drilla

watched jodorowsky's santa sangre the other day for the first time. absolutely brilliant, it's a like a mexican surrealist version of psycho.

co-sign... and good distillation of its essence in words there.

my list:

jon jost - last chants for a slow dance (1977), homecoming (2004)

mark rappaport - local color (1977), the scenic route (1978)

chris marker - sans soleil (1983), le joli mai (1963)

Woebot

two awesome french ones about childhood:

400 Blows. Stunning. Shameful to have only just seen it.

Au revoir les enfants. Really lovely.

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Just watched 'Barton Fink' for the first time in a while. I would unreservedly recommend it. Possibly my favourite Coen brothers film.

muser

has anyone seen this? been considering getting the dvd since seeing the youtube clips, Meredith Monk thing, I really like this sequence but I could see a whole film could be odd in a pretentious way.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
Hour of the Wolf

A Bergman horror film (!); most intense pole-fishing scene in cinematic history.
Love how Bergman's shoots in low light.
And the way the wind blows seemingly on cue (Tarkovsky manages to summon elemental powers in this way).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"yeah but the film is set in mexico... I think."
Oh, yeah, could be, I'll shut up.

"A Bergman horror film (!); most intense pole-fishing scene in cinematic history"
My copyy of that wouldn't work properly, shame 'cause I'd like to see it.

"has anyone seen this? been considering getting the dvd since seeing the youtube clips, Meredith Monk thing, I really like this sequence but I could see a whole film could be odd in a pretentious way."
Never heard of it but it looks interesting. Would like to see it.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
been really into films set in Texas lately

Hud, starring Paul Newman as a very hard to like antihero but he's got tons of charisma. interesting to hear about folk resisting punching holes into the land for oil in light of the BP fiasco --- that sort of connection to the land/earth is loooooooong gone now.

finally saw Last Picture Show last night due to someone mentioning it a couple pages back
Cybill Shepherd - whoa. excellent film.

tangent:

has anyone seen nicholas ray's films besides Rebel Without a Cause? was bowled over by that and have read up a tiny bit on the director

godard: "If the cinema no longer existed, Nicholas Ray alone gives the impression of being capable of reinventing it, and what is more, of wanting to."

IdleRich

IdleRich
"has anyone seen nicholas ray's films besides Rebel Without a Cause? was bowled over by that and have read up a tiny bit on the director"
In a Lonely Place is a fantastic noir where you don't know - right up to the end - whether or not the main character, played by Bogey, is a bad guy. Well, he's quite bad all the way through but is he a murderer? Think there was a different ending planned or something and maybe even shot I dunno.
Also Johnny Guitar is ace. Unusual and arguably feminist western although I can't remember the details of the film too well to be honest.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i knew you'd come through
thanks
queued

recently watched Greenaway's The Falls and Vertical Features Remake
Nyman/Eno scores
amazing, borgesian/apollinian
hadn't seen much of early Greenaway before (besides Water Wrackets)
so this has been slightly revelatory for me

also, caught Monte Hellman's Ride in the Whirlwind
The Shooting, it ain't
good enough flick but perfectly sober

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ Ride the Whirlwind is a must if you are obsessive about Nicholson and/or Harry Dean Stanton (i am borderline)

also recently caught mr stanton in Wise Blood, John Huston's adaptation of the amazing F. O'Connor novella
very faithful to the book
but maybe not as funny
strange though
probably even stranger if you haven't read the story

drilla

Killer of Sheep, by Charles Burnett.

http://cinematrices.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/killer-of-sheep-charles-burnett-1977/

cm-glucode00164.jpg

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
been really into films set in Texas lately

Hud, starring Paul Newman as a very hard to like antihero but he's got tons of charisma. interesting to hear about folk resisting punching holes into the land for oil in light of the BP fiasco --- that sort of connection to the land/earth is loooooooong gone now.

finally saw Last Picture Show last night due to someone mentioning it a couple pages back
Cybill Shepherd - whoa. excellent film.

tangent:

has anyone seen nicholas ray's films besides Rebel Without a Cause? was bowled over by that and have read up a tiny bit on the director

godard: "If the cinema no longer existed, Nicholas Ray alone gives the impression of being capable of reinventing it, and what is more, of wanting to."

I second the 'In A Lonely Place' recommendation - great film. Big fan of 'Hud' myself - Newman looks very cool in that stetson - prefer him to McQueen in the great PN vs SM debate...which no longer 'rages' as it used to....mind you, probably only amongst women.

Recently flagged with 'Serpico'...sympathised with the bent cops! http://includemeout2.blogspot.com/2010/07/frank-serpico-was-idiot.html Does that make me immoral?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Put this in the wrong thread - Two Lovers by James Gray is absolutely incredible. Joaquin Phoenix surely hasn't really retired; at least, I hope not.

Got to hand it to Paltrow too - she seems to be one of those actors who is (seems?) abysmal in person, but yet can act with real sensitivity and depth. That's the point that really interests me about acting - are such actors pulling such performances out of their own personal experience somehow (parts of their personality which aren't often on show, perhaps), or just 'faking it' really well technically?

^^Still not seen Killer of Sheep since I missed it showing at the cinema - I hear it's incredible. Great still.

STN

sou'wester
I thought Killer of Sheep (great title) was evocative and beautifully shot and very moving in places, but also utterly tedious for the most part.