thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it stems from thirdfrom's thoma mann indebted view of the world.

he views music as an expression of people, their feelings, thoughts, emotions, ideas, etc.

my view is far more anti human than that.

the music he likes is oxford don antihumanism; a thought experiment. whereas me and corpse indulge in the real thing.

No because your antihumanism will culminate in the eventual obliteration of the species. if you really wanted to be antihuman you would listen to nothing but the same drone for the rest of your life. don't try invade my turf! Your music is far more indebted to past 20th century human cliches, like goth, bubblegum pop, soca, etc etc that you try and pass off as new.

Whereas mine is a soundworld, it doesn't matter about the cliches it is resorting. it is the cosmic overpowering that matters. in your world everything could be autotune soca and you'd be happy. and back we go to afrodiasporic tits.

which also gives me more roap to hang you. you said that most time signatures are emotionally unsatisfying to play. machines don't have emotions! kill your emotions! you don't exist. neither you nor corpse matter. an insignificant social production error by your mum and dad to churn out more babies for their bosses!

Last edited:

luka

Version and/or corpsey, how would you characterise the respective positions of barty and third?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also the stuff you really like is 93 dubs coming out of darkside. i keep telling you, i hate feminist sex, it's very boring, it's just as boring as protestant sex.

luka

Version and/or corpsey, how would you characterise the respective positions of barty and third?

Other people can answrr this question but im particularly interested to hear from these two cuties.

luka

In reality they both like absolutely any old shit. They're music obsessed and utterly undiscriminating. But leave that aside.

sadmanbarty

don't worry about it.

the joke was i was weaponising thirdform against himself. i was using the types of things he says, his aesthetic parameters and his general rhetorical style to endorse music he doesn't like.

the thomas carlyle reference, 'oxford don', revolution, antihumanism are all tropes he employs. i was appropriating them in order to stimulate conversation and and amuse fellow dissensians.

i admit that i have failed. i have failed chiefly because my party refuses to compromise.

sadmanbarty

I just skimmed it and saw some stuff about Corpsey having a wanking problem, Carly Rae Jepsen and fascism.

I’m not joking, that was the pre-in joke bit of the conversation. That was the bit we’re i was trying to have a serious, substantive discussion.

sadmanbarty

I’ve had months of disillusionment and frustration with dissensus’ inability to engage in substantive discussion. Maybe this whole time everyone’s just viewed me like a monkey wanking myself off in front of zoo-goers and didn’t even bother to read what we were talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sadmanbarty

No not that stuff. Nobody understands what thirdform’s saying including himself. He’s a performance artist.

The bit before that (wanking, Jepsen and fascism). That was intended as an exploration of pop music’s input uses and impulses. What drives pop music? I posited it was a maternal drive. Others could posit economic, racial, gender, religion all sorts. But that discussion didn’t happen. People were alienated by it before it even began.

sadmanbarty

which speaks to corpse's dereliction of duty. he understood what i was saying and said that it'd be an interesting discussion. he's also a poster that others won't dismiss. he's the bridge.

the silver age worked because he bought everyone together. his shyness these days means that everyone's just going "oh silly in jokes, i won't bother with this rubbish".

corpse, we need you.

help us corpse, you're our only hope.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

sadmanbarty

I think you can chuck distraction, pain and boredom into what drives pop music. If you look at the speed at which it moves, the number of areas it occupies (music, tv, radio, gossip sites, social media), it feels like the product of a society desperate not to be left alone with its own thoughts.

does anyone know why pop music is better at doing this than non-pop?

luka

Anti humanism isn't anti human. It's a reaching out of the imagination towards material process. But we've been through this before when I was trying to bridge the gap between third and Barty.

Barty why not put a new mask on? Say. Look, this is what I want to explore, I don't know how 'true' it might be but it strikes me as a potentially fruitful discussion. Please can you take me seriously and the discussion seriously and let's see where it takes us. Character roles are always there to be dropped and picked up, swapped, altered etc

sadmanbarty

I'd extended the distraction thing to all of popular culture though, I don't think it's exclusive to pop music. It's the same with politics, sport, news, entertainment and so on, it all feels like a painkiller to me.

our cognition is increasingly stimuli hungry in the age of the internet, iphones and social media. in what ways has pop culture accelerated to accomodate this.

sadmanbarty

Barty why not put a new mask on? Say. Look, this is what I want to explore, I don't know how 'true' it might be but it strikes me as a potentially fruitful discussion. Please can you take me seriously and the discussion seriously and let's see where it takes us. Character roles are always there to be dropped and picked up, swapped, altered etc

i've only ever been particularly anti-anti-humanism in thirdform's imagination.