GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

is anyone watching verdict on bbc2? its got megaman on there from so solid acting like a bit of a braindead nob... (but fair play to him, hes very wary of people being stitched up by the courts)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Are you drunk? Wonder's album is serious.

It's a lot more forward thinking than the countless mixtape/street albums of mediocre MCing over dipset beats. I think Wonder's album is a lot more of an objective look of where grime could go, and seeing as he is a very reputable grime producer, I like that he is thinking in these ways.

I was really glad to see him take grime/dubstep production and attempt to move it in all sorts of directions without really bastardizing it, which is what virtually every other grime artist who has attempted to make an album has done. Unlike Roll Deep, Wonder saw some ways grime could evolve and did something great with it. It's still fully representative of the scene, totally an underground effort, and its experimentation isn't wanky or unrealistic.

I was waiting for an album like this for ages. Even though I wouldn't give it a 10/10, I don't think it even matters. It is a 10 in my head for even suggesting a viable and creative way to push the envelope in a genre I love.

Your chest, Wonder.

gumdrops

ill give it another listen if i can find it but i found the vocal tracks and the vocalists pretty crap (bar gods gift). considering 90% of the album was vocal-led, i find it dissapointing. then theres the fact amazing as what was, his tracks are quite limited in terms of their movement and palette - theres only so many things wonder can do. hes not exploding with ideas. maybe that kind of ultra stiff thing is just his style but he seems to rely on it too much as he cant think of any other way of doing things. and his melodic/ambient melodies arent really up to much. im filing this album under that 'good singles, not so good album' category of dance producers.

Last edited:

tox

Factory Girl
ill give it another listen if i can find it but i found the vocal tracks and the vocalists pretty crap (bar gods gift).

I thought Nio over Best Foot Forward worked well actually - probably my favourite track on the album. It sounds sort of out of tune which actually works really nicely. Comes across as sinister, but without just relying on showerman bars.

Still, horses for courses n all that.

mos dan

fact music
welcome to wonderland is a great album, so varied in terms of vox, but brilliantly held together by the production - i don't think it's that stiff at all.

(incidentally the aftershock album is similarly successful in this broad, rnb vox-plux-showeman-bars way)

and the wonder album didn't sink for want of trying in terms of crossover... it had a full launch at fwd, and fairly serious PR. my mate reviewed it for the new statesman, i reviewed it for the word.. obviously this isn't quite enough to 'make' an album in itself lol.

i saw klass a at the fabric dirtee stank showcase over a year ago, they were rrrraaabish.

it's just the delivery

I love that Stern Back tune by Dizzee: it's bars of total sense. it's the KLF's Manual for grime.

and produckle which is swag - his voice is way too measured now - all that mad frustration and anger is gone but....its evolution

there's a live version that's only seen light once on semtex's show which was much better - had a singalong, dirty south chorus, jumpy jumpy feel to it

now for my Diz fix I check Tinie Tempa, Ears (sometimes) or Dirty Dangerous

welcome to wonderland is mucky. my boy gave it album of the month

I've been saying for ages that grime/nukg producers should be doing this - wonder smacked it

that nio guy and track is swagalag lol

Last edited:

gumdrops

dirty doogz still has that spirit that dizzee used to have IMO... not heard that stern back tune (is that the industry one? cos if it is, that concept has been done before) but hopefully its good. id like to hear dizzee over beats like showerman - fast and raw...

nomos

Administrator
just follow instructions.
i don't understand the part about "look for the man wearing a fez at the end of the lane. give him the lily and inquire about the weather in marrakesh."

seems over complicated. :slanted:

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I fucking love that agent x mixtape, such a load of insanely good music. i also love how it you can hear the guys nokia phone going off when he gets a text. cheers for hosting this.

mos dan

fact music
anyone interested in a sweepstake on which politician will be first to mention 'grime music' or 'urban music' or 'rap music' when interviewed about the shootings in south london, and how long it'll take to become part of 'the debate'...

i'm going for john reid/sunday morning breakfast shows

with a saver on peter hain/tomorrow morning's newspapers

maybe it's time to put roll deep's 'badman' front and centre again, as weak as the song is?

sigh...

gumdrops

i know were meant to not like grime MCs doing hip hop tracks but this is really good - plan b feat skepta and jme - probably one of jmes best written and non-digressing verses. its on skeptas myspace page.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=63894865

just read the dubstep/grime column on pitchfork - seems wiley is only retiring from emceeing, not producing - cool. i think this is a good thing personally. i think all the war and hype hes been so obsessed with has taken away from what wiley is best at - beatmaking. maybe now hell raise the bar again...

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
what a ridiculously jokes cover

product_image.php

all about the oversized chupa chup

Hadouken are single of the week

on Zane Lowe's show?!?!!?

but the singer/mc is totally biting JME? would JME ever get single of the week?

"s***'s disgusting" (c) Cam'Ron

outraygeous

i mentioned this ages ago

currently, if your black - doing music is long.

hadoken get play outs everywhere playing grime music whereas grime events get closed down quicker than a kebab shop with cockroaches.

i reckon they have pics of grime mcs at the hq of operation trident.

big up venom thou - doing his thing