Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

If I was running a bookclub, me personally, I wouldn't want to do something like flan o Brian cos ok everyone has a grand time reading the book. All well and good. But what do you do with the discussion which is the point of the thing. Oh I really liked that bit about bicycles it was hilarious. Yes I loved that bit too, hilarious.

It doesn't go anywhere.

It's true. However, no-one was suggesting any of the Flann O'Brien books be included. Just blithely mentioned them in passing, scoring points and winning acclaim along the way.

luka

Droid you know you're not a reader so why the competitive attitude? I don't try and Compete with your knowledge of '80s dancehall 7 inches. Play to your strengths.

droid

You're a cliche of a boorish student, striding into a bookclub above some coffeeshop or pub, waving your Joyce and Yeats in peoples faces and spitting phlegm about their idiotic suggestions and the ignorance of the commoners... its deeply, deeply embarrassing.

Take off your beret and sit down - or fuck off. This isnt about competition, its about decorum.

luka

Droid please consider yoyr reputation on this message board and how you've earned it. Sit in the corner and really think about it.

droid

And now the further descent into personalisation and crude attempts to gain dominance.

I expected more from you Luka, truly.

luka

Looking at yourself is always a good place to start droid. I understand that everyone, including myself, is feeling especially fraught and fractious atm. That's understandable and so I'm not going to pursue this any further. I've made some wonderful, thought provoking posts and I know you're as grateful as anyone even if you struggle to express that. I wish you all the best with the bookclub and hope it's a great success.

droid

Youre supposed to be the poet-mage, the man of the people, link between the higher and lower spheres.

Instead you're revealed as a Harry Enfield Cast off, oxbridge blazer stuffed with worthy tomes, authors names conspicuously visible, vitriol for the plebs streaming theatrically from each orifice as you ritually chest thump your dominance.

Its quite sad. Im sad for you. (Although the auto-thanking is a nice touch I do admit)

luka

Yes, we're all in a state of barely suppressed panic. I do understand droid. I'm no different. If it helps to make me a scratching post then who am I to tell you to retract your claws

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh I really liked that bit about bicycles it was hilarious. Yes I loved that bit too, hilarious.

I think you're doing FoB a disservice. Sure, he's primarily a humourist, but there's far more to his books than just the lols.

Edit: fuck it, not many books are as entertaining as watching you two going at each other like this.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

luka

I think you're doing FoB a disservice. Sure, he's primarily a humourist, but there's far more to his books than just the lols.

Well ok, it's possible. I think you should explain though. I'd like to hear about it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well ok, it's possible. I think you should explain though. I'd like to hear about it.

Hmm, you've called my bluff to an extent because it's been years since I read those novels and the bits that have stuck in my the best are mainly the funny bits. But I think it's wrong to assume that anything funny must be inconsequential, or that it can only have value as a source of superficial amusement. (Not that you were saying that, exactly, but...)

If I feel so inclined I might dig out my copy of the collected novels when I get home and see if I can flesh this out a bit. Meanwhile, please don't let me interrupt your catfight with the droidster.

Last edited:

luka

I'm not fighting with droid. I gave that up years ago. I learned to Control my impulses. I mellowed and matured. Now Im more interested in trying to help him in life.

droid

I'm not fighting with droid. I gave that up years ago. I learned to Control my impulses. I mellowed and matured. Now Im more interested in trying to help him in life.

Yes. Your masterful impulse control is clearly evident.

droid

Hmm, you've called my bluff to an extent because it's been years since I read those novels and the bits that have stuck in my the best are mainly the funny bits. But I think it's wrong to assume that anything funny must be inconsequential, or that it can only have value as a source of superficial amusement. (Not that you were saying that, exactly, but...)

Can you guys watch this? 'The rich mouth'. Its a must for any Flann fan:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/flann-obrien-an-beal-saibhir/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm reminded of the South Park episode where Cartman gets it into his head that he's 'too mature' to hang around with his friends any more, so he starts dancing around and pointing at them while chanting "I'm more mature than yoouu guuuys! I'm more mature than yoouu guuuys!".

droid

Updated list.

1. Tea: CJ Stone, Fierce Dancing: Adventures in the Underground
2. Wanda: Zoe Whittall's 'The Best Kind of People'
3. You: Jennifer Egan, A Visit from the Goon Squad
4. Luka: Some unspecified cleverer book
5. HM Govt: Fistfights With Muslims In Europe: One Man's Journey Through Modernity
6. Droid: Pavane, Keith Roberts
7. Baboon: Olivia Laing - The Lonely City

How many more can we expect?

So, are we awaiting for more entries, or are we going to vote on these?

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'll add one, if it's not too late: Olivia Laing - The Lonely City. Brilliantly interesting non-fiction written with a fiction writer's gift for language, and with a political edge very apposite to the events of the past few months.

Pavane sounds good - historical counterfactuals also seem super-relevant right about now