potential musical confessions of the 10s you may look back on in years

muser

Agree with the post-dubstep stuff, seems like allot of people got caught up in it but you won't hear anyone raving about most of those super hyped records now... it was almost like an aftershock/microcosm of dubsteps meteoric rise and fall. I remember even then feeling mostly underwhelmed by it all when I actually went out to see it in the club.

Some of its still stands for me though.. for example tunes by DVA, Cooly G, Roska from that time have aged well I think.

DLaurent

I'd stopped going out and record collecting by then so that probably affects how memorable everything was.

Being memorable isn't always so necessary The feeling behind it was was there, the production not so much with a few exceptions . Opposite to my thoughts on where dnb went. The 20s I can see being about generative music, Eno leading the way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I do find it baffling that people rightly dismiss the majority of post-dubstep but can't tell me one deep tech record that stands out. some people equated hc continuum with anything working class/lumpen = good and anything made by students = bad. i mean, i can understand where that sentiment comes from, i just wouldn't use it as the definitive aesthetic barometer. I also don't agree with the sentiment, musical scenes can't really be reduced to one class apart from traditional folk music which was mainly agricultural peasantry.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I do find it baffling that people rightly dismiss the majority of post-dubstep but can't tell me one deep tech record that stands out. some people equated hc continuum with anything working class/lumpen = good and anything made by students = bad. i mean, i can understand where that sentiment comes from, i just wouldn't use it as the definitive aesthetic barometer.

DLaurent

Wait? What's deep tech? Is Something records not deep tech? That was my stand out of the 10s. STL - Nite Train.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Perhaps it was never that innovative but at the time it was an exciting scene and sound, there was a unified aesthetic to it (or at least to one side of it), there were plentiful hard choons and it felt like there was so much potential.

Actually I'd have thought it would be up your street Third, very hard, machinistic, sparse music. Darkside music, really. The one night I went to had a proper ravey vibe too, almost what I'd imagine acid house would have been like in the warehouse party days.

Not sure what really happened with deep tech - I always see posters around London for events with all those DJs so presumably its still doing well, just off the critical radar.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never heard much Boddika at all and never heard any Jam City that sounds like Carnao Beats but tbh I've never bothered much with either of those producers.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, deep tech is sparce, but so is berlin techno and dark minimal/tech house. acid isn't sparce though, it's minimal but not sparce. it's actually very, very intense in the right djs hands.

post-2007 dubstep, now that's sparce.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Perhaps it was never that innovative but at the time it was an exciting scene and sound, there was a unified aesthetic to it (or at least to one side of it), there were plentiful hard choons and it felt like there was so much potential.

Actually I'd have thought it would be up your street Third, very hard, machinistic, sparse music. Darkside music, really. The one night I went to had a proper ravey vibe too, almost what I'd imagine acid house would have been like in the warehouse party days.

Not sure what really happened with deep tech - I always see posters around London for events with all those DJs so presumably its still doing well, just off the critical radar.

I was raving to tunes like this during deep techs hayday and i found it relatively soft in comparison.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I could rave to that but I'd need to be off my head on beans.

Anything that thuddy and repetitive bores me unless my body is engaged, which requires the muscle and brain relaxant of pills.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I could rave to that but I'd need to be off my head on beans.

Anything that thuddy and repetitive bores me unless my body is engaged, which requires the muscle and brain relaxant of pills.

well it's meant to be chopped about with hip hop style. I'm not sure why i have to repeat this every day. it's not myfault ur mates at the wire can't mix is it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Perhaps (and I love bleep n bass) - but who was playing bleep n bass in 2017?

I also don't think it was a slavish recreation of bleep n bass. When someone makes a slavish recreation of hardcore in 2019 I'm not interested (perhaps I should be) because it's a sort of period piece.

This is why it was a bit shit when the juke/footwork guys were embracaed by UK rave nerds and started using sounds from 93 jungle. It was a bit too... I dunno. The nerds liked it cos it reminded them of jungle and hardcore not because it WAS jungle/hardcore.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
well it's meant to be chopped about with hip hop style. I'm not sure why i have to repeat this every day. it's not myfault ur mates at the wire can't mix is it.

Fair enough. I've seen sets where they DJ this sort of stuff (DJ Bone e.g.) and it was still a bit boring.

P.S. I don't have mates at the wire :crylarf:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I understand your frustration with me not listening to those mixes.

I think I've stopped listening to intense music so much since I stopped going out to nights. Most music I listen to now is at my workdesk or on my commute or reading in my room. Super hard techno I don't find conducive to any of those activities.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Perhaps (and I love bleep n bass) - but who was playing bleep n bass in 2017?

I also don't think it was a slavish recreation of bleep n bass. When someone makes a slavish recreation of hardcore in 2019 I'm not interested (perhaps I should be) because it's a sort of period piece.

This is why it was a bit shit when the juke/footwork guys were embracaed by UK rave nerds and started using sounds from 93 jungle. It was a bit too... I dunno. The nerds liked it cos it reminded them of jungle and hardcore not because it WAS jungle/hardcore.

noone was playing deep tech in 2017 either. they had all moved to standard tech house. deep tech was 2011-14, 2015 at a push. datwun wasn't even living in the UK at the time. again something a lot of people miss on here because they are removed from london, it's not their fault etc...

I didn't say it was a slavish recreation of bleep and bass. I said it was a poor mans bleep and bass. the two are different, imo. I.E: pursuing similar aesthetic terrain but bnb was far more skippy and dare i say it proto-junglistic. deep tech was not very skippy at all, at least not compared with classic UK garage and even some of the dance mania stuff.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I understand your frustration with me not listening to those mixes.

I think I've stopped listening to intense music so much since I stopped going out to nights. Most music I listen to now is at my workdesk or on my commute or reading in my room. Super hard techno I don't find conducive to any of those activities.

nah that's fair. you should listen to dj hype playing techno in 91 though, amazing. i kind of wish he'd stuck to techno not because of the early ganja which is absolutely unimpeachable but because of the later jump up direction he went. though I suppose he makes the kids happy and that's the most important thing, ultimately.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yrpmzw2i9o3a2k/DJ Hype Boogie Times Tribe StudioMix 91 - 92.mp3?dl=0