baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My guess would be it has 'sex' in the title. Also, isn't it a Netflix show? I didn't know it was British.

People aren't that shallow, Corpsey.

Tbh I got shown it rather than found it for myself, so no idea. It's set in Britain, bu the school set-up is curiously American, which the Netflix link would explain.

@yyaldrin - You're right. I think it's a renewed longing for communal experience after the splintering effect of the internet. Or that everyone is a braindead robot.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone been bothering with S3 of True Detective? It isn't as good as the first, but it's a lot better than the second. Stephen Dorff making everyone wonder where he's been since Blade.
Me - seems good so far, although I'm frustrated with watching it piecemeal so stopped after episode 4 and gonna save up the rest to watch all at once. It is a bit self-consciously True Detective - the washed out colours as though in the eighties colours really were less bright. But I don't care, I like the vibe. I even liked the second one, I won't actually say it's good but it's better than everyone thinks. The Irish guy was totally believable as an utter wreck for instance. Admittedly I mainly kept on with it hoping that it would somehow get better or magically tie into the first one in some incredible linking reveal, not sure how it would stand up to re-watch without that belief.

re Sex Education. I've not seen it but I've seen people talking about it and the main thing that keeps cropping up is the weird disconnect that is caused by putting a story that is basically American in sensibility and style into an English (or is it Welsh?) context. It really seems that someone somewhere making decisions at Netflix does think the US and UK are the same place but with different accents. Maybe they are.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Or it's advance propaganda for the Invasion. You were always like this and you always thought this way. You always spoke of jocks and nerds and cheerleaders, England (or Wales).

@version - I was the same for about five years. Even watching Premiership seemed grey and parochial - Champions' League only. I might go back to those days.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or it's advance propaganda for the Invasion. You were always like this and you always thought this way. You always spoke of jocks and nerds and cheerleaders, England (or Wales).

@version - I was the same for about five years. Even watching Premiership seemed grey and parochial - Champions' League only. I might go back to those days.
Funny cos when you move abroad you realise that English telly is fucking brilliant. Each channel here buys about five series from the UK and US and then just rotates them. There is a comedy channel that plays American Dad/Family Guy literally all day every day until about six am when they switch over to How I Met Your Mother. Honestly, I think they have shown the whole of that (from season 1 episode 1 to the end of season 9) about four times since I've been here. When it finishes it just restarts - and they advertise it! Coming up soon, we've got How I Met Your Mother from the start... and that will be in a break during HIMYFUCKINGM!
Quite apart from that I suddenly find that Father Brown and the like have a kinda nostalgic appeal to me cos they remind me of the village where I grew up. But that's not really a reflection on their quality obviously...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's true that UK TV is brilliant in comparison to most of the globe, but I also agree with Version that there is something drab and depressing about a lot of it, especially in the continued golden age of American TV. Maybe I'm just too familiar with it by now, and maybe it's a Brexit side-effect, that I'm coming to feel intense antipathy towards anything that carries the scars of Britishness, even if objectively it's quite good

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone watched The Deuce?

I was a huge The Wire fan (who - other than Luka the spoildysport - wasn't?), and I liked the first few episodes, but I got annoyed by both James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal, which is a bit of a bummer as they're the co-leads (and Franco appears as TWO characters!)...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I saw the first series of The Deuce (I think that there is a second now right?) and I quite enjoyed it. It was more about atmosphere than plot really, didn't have anything driving it forwards but I think it captured how I imagined that milieu to be (which might be nothing like it really was) pretty well and that was enough to make it watchable.

Baboon - I hear you about the - real or perceived - parochialism of British tv and if I were there I wouldn't be able to separate it from everything that is happening. Such a depressing mess....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Best British TV I saw last year was A Very British Scandal and Patrick Melrose - if indeed these are British.

IdleRich

IdleRich
As an aside, I thought that Jaws was a brilliantly minimal title for the film but in Portugal (or at least on Portuguese telly) they go one further and simply call it Shark. I know because Shark 2 is on right now (and it was on yesterday and the day before I think).

sufi

lala
It's true that UK TV is brilliant in comparison to most of the globe, but I also agree with Version that there is something drab and depressing about a lot of it, especially in the continued golden age of American TV. Maybe I'm just too familiar with it by now, and maybe it's a Brexit side-effect, that I'm coming to feel intense antipathy towards anything that carries the scars of Britishness, even if objectively it's quite good

You'll need to catch the latest Danny Dyer vehicle then - sort of like Horrible Histories but swearier

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As an aside, I thought that Jaws was a brilliantly minimal title for the film but in Portugal (or at least on Portuguese telly) they go one further and simply call it Shark. I know because Shark 2 is on right now (and it was on yesterday and the day before I think).

Apparently when Brokeback Mountain was released with Turkish subtitles, the title it was given translates directly as "The Faggot Cowboys".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone seen Maniac? The Netflix series with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone taking part in some sort of clinical trial which has them hopping through different timelines and personalities.

I saw that. Quite good. But I was hoping for more, I think Jonah Hill is one of the best Hollywood actors now, fuck it, he's the best. Reuniting him with the girl from Superbad and an intriguing looking plot. I was really excited. The British girl was good I thought.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This Time With Alan Partridge

Anyone else just watched the first episode?

It certainly made me laugh, and all the usual Partridgeisms are present and correct - the extreme awkwardness, mild sleaze, terrible puns, desperate and pathetic competitiveness, deliberate mispronunciations ("anti-bee-otics") - but I'm not sure if there was anything in the humour that wasn't already fully developed in the 90s. If anything it felt a bit like Partridge turned up to 11, like an even more concentrated version of a familiar formula. Perhaps that's an inevitable result of some two decades of cringe-com as the standard mode of "thinking person's comedy".

More an observation than a criticism and I'll be watching the rest of it for sure.

Leo

season three of "the tunnel" is as good as the first two, would recommend.

wife started watching "shetland", first two seasons struck me as a somewhat small step up from "midsomer murders" but season three was decent, more aggressive and grisly involving a Scottish gang.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anyone else just watched the first episode?

It certainly made me laugh, and all the usual Partridgeisms are present and correct - the extreme awkwardness, mild sleaze, terrible puns, desperate and pathetic competitiveness, deliberate mispronunciations ("anti-bee-otics") - but I'm not sure if there was anything in the humour that wasn't already fully developed in the 90s. If anything it felt a bit like Partridge turned up to 11, like an even more concentrated version of a familiar formula. Perhaps that's an inevitable result of some two decades of cringe-com as the standard mode of "thinking person's comedy".

More an observation than a criticism and I'll be watching the rest of it for sure.

I haven't watched this yet, but it doesn't surprise me, what you say. I think I must be the only person who thought similarly about the film - it was fine, but didn't work as much more than a time capsule. 24 Hour Party People is still Steve Coogan's crowning glory for me - I love Partridge, but it's diminishing returns...as you say though, it's a poisoned chalice, being that influential, as it comes with inbuilt obsolescence if you don't move on.