wayneandwax

boston jerk
i would like to second the request for "May Be Sum Day"

it's a "waltz" so not exactly the most DJ friendly, but that is maybe all the better reason to include it. so weird, so good.

excited to learn of this project. it's about time (both for producers like nate and for labels like mu)!

lilg

i really hope some of the kids get some real shine off this.

young tell em is excellent.
tha pope
solo
dj diamond.

besides electro bounce there doesn't seem a good place for buying juke. but then they don't have foot work tunes.

i used to live in chicago and had a sizeable collection. but i left my computer there and now it's just barebones for me.

dave quam is pretty good spot on with his recommendations.

staypuft

bwah bwah
the simplest I can break it down is that footwork is abstract, often atmospheric, and questionably danceable to anyone outside of Chicago, while juke is more uptempo and straightforward. they both share a lot of elements, like busy toms and looped utterances, but employ them in different ways.

this is probably suicide on a forum like this, but I'll make a loose comparison to halfstep-style dubstep and UK garage.. the former stripping away the pop sentiment and experimenting with subtle elements of the latter.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
this is probably suicide on a forum like this, but I'll make a loose comparison to halfstep-style dubstep and UK garage.. the former stripping away the pop sentiment and experimenting with subtle elements of the latter.

Not at all, it's a good comparison.

Thanks everyone for getting in touch and mu for putting in work, great news. It feels like the thread travelled through a wormhole! We made Contact! "If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space..."

Last edited:

nnazem

I've always bought hardware over digital but I'll be making an exception here, I'm taking this shit any way I can get it.

If it make you feel any better, i am investing heavily in vinyl, and there should be a new EP/LP about once a month!

Also, if you need help settin up that footworkers compilation, I'll help. I got into the business to start making a venue for this music, not be the dictator of it. Like I said, I can get you in contact with a lot of people...but honestly, things have changed around Chicago, but even back in the days, there were certain things that were never popular. I'll put up more info on that in a bit though.

And really, the difference between juke and footwork is debatable. I'll explain it more in a bit though. MBA FINALS EAT MY SOULLLLLLLLLL

CrowleyHead

I'm certainly intrigued. Mostly because, not to play my side's better, but I'm glad to see America firing off some of the innovation again.

jimitheexploder

Headhunter played quite a bit last night, its the first time I'd heard it in a club and it didn't disapoint. He pulled this one track up, wish I could remember what the hook was now so I could ask for an ID, it was insane.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Headhunter played quite a bit last night, its the first time I'd heard it in a club and it didn't disapoint. He pulled this one track up, wish I could remember what the hook was now so I could ask for an ID, it was insane.

Where did he play?

Btw, that Myor Tropical Heat compilation you've written about on your blog is awesome. May have to invest...

jimitheexploder

Where did he play?

Btw, that Myor Tropical Heat compilation you've written about on your blog is awesome. May have to invest...

Oli wrote that one, I'm James one of the others. It looks good that 12" though.

He played in Leeds at Wire. First hour or so of his set was funky followed by loads of juke before taking deep into the Headhunter stuff. I really dug it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah right - that soundcloud minimix is great.

Must try to catch him when he comes to London - funky followed by juke is a heavensent combination.

edit: sure this is old news, but for anyone who hasn't heard it:

Last edited:

drilla

i'm in the process of tagging up/making neat my archive of imeem rips... i'll share it via pm to whoever wants it. queue up. it'll be a few days but it's coming along.

it's comprised of rather poor recordings of stuff that was public, as low bitrate streams... so for the discerning music appreciator this will be in no way a deterrant to purchasing actual juke/footwork from artists and labels. i'll certainly be supporting those efforts...by buying anything hype that makes it out of chicago.

i think it's important to preserve the historical moment.. for me it's like alan lomax folk music archiving.. the internet is the public space and the sounds were there for anyone to hear, so here they are preserved forever.

clear out some harddrive space tho, there's a mess of it... whoaa :cool::cool::cool:

** oh and i recommend Dj Elmoe and Dj Roc as the next best or equal to Dj Nate... should be published.

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
sign me up for that imeem pack.

love how dj elmoe completely blurs the line between hyperspeed and pure ambience.

Last edited: