e/y

i think the explanation that he was told to pipe down and stop funing the opposition is the most plausible. the kremlin figured they would set an example to other oligarchs by putting him in prison.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
And I also saw The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, which I also really liked. Really pessimistic.

Great film! 'I'll show you law, Western law!' (Lee Marvin). Not only are Stewart & Wayne magnificent but so too is the handling of the gun vs law dilemma in relation to personal protection and the politics of the West. A classic.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Finally got round to watching 12 Angry Men. Definitely lived up to the hype. Wonderful film. Some brilliant lines in it.

zhao

there are no accidents
saw Winter's Bone last night. some parts of the American South has not changed much in the last 200 years...

gumdrops

a matter of life and death. what a good film. though the american/british standoff did go off track a bit, it just looks amazing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That trailer had more narrative in it than the whole of Tetsuo The Iron Man.

I went to the cinema yesterday to watch the new(ish) Svankmajer film, called How to Survive Life or something similar. A sometimes animated man becomes obsessed with a recurring dream and has it analysed by a psychiatrist while her pictures of Freud and Jung fight each other over the meaning. Oedipal incest, chicken-headed women and slashed wrists are animated in just that way that takes you back to watching weird stuff on bbc2 when you were ill as a child - if you're around the same age as me that is. Silly jokes mix with references to Jarry and de Nerval and basically it's great fun with a dark heart or maybe it's the other way round. I'd unreservedly recommend it anyway.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
yea that's always the case with trailers. they create the wrong kind of expectations. the trailer for drive suggested something like gone in sixty seconds. anyway, the narrative and storyline of the tetsuo movies are of course subordinate to the visual violence and the ravaging soundtrack!

Last edited:

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Up_Poster.JPG

not sure who enjoyed this more, me or my little cousin

rubberdingyrapids

melancholia. and take shelter. two of my favourite films of 2011.

melancholia is flawed, but strangely, unexpectedly brilliant. i kept thinking about it after it ended. in fact i still do. though i dont think about the characters as such, i just keep remembering/'feeling' the atmosphere.

i love 'up'.

bruno

est malade
it's true, it does stay with you long after the ending. gregor mentions his blog post about the film, and in it he points out how dostoveskian parts of the film are, he is right. and i hate to be unoriginal, but it is a visual tour de force, and symbolically powerful (horses set free near the end, etc.) i'll have to explore his previous output minus the bjork thing, which i detested.

that man from up looks like my biology teacher at school.

zhao

there are no accidents
Never EVER watch a Paranormal Activity film in the house on your own. Seriously, I've never had to switch off a film before, and I watch a lot of horror films...At the cinema, fine, at home, instant dread.

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/paranormal-activity-3
Goodness, there's a pot-smoking scene in this film about Satan.

Any other nominations for the scariest film of all time? I've rarely found films as creepy as the PA series - the maintenance of suspense is masterful. Audition creeped me the fuck out (the bits before the torture), by its weird distortions of time and space - that's my nomination for best 'art-house' scare.

I actually thought the PA films were pretty shit.

The fact that you got it on a DVD out from the store means that there is NO WAY that you can fall into believing it is real.

No matter what, I just can't manage to get over the fake medium barrier for all those 'found tapes' films.

If I had downloaded PA off a dodgy website linked to me on 4chan though, maybe I would be more freaked.

I would like to see some more genuinely unsettling horror films but I think that horror films need to be aware that when people are watching they know that they are watching a film, and take that into consideration.

This will be contentious, but I think that is what makes Lynch films so unsettling. Very arguable though.

lol i have a history of watching scary films under the PERFECT conditions.

saw that first hand held pseudo documentary, whatsitcalled, about looking for witches? which started this whole thing of pseudo-documentary horror films? shit i can't remember what it's called right now... anyway, while flicking through the channels at 3AM, before the hype, on cable, and being so tired and not exactly thinking straight and REALLY not knowing if it was for real :)

and.

guess how i saw Ringu (japanese version)?

yes. you guessed it.

a bit bored alone in the house, and there was a video tape sitting on the coffee table. and so just popped it in the VCR...

(my roomate at the time had rented it and left it sitting there)

slowtrain

Haha, that is very good zhao.

I will go to the salvation army this week and buy up a whole heap of the unlabelled $1 VHS tapes and see what we get.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Arthur Christmas - saw it with my 3 year old and missus on Sunday afternoon. Comfort & joy.

that does look pretty cool, gotta love the aardman stable. can anyone recommend any recent great animations? i'm not too fussed about Pixar, but am a sucker for talking animals, the weirder the better.

Gregor XIII

gregor mentions his blog post about the film, and in it he points out how dostoveskian parts of the film are, he is right.
Hey, thank you. And if you like his visuals and can live with the characters perhaps not being the most believable, I'll really recommend Element of Crime and Europa.

I saw Uncle Boonmee Who Can Remember His Past Lives. It is fantastic. I was a bit scared that it might be a 'magical realism' / 'fantastic exoticism' kind of thing, but it is amazing. Black humor, some really experimental and strange choices, and some incredibly banal scenes for fun. It's, well, unreservedly recommended.