documentary films

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
huh? i've seen this but don't remember no jim o'rourke?

i really enjoyed the faux documentary about herzog making a documentary about the Loch Ness monster as well - Incident at Loch Ness. some genuine WTF moments for me.

heh heh heh

jim o'rourke was in "In the Edges" the doc about the making of the music for "Grizzly Man" just in case you thought i was saying that Jim O'Rourke was in the latter...
:D

That mockumentary Incident at Loch Ness was decent. A bit too clever for my taste, I think. I can only be nudged in the ribs so much before i begin bruising. The extras on the DVD are better than the film, methinks.

Someone should start a Mockumentary thread.

zhao

there are no accidents
EVEN STATUES DIE
(Les statues meurent aussi)
A film by Alain Resnais and Chris Marker

This collaborative film, banned for more than a decade by French censors as an attack on French colonialism (and now available only in shortened form), is a deeply felt study of African art and the decline it underwent as a result of its contact with Western civilization. Marker’s characteristically witty and thoughtful commentary is combined with images of a stark formal beauty in this passionate outcry against the fate of an art that was once integral to communal life but became debased as it fell victim to the demands of another culture.

zhao

there are no accidents
i never figured out how to search for stuff on that site. or how to download.

but it's pretty easy to torrent anything these days...

nochexxx

harco pronting
Are there any good documentaries about UK Acid House? In the middle of reading Altered States and within its pages it describes lots of media news coverage. I’m hoping there are good docs with quality stock footage out there.

nomos

Administrator
Are there any good documentaries about UK Acid House? In the middle of reading Altered States and within its pages it describes lots of media news coverage. I’m hoping there are good docs with quality stock footage out there.
I've looked all over and there's disappointingly little. I think there was a TV doc made at the time which is floating around. Can't remember the title offhand.

There was also this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0847411/. It's a three-part dance music history from CH4. I can't remember how much time it spends on acid or hardcore (which probably means that it could have been more).

Check for torrents and YouTubes. Also, you can buy Fantazia DVDs - both the original compilation videos and raw footage ones.

Last edited:

pajbre

any of the essay-films by black audio film collective are worth tracking down... you can watch 'handsworth songs' on google video.

chris marker, agnes varda, alain renais and a few others made a collaborative film called 'loin du vietnam' that is a stunner.

'jaguar' by jean rouch (zhao i think you'd love this one). rouch filmed three friends journeying to the gold coast in the late 50's, went back about six years later and had those three friends improvise narration that jumps all over the place, temporally and otherwise.

hour of the furnaces.

79 springtimes for ho chi minh

symbiopsychotaxiplam: take one-william greaves

videogrammes of a revolution-harun farocki

que viva mexico

los angeles plays itself

mms

sometimes
surreal nature docs - would recommend hellstrom chronicles - think i mentioned that b4

not sure if humphrey jennings has had a mention
also dark days, the exceptionally strange paradise lost, which is a bit in the errol morris tradition, also for the sports fans, dogtown and riding the giants - stacey peralta are both great.

also the 3 decline of western civilisation films are great, esp the la metal one.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mms

sometimes
surreal nature docs - would recommend hellstrom chronicles - think i mentioned that b4

also dark days, the exceptionally strange paradise lost, which is a bit in the errol morris tradition, also for the sports fans, dogtown and riding the giants - stacey peralta are both great.

also the 3 decline of western civilisation films are great, esp the la metal one.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

mms

sometimes

which i can't seem to embed....

massrock

Watched this on youboob recently.

Touched - Laurel Chiten's doc that follows a couple of people who've had alien abduction experiences.

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
Trinity & Beyond - The Atomic Bomb Movie is pretty good. It's narrated by William Shatner (as most things should be in my opinion) and is essentially a condensed history of nuclear weaponary between the mid 40s and the mid 60s, told through archive footage with a rather excited classical soundtrack.

http://www.vce.com/trinity.html

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ i had that taped to a VHS. great doc. i watched it over and over with the sound off; forced marriages with tangerine dream or whatever.

i am just reading Barefoot Gen, a comic from the perspective of a hiroshima survivor. mind-boggling. even after 60-odd years it is still hard to wrap your head around that kind of destructive power.

MrFence

Oh the humanity.
forced marriages with tangerine dream or whatever.

I used to do that when I'd been smoking a lot at uni, often with Vangelis Beauborg.

I'm utterly fascinated by nuclear weapons, my brain just can't seem to process the magnitude of their destructive power.

I seem to remember something about the Enola Gay co-pilot never being able to overcome the horror of when they had done at Hiroshima and becoming a depressed alcoholic, though I can't find any reference to it now.

pajbre

just watched 'when saturn returnz,' the goldie documentary last night. so well done, lacking in all the usual bullshit that music docs fall prey to.

mms

sometimes
as mentioned in the beatles thread , the salesman

amazing stuff about door to door bible and encyclopedia salesmen they went on to do the doc about the beatles first US tour and also 'gimme shelter' the stones at alamont.

Last edited: