North Korea

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
First the sinking of the Cheonan...

...and now this: two SK marines killed as NK shells island base.

To say nothing of the North's nuclear tests in 2006 and again last year.

Is anyone here watching NK in any detail? I just can't see how any of this is in the North's strategic interest, I mean even China seems largely to have washed its hands of this sad, mad little state. The combination of medium-range missiles with apparently viable nuclear weapons (the test of 2009 seems to indicate a device with a yield of a few kT - enough to make a nasty mess of a small city) is obviously worrying to South Korea, but surely any belligerent activity of that sort with an ally and trading partner of the US would be essentially suicidal?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The GUardian is covering it as though it's the beginning of World War III, which is reassuring. (Very) Vague rumours that Kim Jong Il has died.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
We need a South Park episode with Ahmedinejad and the new Kim swapping parts from their chemistry sets...

Edit: the doom-harbinger-ing seems to come mainly from the people commenting on the Guardian's coverage (including someone called '2012TheEnd' :slanted:) rather than from its reporters. I can understand the paper's rolling updates, I mean this is a big story however you look at it.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Edit: the doom-harbinger-ing seems to come mainly from the people commenting on the Guardian's coverage (including someone called '2012TheEnd' :slanted:)

What's the next end-time after 2012? I'm hoping we get a bit of a rest after this, or are we just fated to repeat it every 12 years?

craner

Beast of Burden
This is mainly because Kim is about to die and North Koreans are starting to escape in a steady stream -- after decades of starvation and Nazi-style racial propaganda (about South Koreans!) and a few years of South Korean TV and Chinese pirate DVDs leaking inwards. Great -- except it's not, because Seoul, like Delhi, is vulnerable to annihilation.

muser

I'm living up in hokkaido at that moment, managed to sleep through the sirens and phone alerts.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, it seems hard to avoid the conclusion that they've tested a boosted fission device at least, although whether it's weaponized yet or not is a whole nother matter.

Please note that I am not your nuclear weapons expert. Please consult your actual nuclear weapons expert before forming policy or starting a nuclear war.

lol, v good