craner

Beast of Burden

Mariah Carey, 'We Belong Together'

The greatest song of the Noughties, no contest.

Beautiful tune, very elegant, the Apotheosis of Mariah. That vocal breakdown is unrivalled:

"Bobby Womack's on the radio, singing to me 'if you think you're lonely now'...wait a minute...this is too deep...I gotta change the station, so I turn the dial trying to catch a break...and then I hear Babyface..."

Genius.

That's all for tonight, hope you enjoyed. Over half way done!

craner

Beast of Burden
I know I'm not doing the one track per day rule, but I'm trying hard to do the one track per artist thing. It gets a bit elastic though.

luka

You didn't answer my question about sextant though. Do you really like it? If so, why?

luka

I'm listening to it now. I have listened to it many times. So clearly I don't dislike it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Bravo

Fuck my one tune a day rule - that was to try and make things easier for you so you'd be more likely to do it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

U.S. Alliance (Dem 2), 'All I Know (Da Grunge Mix)'

Another flawless 2-step masterpiece but then there are quite a few (by these 2 alone). I still remember the collective hysteria that gripped Dissensus when we discovered that they looked like a pair of Bruces from a Fosters beer commercial. Is that reverse racism?

Pretty sure i was the one who posted their photo on here :crylarf:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Sister Sledge, 'Easier to Love'

The Sledge!

But basically another sublime Chic production. They could do anything at this time.

This is an amazing album, but Love Somebody Today is also great.

This one definitely could make my top 100, makes me want to cry

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Usher, 'Burn'

Can you get a static burn? Not sure. Anyway...

This is the opposite of Erotic Joy...LOVE DEVESTATION.

Usher is so sensitive, so broken by his bad break up with Chilli from TLC, what will he do? He was writing Petrarchan sonnets to her, worshipping the sidewalks she skipped along, and then it was all over. What will he do?

He will sing! He will BURN!

This is the track you sing along to, loudly through tears, at petrol stations buying fags at 4 'o' clock in the morning, in agony, with your heart smashed all over the filthy, gum-blotched paving stones. It occupies the same space as Jagged Edge's 'Walked Outta Heaven' and Bob Dylan's 'Idiot Wind'. Tenderness, anger, despair.

Amazing writing this

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind

Ornella Vanoni, 'Quei Giorni Insieme a Te'

Riz also did a minimalist, sinister score for Lucio Fulci's anti-Catholic, anti-rural South giallo masterpiece Don't Torture a Duckling, but it wasn't even the best music in that film, because this was. This is from a scene where a local witch played by Florinda Balkan is brutally murdered by a vigilante gang who erroneously believe that she is responsible for a series of child murders, due to their own superstitious prejudice and misogyny. The song peaks as she is crawling to the edge of a new motorway, fatally injured, looking on as happy tourists from Northern cities drive by unaware, and all the messages from the film are encapsulated in this one scene with great pathos. It fully puts to rest the idea that Fulci was a hack or a misogynist himself, although his own despair and cynicism becomes evident in the later gore movies which has led to the accusation. A sad story. Even outside of this context it's a powerful song which I have been known to sing along to loudly in my car with very approximate Italian. Again, I have no idea what it is about, but I can feel what it is about.

i had a short summer romance with an italian girl two summers ago, she had to leave the city at one point and sent me a copy of "ornella vanoni - l'appuntamento" over the post a few weeks later. never saw her again.

anyway, keep going, loving your top 100 and the little bits of texts!

craner

Beast of Burden

D.E.A. Project, 'Through the Rain'

D.E.A. were great and YouTube is fantastic for unearthing their obscurities. Like me, they were Mariah devotees and expressed their worship in devotional hymns like this. A simple, almost shoddy, pastiche Todd banger, they probably knocked it together in half an hour. I never get bored listening to it. D.E.A. brought the spirit of novelty hardcore into garage ('Jerry Springer' is another lost classic). They are heroes.

craner

Beast of Burden

Another weather-related tune. Superior ambient jungle, Bukem played this track in like every set he did in 1994. Very atmospheric, drums are crisp, chunky and supple all at once.

craner

Beast of Burden

Charles Mingus, 'I'll Remember April (Live at Antibes 1960)'

This kicks off at about 6m50s, when Eric Dolphy and Booker Ervin start to savage each other with their saxophones. It's an intense contest, full of angry energy; a fight to the death.

craner

Beast of Burden

Eric Dolphy, 'Tenderly'

Eric is my favorite sax player. He has a sweeter tone than Coltrane, but he's as lyrical and free (Coltrane has the VISION, though). This deconstruction of 'Tenderly' is beautiful. I don't think Far Cry is a very well known album, but it's really great and has an elegant cover. It's the first LP I got when I brought my house! For some reason, Out to Lunch does nothing for me, I can hardly listen to it. I think that's because of the vibraphone, I can't really deal with vibraphones.

craner

Beast of Burden

Miles Davis, 'Iris'

Another album with a fabulous cover.

This is one of those muted, melancholy, moping, transcendent Miles Davis slow jams from the early/mid 60s. But, the main thing to focus on here is Tony Williams and his cymbals.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Only this morning I was going to congratulate you on not having more than one bloodyjazz song on your list.

Playing to the gallery though, I respect that ❌

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Started out so well with Land Down Under and now we're having to endure bloody Miles Davis.

This is the part of the wedding set when I go outside for five fags and a scroll through Twitter.

craner

Beast of Burden

Roxy Music, 'True to Life'

A journalist once described interviewing Bryan Ferry as "like talking to Sergeant Wilson". This, the greatest thing he ever did without Eno, is appropriately vague, detached, dilatory.

A seamless shimmer. Yacht Fascism.