Turn Up The Bites! (The Auto-Tune Rap Thread)

sadmanbarty

the tacky operatic. the tacky gothic. music through the prism of stage school, a camp detachment from it's emotional potency. seeing distortion as a wagnerian brass swell. rock as baroque. frilly cuffs.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
the tacky operatic. the tacky gothic. music through the prism of stage school, a camp detachment from it's emotional potency. seeing distortion as a wagnerian brass swell. rock as baroque. frilly cuffs.

yes you're right, phantom of the opera vibes

tory lanez fits into that end of things too, if only because he rips off travis scott (who rips off everyone else) - gets very wearying over a few tracks

my favourite t-scott choon is the one where he completely rips off swae lee

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
If I was a virile young whippersnapper right now I'd be sampling autotune rap and cutting it up to make explosive rave music

THAT'S JUST ME THOUGH

On a serious note, I do think it would be nice to have a sort of 'new hardcore', sampling contemporary pop/rap music like hardcore of olde. Would have to be all bootlegs/white labels to escape lawyers. Juke actually did / does this a lot.

luka

I don't want to write for Pitchfork and Skooly sucks now, it's the thought that counts though.

everyone has a job to do. if you dont do it your fate is having to
watch someone else do it in a more boring way.
it's why ive just deciced to start nagging trill to write the definitive uk rap piece

CrowleyHead

As he should.

TBQH my elders should've been talking about Rich Kidz and Yung LA properly and tbf like... David Drake was. Maybe not with the emphasis I would argue these folks deserve but hey, individual thought. But the narrative all coalesced around Young Thug because he was Descended from Wayne and Blessed by Gucci and like... Rich Kidz seemingly were signed because one of the members were T.I.'s nephew (probably true). Some guys just get a lucky break with narrative and a handful of people benefit from retrospective analysis but the 00s and even the first couple years of the decade were just so different from the current era.

Also it's so fucking hard to get Bigger People to pay attention to things so that the right eyes look at a scene. I've been saying for years Detroit Rap is gonna have it's big moment and it's only JUST STARTED this year, while I personally think the scene's dropped in creativity. Rap Media is unfortunately a furious pace setter and it's hard to interrupt that constant content churn machine.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm tuned out on rap atm for the most part but I gave this mixtape a listen and was surprised how much I liked it.

The way Lil Baby sing raps on this and elevates this somewhat boring beat. Kind of interesting (or boring) how dominant singing is now in mainstream rap.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just had a look at Rap Caviar to see if autotune is still the thing (having read bits and pieces of Neon Screams yesterday) and it does seem to be the most popular thing still.

Listening to the tracks though I don't get a sense of "futurity" or whatever. But perhaps that's cos it's the most mainstream sort of autotune rap music possible.

There's definitely weirder vocal effects in that goblin dancehall stuff barty/benny love so much.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Perhaps (to make a strained connection) this is the equivalent of stuff like "Sweet Harmony" and "Let Me Be Your Fantasy" being born out of hardcore?

Benny Bunter

There's definitely weirder vocal effects in that goblin dancehall stuff barty/benny love so much.

Definitely, but I think its also down to the Jamaican voice being so expressive anyway that it works so well in combo with the autotune and effects, how much colour and texture they can get out of even one-syllable words - Vybz Kartel's 'preeeee', Tommy Sparta's 'waaaaar' or Alkaline's 'bwoooy' spring to mind. Or as Luka mentioned the other day, a word like 'bombahole' is just so satisfying in of itself
Perhaps (to make a strained connection) this is the equivalent of stuff like "Sweet Harmony" and "Let Me Be Your Fantasy" being born out of hardcore?

Not sure I understand this

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well when young thug and future were doing it it was in a minor key, at least at first, and stuff like Danny Glover was when it was most exciting for me. Now the stuff that's huge like Past Malone is more conventionally melodic and happy.