Recommended Reggae Reissues

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:
this year, but i don't really rate it- not prime sugar

However, his Uptempo Showcase 10" album is just out on repress and IS.

Top Studio One riddims tho never an official release apparently, so you don't see it around much.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
petergunn said:
so neccesary, a 8 dollar reissue of a 200+ dollar 12"... some of the wildest lee perry ever, a 12" disco mix of him chanting over "chase the devil"

stonecold classic- mark iration always starts his roots sets with it. the bob marley tune on the other side also excellent.

Droid said:
Cheers for the Digital Dancehall comp info - Ill hunt them down. The best Jammys comp Ive got is the double CD 'Dancehall Roots' on 'union square music' (who?)

also compiled by ian mccann i think.

John Eden said:
However, his Uptempo Showcase 10" album is just out on repress and IS

i'm starting to regret starting this thread now- the £££ are being allocated too quickly. poverty ahoy!

henry s

Street Fighting Man
since she hasn't been mentioned yet, allow me to big up one Phyllis Dillon, and her Love Is All I Had retrospective...the missing link between lovers rock and the Brill Building...

redcrescent

droid said:
Digital Dancehall comp
Wayne Smith & Prince Jammy Sleng Teng & Prince Jammy's Computerised Dub (Greensleeves) is the full title, it's actually the Under Me Sleng Teng album with corresponding dubs. Deadly, brutally minimalist riddim business. Some bits sound like acid-drenched Yellow Magic Orchestra or something. You need this.

The other one is Firehouse Revolution: King Tubby's Productions in the Digital Era 1985-1989 (Pressure Sounds) which is more essential than next month's rent or what you will eat in the next few days. I always go for vinyl but get this on CD as there are two very good CD-only version tracks.

Dubstyle 80s, I need much more of this stuff. Anyone know any others like the above?

petergunn

plywood violin
redcrescent said:
The other one is Firehouse Revolution: King Tubby's Productions in the Digital Era 1985-1989 (Pressure Sounds) which is more essential than next month's rent or what you will eat in the next few days. I always go for vinyl but get this on CD as there are two very good CD-only version tracks.

Dubstyle 80s, I need much more of this stuff. Anyone know any others like the above?

dunno how much the tracklistings overlap, but this is a great king tubby digital LP that's always in and out of print

SOUNDCLASH DUBPLATE STYLE
e128fb07116c48195aa642461fc4b8be.jpg

matt b

Indexing all opinion
redcrescent said:

winston riley productions danchall techniques 1986-91 (maximum pressure- as is firehouse revolution).

the king jammy's comp on max pressure. good, but its not a patch on the above.

dancehall roots double cd (unionsquare music) as mentioned by droid.

ragga soundclash (unionsquare music)- companion to above.

fashion statement: the fashion records story (RAS)- picked up in NY, so might not be available here. absolutely fantastic.

trojan ragga boxset.

jammy's superpower allstars i've already mentioned . actually 3 volumes of 2xcd each or 12xlp which makes more sense (i'm missing one lp)

should keep you busy.

Last edited:

redcrescent

matt b said:
should keep you busy
...and well broke this year!

Have some of these (Trojan boxset, Tubbys soundclash dubplate style 1 + 2) and the rest won't be long coming!

Thanks for the recommends, matt + peter + everybody. Bless.

zhao

there are no accidents
I bought the Satta Massagana vol. 1 collection which is nice... not a single weak version on there.

just got Wackies vol. 2, which I might like better than the first collection.

2stepfan, I feel you bruva, I feel you...

D

droid

redcrescent said:
The other one is Firehouse Revolution: King Tubby's Productions in the Digital Era 1985-1989 (Pressure Sounds) which is more essential than next month's rent or what you will eat in the next few days. I always go

That LP is truely incredible. Most essential thing mentioned here so far IMO.. I actually bought 2 copies on vinyl for mixing... Original 7"s from this era are disgustingly rare/pricey...

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
Original 7"s from this era are disgustingly rare/pricey...

Repress ting at Dub Vendor:

Lloyd Hemmings Rude Boy
Revival 7" Firehouse 7" 3.00 INFO
Lilly Melody Pressure Me
Tinger Stewart Dry Up Your Tears
King Kong Babylon
Lukie D Centre Of Attraction
Anthony Redrose Under Me Fat Thing
Little John What Is Catty
Courtney Melody Who My Brother
King Everal After All
King Everal Special Singer

martin

----
Slightly dragging this off course, I'd love to get hold of comprehensive Top Cat and Peter Metro collections - does anybody know if there've been any of these in the past few years? There's a couple of 'comps' on Amazon, but there's loads of crucial tracks missing.

Would second 'Ragga Soundclash' and also the Wackies reissues, Horace Andy's 'Dancehall Style' and Roots Underground's 'Tribesman Assault' are incredible.

D

droid

john eden said:
Repress ting at Dub Vendor:

Lloyd Hemmings Rude Boy
Lilly Melody Pressure Me
Tinger Stewart Dry Up Your Tears
King Kong Babylon
Lukie D Centre Of Attraction
Anthony Redrose Under Me Fat Thing
Little John What Is Catty
Courtney Melody Who My Brother
King Everal After All
King Everal Special Singer

Yowch! Theres 50 euro worth of 7s Ill have to get... I usually avoid online shopping as i already spend to much in local and secondhand shops - but theres some real classics there...

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
Yowch! Theres 50 euro worth of 7s Ill have to get... I usually avoid online shopping as i already spend to much in local and secondhand shops - but theres some real classics there...

Dunno what quality is like tho so maybe try before you buy or at least just get a couple the first time!

juliand

Has anyone heard the Prince Far I compilation on Blood and Fire? I listened one of the ROIR cassettes into tatters about a decade ago and may have exhausted my appetite for Far I for all time--but I've been tempted.

orson

droid said:

the quality is ok ... they have b+w labels .. not the original red firehouse ones ... i got tinga stewart - dry up your tears, king kong - babylon and king everall - after all .. i have the king tubby digital comp on cd and was happy to come a long the 7" as i was hoping to get the versions to all those tracks .. but it got the same version on each of the 3 7" i got .. its the same instrumental that is on the cd the one that starts with that helicopter synth ting .. dunno .. just to let you know

Buick6

too punk to drunk
FOr reggae, reggae, you can't got past all the Bob Marley Trojan Label stuff..

Wackies stuff is good for the necommer and all the SOulJazz stuff is killer, but this particular CD, though instrumennal and bordering on dub, is totally utterly essential:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
listening to john eden's RSI radio show reminded me how good this comp. is:
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=20982

particularly if you liked the george phang/ powerhouse stuff- lots of earlier versions of the rhythms given to him by sly and robbie (i think), which featured on the cd compilation mentioned upthread.

i also (belatedly) bought 'down santic way' on pressure sounds*, which has, on side C 'late at night' (labelled as sung by william shakepare but in actual fact is a stunning performance by gregory issacs which i already had and loved) followed by an i roy toast and the dub of the same rhythm. GWAAN!

*again, mentioned upthread.

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
particularly if you liked the george phang/ powerhouse stuff- lots of earlier versions of the rhythms given to him by sly and robbie (i think),

the first time i ever heard anything by sly and robbie was that howie b produced album that came out about 5 years ago - ashamed to say i didn't realise they are big names in reggae that have been going a long time. what would recomend from their previous work?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
what would recomend from their previous work?

oh crikey! they're on hundreds (make that 1000s) of tracks and they've been through a number of periods stylistically- in the 80s they went all clean sounding (and produced grace jones etc), so personally, 1977-1982 or so is their best period (when they were in the revolutionaries): black uhuru, culture etc

this is a good starter for that period:
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=16882

they came good again later in the decade though (half pints 'greetings' etc).

basically, if you own a dozen reggae lps, a couple (at least) will feature the 'riddim twins'.