Iran invasion!

CrowleyHead

reckons these guys looked ridiculous suddenly pretending to be crack dealer gangsters, or something. Alright, stand down, Crowl. I don’t care about any of that.

HEYHEYHEY I don't dislike it because it's 'ridiculous', it's just bleak to me! Much prefer the earlier stuff!

That said yeah, Showbiz at least has the credibility to say it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
my favorite will always be The Chain but u can't never go wrong w any late 70s Fleetwood

being a guitar dude too, Lindsay Buckingham has such a weird style for a rock band (like when people cover FWM they don't usually even try to recreate it), really enjoy it

Definitely want this to be a one post digression but

http://songexploder.net/fleetwood-mac

This is quite an interesting breakdown of how they wrote/recorded 'Go Your Own Way'.

A decent podcast series too.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

Joni Michell, 'Help Me'

'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' is my favorite album, but I love this breezy pop song and the neat reference to it in entry No. 71.

never could have thought i could finish a joni michell song but this one is somehow bearable

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm so glad I don't find Joni Mitchell annoying like other people do.

Like spicy food - I can't eat it, I can't stand it. People who love it probably look at me with benign incomprehension that easily tips over into aggressive disdain.

droid

I had a 'The' originally, but dropped it when I partnered up with Slug. I think Im gonna bring it back.

droid

71twXTUj-wL._UX385_grande.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Strickly Dubz, 'Realise'

Another late YouTube discovery, never heard this at the time, if I had I think I would have lost my mind, it's so good. I remember vaguely perusing the old UK Dance forum in 1999 and someone said they had been buzzing on E to garage, which was weird because it seemed to be a cocaine and champagne and Dolce & Gabbana scene, but when you listen to this sort of thing, you get what they mean. It's Hardcore!

[/QU

Jeremy Sylvester! Love this one, a DJ at a festival I was at a few years ago played this great set of lush garage, letting all these tunes play almost the whole way through. Also played this:

luka

Looking forward to the post-match analysis. What commonalities we can discern in the list as a whole and what that says about Craner as a human being etc. I don't understand dissensus at all right now. It's just mental gibberish. This thread is the only bit of lucidity and sanity left.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's like The Odyssey or something. We're getting to the part where I come to reclaim my wife by killing everybody in the room.