thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what about me you horrible cunt i want one i want one
3rd form dont even do em anyway, he ignores them all
and starts ranting at some impossible tangent to the central fact

look m8 i am not interested in boring feelings and putrid 17th century phenomenology when nina power's students at rohampton or goldsmiths or wherever were still listening to arcade fire and mumford and sons i was already formulating acid communism, by smashing through the frontiers to level 15. there is no need for conscious raising. the doctrine is dio, the social brain knows everything! the future society will put an end to idle chattering and psychedelically realise its potential with its eyes closed. no need to wank into a frenchman's sock. this is not a therapy playground, begin riots in the hospitals, rip up the doctors consultant papers, abolish their firms, full comunion with christ for everyone!

Last edited:

blissblogger

i was saying to luke the other week that i felt that you had two proverbial 'hats' you wore as a listener; the rock one and the dance one. the only rap you champion, you do so through a dance lens (or even a rock lens every now and then). tricky, timbaland, schooly d, migos... is that fair?

can you get into this by way of todd edwards?

it's okay. doesn't really go anywhere. bit low key for my tastes.

i don't think that's true about the rock lens or the dance lens informing the taste in rap

there are plenty of things that i really love - from 'the message' through 'eric b is president' through 'ain't no half steppin' through to things by jay-z, dilla, outkast, kendrick - where i suspect the reasons i like it are pretty much the same as a real hip hop head's feeling for them - beat, flow, wit, charisma, bass, production, vibe. i don't think there's a particularly dance-resonant (except in so far as hip hop is dance music) or rock-resonant angle to my enjoyment of those or sense of them being Important and Crucial

there is though a strand in hip hop where i feel like A/ the psychodrama of what's been staged within the record, what motors it psychologically, and B/ specific sonik properties to do with attack, etc do relate to rock strongly

so for instance DMX i really liked, not because he seemed to have certain things in common with a Henry Rollins in Black Flag, but through being grabbed by certain tunes and his whole thing, i then noticed an affinity - specifically in the way that Black Flag married aspects of punk to Black Sabbath. i liked the raspy growl, the shouty hooks, the viscerality, the doomy quality of e.g. "One More Road To Cross"

in the Eighties i did have a polemic (partly to wind up all the soulboys on NME and the style magazines) that emphasized the similarities between rap of the Schoolly D / Skinny Boys etc and rock (then considered absolutely verboten and consigned to history by them types). The commonality being noise, stabs-as-riffs, aggression, alpha-male dominance etc - so I would compare what was going on within a rap song to what was going within a song by Iggy Pop or Led Zep. (Def Jam doing the guitar-riff sampling thing certainly bolstered the polemic at that time).

And that's a pretty consistent lineage through rap - gangsta - yes rooted in specific social-racial realities but also in the psyche of the adolescent male - shared across racial lines - and his fantasies of unlimited power and a life with no constraints on desire

the logical culmination of that being the "we are the rock stars of today" thing in recent rap

to me that is the Q.E.D. of that polemic that i've been arguing since 1986.

and it makes sense historically because rock rebellion (in the pre-punk era at any rate) is partly sourced in the Staggerlee Mythos - which gangsta / trapperism is a new inflection of

Conscious rap i tend to find boring for the same reasons I find conscious rock - by and large - boring. The music has to be really really exciting and avant to overcome the non-liberation aspects of being lectured and hectored at. So Public Enemy yes, hooray. Likewise, Gang of Four. But once you strip out the jagged avant-isms or the sonic attack, and you left with the worthy sentiments or critique, I start to feel like i'm being detained. I know all this stuff already (or if i don't, i'd rather get it from a book) and agree with it, broadly speaking. Unless there's some extra sonic level to it I don't want to be educated or elevated.

Last edited:

blissblogger

i was saying to luke the other week that i felt that you had two proverbial 'hats' you wore as a listener; the rock one and the dance one. the only rap you champion, you do so through a dance lens (or even a rock lens every now and then). tricky, timbaland, schooly d, migos... is that fair?

probably more than a dance-slanted perspective or a rock-slanted one, it's a pop-slanted one

a lot of the time my fave rap tunes are the hits, the MTV favorites

like Tone Loc, "Funky Cold Medina", "Wild Thing" - fantastic tunes

no, he is not a great MC by any cognoscenti standards, but he supplies what the record requires - and he oozes personality

i always remember a great line by the writer Toure, where he said that, yes, Puff Daddy is a poor MC, technically - but he makes for a really good rap star

conversely, a lot of the things that your hip hop cognoscenti rate - the little local labels, the pre-fame mixtapes - to me that is just like alternative rock people who thought the real-deal grunge-era music was on labels like Amphetamine Reptile, groups like the Cows or Lubricated Goat

anyone who would choose those over Nirvana, well it seems like a very strange stance to me...

with rap - where mega-success and all-eyes-on-me supremacy is a core drive - it seems really counter-intuitive to fetishise the failures

like the blog i came across recently where it was asserted that Migos were only any good before 2014

that is some Flat Earth bizniz

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

fair enough.

you'd make a sweet boy very happy if you done a side by side close reading of 'trife life' back to back with your favourite tricky song. see where the divergence is.

blissblogger

blissblogger

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8xISi4JTzNk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ah i missed this invite

yeah

it's good - the wound-up beat, the thud of the bass, the discords, the jabber of the voices crowding the mic - edging into the migraine zone but certainly grabs the attention.

what i feel about the earlier Migos stuff, having heard it after the breakthrough stuff, is that it sounds like they are working really really hard

the tracks are sinewy and shouty, the whole feeling is hype

but what i really love - and feel is their distinctive achievement - is the mood on much of Culture and Culture II which is more like imperturbable nonchalance - the sublime glide of “Slippery,” the ethereality of the first half of "Motorsport" and its last section (ie. the bits without Cardi and Nicki), "

and all those gurgling moan-drones and fluttery-shivery Auto-Tune wafts

on "Work Hard" on side 2 of Culture II, they don't sound like they're working hard - and that to me is more interesting, more unusual - this almost effete rapture

or "Movin' Too Fast" - which is slow, serenity tinged with melancholy - "My heart is so numb /I cannot cry /I don't got feelings"

this early tune - yes it bangs (knocks is the preferred lingo among the cogno, am i right?) but it sounds less unique to me - less miraculous

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
padraig should have got past his initial response to lick my nuts lick my nuts
should have peeled back that filmy layer to find what lay underneath
but he couldn't- the election was on, it's a terrible time in america, he couldnt give it his attention. it became a symbol and a focus for his disgust and despair. that's not his fault. it's unavoidable. wrong time to play the game
no. I 100% reject that premise and its underlying condescension - like I can't separate its particular nonsense from the current moment.

nothing lies underneath. it was a lazy sucking void of emptiness in 1994, it is today, it will be until the end of sentient human existence.

let's just move on.

padraig (u.s.)

in general this game has brought into relief just how little of worth luka/barty + I have to say to each other about the music we respectively find meaningful, or what we find meaningful in music. it's not a matter of taste, but of differing core values - whereas the other regulars and I can disagree but have enough understanding for discourse. that's not bad, but it does make l/b and I playing this game probably futile (barty to be fair is at least always game to try, credit to you). we should probably just stick to our true area of commonality - psychedelic mythopoesis/dissection of the now etc.

having said that, fuck it, let's keep trying to bridge the gap anyway

barty - don't worry, the talking drums themselves are minimal, it's post-disco everything and the kitchen sink club music, just vibe it out

CrowleyHead

I'd argue Reynolds understands rap as a danceFLOOR related field rather than from a dance-genre perspective

The NYC Rap he's finding in disdain doesn't work in a club outside of certain exceptions, it's car, insular, withdrawing music AND Black American to boot (in opposition to Tricky who's at least British and his hip-hop draws from post-punk and is a lot more of a post-punk like collage than the American Pop Regurgitation). It's a lot like jazz afficianados loving music that strayed from its dancefloor lineage and thereby became a thing that celebrated itself but often became more and more estranged from being Pop minded and thus finding itself displaced.

Also I don't imagine a lot of West Coast gangsta rap for all it's many sonics interesting him because it deals with the non-NYC sense of American spaciousness. Most non-NYC Rap in the US literally sounds built to roll over hills and stretch, it doesn't have the compact tension and burst feeling of a lot of UK music that comes from claustrophobia.

This is something I realized from of all people, Johnny Marr arguing the difference between the music of Skip Spence and Syd Barrett who were parallely 'mad' psych singer-songwriters but resulted in different outpourings based on the landscape that manifested in the culture and it totally makes sense in the case of NYC (a city that's 5 sub-cities and then ringing suburbs, international communities coming in and dogpiling one atop another on a relatively small amount of land into towers that just endlessly wind up into the skies) and then the rest of the country who functions normally for rap.

padraig (u.s.)

luka - I remember you admitting to liking this one so no excuses to shirk my man

take my hand and reach for ))):love:(((, you mystical bastard

padraig (u.s.)

and sum more

crowley - sorry I missed you last time around (I got that K-pop jam in a minute)

I recall you as a Ministry fan (rite?) so I gift you the ultimate industrial-disco sleaze tune

padraig (u.s.)

third - don't report back, just listen to this mix at your leisure and know that somewhere on planet earth (specifically, Belgium) there are people digging your vibe

padraig (u.s.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-SK6cvkK4c0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
welllllllll let's see

into that stutter-chipmunk thing in the beginning, that comes back whenever they quasi-rap, bits of vocals cut-up science (freestyle razor blade edits, ardkore, etc what have you) percolating down thru global folk consciousness in pop lineages

it reminds me of Ghost In the Shell TV show theme song, probably the only J or K-pop song I can even half-remember

my interest wanes at the genera-pop chorus which seems like it could be any recent girl group/boy band from anywhere, tho otoh it perks back up a bit at the little "hey" or whatever popping in the background

enjoy the color scheme of the video - that blood red room, all the pastels, those bits where it looks like they're in a dollhouse filtered thru Black Mirror. the bowling alley makes me think of the coda of There Will Be Blood, and I wonder if that's intentional. actually now I'm thinking of that part in the video for Take On Me where dude falls thru the mirror (does that happen? I think it does)

it seems like a pretty alrite love(? breakup? idk) song - a love song one AI might write for another AI in our glorious dawning post-human future

in general, reminds me of a character in a William Gibson short story (cyberpunk ayyyy) who is described as having a face that is a ""conservative amalgam of the past decade's leading media faces", but in musical form - possibly if I knew the territory better - what makes pop for me when I can get into it are the distinguishing idiosyncratic touches

padraig (u.s.)

Free for starters, James Gang, Guess Who, Steppenwolf

i suppose it's a good riff - and it does blaze out nicely in the home stretch
right right all interesting information

bit of context - idk Mott the H beyond "All the Young Dudes". I heard "Rock + Roll Queen" a few months ago when I was trying out that recent HBO series Vinyl (short review: nope), and it's on a list of songs the record label A+R suggests to the show's Dead Boys meets Richard Hell (but minus the intelligence) proto-punk band to suggest acceptable compromises of how they might smooth their edges to make something radio playable. said characters were like this is pretty great and I agreed.

my interest in glam being generally limited to the degree which it exists as proto-punk and/or a brand of 70s heavy guitars

or, put another way - my interest in glam coincides with the points where it has "good riffs", "20th Century Boy" for example

the "good riff" is the entire point of "Rock + Roll Queen" - if anything accentuated by the extremely generic bare-bones rock cliches surround it

the LP version puts it across better - the last 3.5 minutes just a parade of solid guitar moves over rhythm section and a couple alternating riffs

to hear it located it with proto- and/or sub-Grand Funk RR blooze-derived rawk like James Gang, GW, Steppenwolf is an interesting choice, also

I did give "Violence" a listen - eh. tolerable and that marginally. wouldn't willingly choose to listen to it again. any time they're finally about to make a good guitar move the dumb violins-violence bit comes in and steps all over it.