GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Your talking to me like I dont know how music in 2010 works, im fully aware man, its fine, you CAN download the releases from the Grime scene for free if you want, but as I said before, if you want people to continue releasing stuff, then I suggest people start supporting. How difficult is that to understand?

Not that difficult. But how difficult is it to understand that sometimes the people who are downloading are the exact same people who are supporting? And that you have no way of telling them apart? What about people who have bought every single one of your records, but also paid puregrime $10 or whatever to skip the minimum post limit or whatever? Especially people overseas who typically use puregrime because they aren't often able to hear things like mixtapes the day they come out because no stores stock them here. What is that $10 versus the possibly hundreds of dollars they spent on you and your friends' music? In these cases you are actually punishing people who are in fact your biggest supporters. What I'm saying is you have no way of distinguishing these cases from cases where someone is just getting everything for free and giving nothing back, and as such, you aren't in a position to cast judgement.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
And would you also let off people for shoplifting because they pay taxes? And then tell the police they can't cast judgement over said people?

There's SO many free hours of podcasts that there's no excuse for illegal downloads... it's try before you buy week on Logan every week!

continuum

smugpolice
haven't we had this discussion about 1000 times before?

elijah has every right to pull people up who are stealing what he owns but beyond that downloading culture is a massive benefit to music imo.

totaldj

About 35mins of **some** my favourite grime instrumentals right now. If you missed pt.1 you can find that here.

Listen, enjoy, share, blog, whatever.

Big up. :D

Tracklist:
Skepta 'Cross My Heart' (Boy Better Know)
Terror Danjah 'Air Bubble' [Royal-T remix] (Butterz)
Terror Danjah 'Air Bubble' [Swindle remix] (Butterz)
SRC 'Powerman 6' (Dub)
TRC 'Oo Aa Ee' [D.O.K remix] (Butterz)
Virgo - Megaman (Dub)
D.O.K 'Keep On Making Grime' (Butterz)
Teddy Music 'Miss Asia' (Underground Unit)
Swindle 'Playground' (RWINA)
Terror Danjah 'Minimal Dub' (Hyperdub)
Mr. Mitch 'Centre Court' (Fortified Audio)
Starkey 'Rain City' (RWINA)
J-Sweet '2 Track' (Dub)
Royal-T 'Side Effect' (Boogaloo City)
TRC 'My Empire' (Butterz)
? 'Untitled' (Dub)

Download/stream:

320kpbs - http://www.sendspace.com/file/qs2mb3

160kbps - http://www.sendspace.com/file/mpy509

Mixcloud -

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
And would you also let off people for shoplifting because they pay taxes? And then tell the police they can't cast judgement over said people?

There's SO many free hours of podcasts that there's no excuse for illegal downloads... it's try before you buy week on Logan every week!

Hey sure, if Elijah wants I guess he can spend his time hunting down the people who are "stealing" "his" music. And I guess if you want you can reduce music piracy to the same old tired PSA comparison to shoplifting. But the point here is that music IS free now and is much easier to get for free than it is to pay for it. You can even do it from the comfort of your own home, and I reckon you probably do.

You just can't really expect someone nowadays to not take music for free when often it's easier to get it for free. All musicians at this point are basically asking people to buy music out of their good graces, since they are asking them to part with their money to pay for something they could probably more easily have gotten for free for the sole purpose of supporting an artist they feel deserves it. What I'm saying is that you're going to find it hard to convince people to find those good graces if you are groundlessly and publicly ostracizing them on the internet.

This one person in particular who Elijah has had a go at I can vouch for being a regular and long term buyer of not only his product, but other grime artists too. And now as a result of Elijah's rude assumptions, he can be pretty damn sure this guy isn't buying any more of his shit. How is that for building a "purchasing culture"? Sure, it sucks to feel (note: not "know") that someone has reaped the benefits of your hard work for free. But it also sucks to be publicly shit on by someone you admire, and HAVE been supporting, for no real good reason at all.

I mean personally, given the size of your little local scene and the way the music industry is now, I think you should all count yourselves lucky if someone in Canada is even DOWNLOADING your shit. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Sick Boy, is this person from Canada you are referring to actually yourself?

Nah, I'm referring to a guy who Elijah has been arguing with on twitter about this issue who happens to be a very close friend of mine. Which really only serves to illustrate how misplaced Elijah's assumptions are about him, since I actually KNOW about his buying habits. In fact he was just telling me how this weekend he'd planned on buying some Butterz slipmats before he found out he was an enemy of grime.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Nah, I'm referring to a guy who Elijah has been arguing with on twitter about this issue who happens to be a very close friend of mine. Which really only serves to illustrate how misplaced Elijah's assumptions are about him, since I actually KNOW about his buying habits. In fact he was just telling me how this weekend he'd planned on buying some Butterz slipmats before he found out he was an enemy of grime.

Elijah is within his rights to do what he has done if this person has genuinely downloaded illegal content. Occasionally it is justified to make an example of someone and your friend has been unlucky. He just needs to take it on the chin and move on.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Elijah is within his rights to do what he has done if this person has genuinely downloaded illegal content. Occasionally it is justified to make an example of someone and your friend has been unlucky. He just needs to take it on the chin and move on.

Oh sure, he's within rights. And this guy has moved on, in the sense that he's going to continue purchasing stuff after he's illegally downloaded it like he was doing before. But unfortunately for Butterz, this guy is also within his rights to not buy any more of their shit again for treating him poorly as an actual customer. I'm just speaking up because I think the argument for making an example of someone is a poor one, and it runs against many of the same things Elijah is claiming he promotes. I agree he is within his rights to make decisions like that, I just personally think he is wrong to.

continuum

smugpolice
Oh sure, he's within rights. And this guy has moved on, in the sense that he's going to continue purchasing stuff after he's illegally downloaded it like he was doing before. But unfortunately for Butterz, this guy is also within his rights to not buy any more of their shit again for treating him poorly as an actual customer. I'm just speaking up because I think the argument for making an example of someone is a poor one, and it runs against many of the same things Elijah is claiming he promotes. I agree he is within his rights to make decisions like that, I just personally think he is wrong to.

Fair enough I understand what you are saying maybe it does seem a little heavy-handed but it's not as if Elijah has just sprung this upon everyone. His recent blog posts advise on his stance about this issue presently and if people are going to flaunt what they are doing then they shouldn't be surprised if something like this has happened. You can go back and forth arguing this one until you are blue in the face but ultimately it isn't going to get you anything apart from notoriety.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
But the point here is that music IS free now and is much easier to get for free than it is to pay for it.

There's technology that makes music freely accessible, no one sane here is denying its existance, but there's no moral right to free access to everyone else's music, no matter how much you might like there to be.

Are you trying to argue that because someone has bought some grime, any grime, that they then have the moral right to the rest of it free? And if they've bought the 12" then they have the right to give it to people who didn't? Really?

You can even do it from the comfort of your own home, and I reckon you probably do.

you're flailing around in the dark again. i've never installed P2P in my life. why would i? i barely have enough time to listen to the monthly Rinse podcasts, let alone Kiss, BBC, Sub FM, Fact...

I mean personally, given the size of your little local scene and the way the music industry is now, I think you should all count yourselves lucky if someone in Canada is even DOWNLOADING your shit. But that's just me.

There might be additional side benefits for artists giving their music away but if it was the way to make money (ie through gigs) the majors (kings of making money) would be handing out their shit left right and centre?

But you're now saying producers should be thankful people are downloading their music for free without asking or paying for it? Wow...

Pandiculate

People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of £77 a year on music – £33 more than those who claim that they never download music dishonestly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...pend-the-most-on-music-says-poll-1812776.html

I illegally download most albums before I decide if I want to buy.

Webstarr

I'm with Elijah & Martin on this one. Why would anyone bother to download it illegally then buy it when its easier to listen on youtube first?

If a tune aint worth £1.30 to you then it aint worth having, no excuse now in the digital age, especially with the vast amount of free material legally available. PG is never going to go away but it is counter-productive for grime and has been for a few years now

MatthewH

makes strange noises.
Can anyone ID a grime/r&b tune with a chorus that goes "Run to the room" or "rule" or something like that?

It's at the 1h05 mark of this very excellent Scratcha RinseFM show, during a Starkey mix, so it's no doubt something Starkey-related, be it his track or a remix or on his label or whatever.

http://relay.exequo.org/rinsefm/podcast/Scratcha201010.mp3

It's a very, very cool tune. Really nice bass "whomp" imo.

Thanks!
Matthew

I do sympathise with Elijah, when you spend alot of money and time putting out vinyl releases and you see 30 pages people downloading it for free its extrememly frustrating. If everyone was selling thousands of records then no one would really care but its a struggle to release vinyl. The fundamental point with Pure Grime it is an organised operation at taking money from the Grime scene they've registered the domain abroad so they can't be prosecuted. I've thought about tracking them down and gathering some people to go and sort them out but its not really why I got involved in music

continuum

smugpolice
a lot of the people who use pure grime are like the most hardcore grime fans around though. they are the ones who had a copy of boy in the corner before it got released. if vinyl sales are bad how about a CD release?

a lot of the people who use pure grime are like the most hardcore grime fans around though. they are the ones who had a copy of boy in the corner before it got released. if vinyl sales are bad how about a CD release?

Your missing the point, we've done Cds and guess what website they end up! I fully accept that its impossible to stop people sharing and getting music for freebut to have it done in such an organised way and to have someone making money from it when most of the artists aren't living off it is really wrong