Euphemisms/doublespeak.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Two examples from today
"Frequent Flyer Programme" - the practice of moving the inmates at Guantánamo from cell to cell every hour to deprive them of sleep.

"Style Drift" - hedge fund managers facing expensive divorces and thus thought by their clients to face distraction in running the fund managing business. As spotted in the Evening Standard's ES Magazine (don't snigger at the back, it's for the females in the family).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The one I can't get my head around is how 'personnel' has been replaced by 'human resources'. I mean, is it meant to sound more fluffy and humane or something? To me it has more of an alien-overlord-assessing-the-puny-fleshlings-of-Earth-as-a-potential-source-of-amino-acids ring to it.

hucks

Your Message Here
"Passenger actions" on the tube. As an explanation, it's useless - what does it mean? Presumably it covers a person on the track, attempted suicide, all sorts. So why can't London Underground just say?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Eurgh, 'person under the train' - makes it sound like some guy is just having a nice little nap on the tracks and they're waiting for him to get up so they drive on...