is persuasion unevolved?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i was aspiring to be the laing type. before they dragged me down. mercurial and brilliant but basically because mad essentially encouraging others to join me in madness so i have more company.

He kept acid in the fridge. Sanity, Madness and the family is one of the most important books ever tho.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah, great pity he couldn't apply his incisive thinking to his own family; obviously he's far from alone in that

luka

its becuase we act it out that we can follow the processes and unpick them. its observation, it's not thinking

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
of course, though i'd argue thinking is very much required to observe accurately. it's also possible, though very difficult, not to repeat the same pattern.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
well going back to the starting statement - a lot of high energy persuasion arguably comes from a lack of surety in one's own subjective experience, using others to confirm one's reality. Question is - how many people do have that kind of surety?

luka

well going back to the starting statement - a lot of high energy persuasion arguably comes from a lack of surety in one's own subjective experience, using others to confirm one's reality. Question is - how many people do have that kind of surety?

i have it. it's one of my magic powers.

CrowleyHead

Affirmation of a consensus and justification for such is the typical outlook of a lot of modern communication. Preaching to choirs, because you yourself are your own choir. A lot of the younger modern educated thinkers tend to react strongly against the past generation's "Well you're full of shit too so what? What does any of what you say mean?" energies (an energy that appears to be reemerging in the newest one while millenials still hang on to an earnestness). The seduction aspect of persuasion is considered treacherous and malicious because we've learned that so many can and are malicious and instead consistently demand appeasement and recognition of our rights as... consumers, participants, however you want to slot the terms in.

Right now a lot of the talk is limited to affirmation and justification; "my thing of interest is actually good and You're At Fault for not recognizing your biases at hand". There's validity to this, but few if any make arguments of persuasion that "Here are the reasons for it's potency, here's its strengths, look what it can do" in a practical sense, it's all self-celebratory. To come at it from the point that "You know it could be wrong" or "Why haven't we done this" or what have you often gets swept away as reactionary contrarianism Which of course does exist but becomes an all-encompassing MASS DISMISSAL.

The modern case presentation is all Chomsky in the debate versus Foucault. Hunched over, eyes sparkling with passion but in a soft yearning as if pretending there's a rainbow, arms reached out and trying to plead as if finding the see-saw of strength while being feeble. "If we can only just do what we should obviously do... !". Everyone is begging you to read their erotic fanfiction of Captain America and Jesus, the way Noam's mouth is salivating at the thought of JFK's handsome cheekbones in those moments

droid

The modern case presentation is all Chomsky in the debate versus Foucault. Hunched over, eyes sparkling with passion but in a soft yearning as if pretending there's a rainbow, arms reached out and trying to plead as if finding the see-saw of strength while being feeble. "If we can only just do what we should obviously do... !". Everyone is begging you to read their erotic fanfiction of Captain America and Jesus, the way Noam's mouth is salivating at the thought of JFK's handsome cheekbones in those moments

Except of course Chomsky was deeply critical of Kennedy and has cited him as the most dangerous US president since WWII.

CrowleyHead

Except of course Chomsky was deeply critical of Kennedy and has cited him as the most dangerous US president since WWII.

Listen, my parents were obviously sexually attracted to each other and yet they objectively hate one another now. Don't use the accusations of malicious intent as a inherent dismissal of attraction there Droid.