droid

Im beginning to think all these headfake articles are a headfake in order to prevent people from mobilising. Bannon is not a 6th dimensional chess player.

Leo

perhaps i was unclear, i never meant to portray the trump administration as "ultra-sophisticated multi-dimensional strategists", but i do think the distraction element is clearly in play. they throw so much shit against the wall that democrats (and the media) have already given up on pushing back against the outrageous things from two weeks ago. constant chaos and oppositional fatigue are how things slip through. new supreme court nominee neil grouch is to the right of scalia and would under most circumstances face a tough confirmation fight, but with some many cabinet nominees to oppose and a muslim ban to fight and dismantling of obamacare to deal with and appointment of bannon to the national security council to oppose, and trade agreements to react against and the mexican wall and revived keystone pipeline, etc....the minority party just doesn't have the bandwidth to strongly fight back on all those front.

it's not a sophisticated strategy, but it is a strategy to push things through.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think there is danger in both underestimating and overestimating the Trump regime. The danger in underestimating them lies in hoping that they whole junta will disintegrate within a few weeks under the weight of its own incompetence and just sort of go away, which seems like wishful thinking. (And even if it did, what then? Are they going to roll over and hand the White House to Clinton, or invite Obama and Biden back? A takeover by the military and/or intelligence and security services seems more likely.) The danger in overestimating them lies in the possibility of massively demoralizing everyone who is aghast at what's going on and paralyzing them with the thought that whatever actions they may take might be "just what they want us to do", according to their diabolical plan.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2016/11/29/titus-in-space/#.WJFcKh0HbGE.twitter

Here’s the pitch: Titus Andronicus in outer space.

You might have forced a smile, sitting through a meeting with Steve Bannon during his Hollywood years in the early nineties. Today, as Trump’s chief advisor, the world’s second-most-powerful man designate has other scenarios to sell. But before Bannon was merely taking over the free world, he was bent on conquering Tinseltown, and he had a serious obsession: he wanted to make a movie version of Titus Andronicus, Shakespeare’s bloodiest revenge play, rife with murder, rape, and disembowelment.

firefinga

I think there is danger in both underestimating and overestimating the Trump regime. The danger in underestimating them lies in hoping that they whole junta will just disintegrate within a few weeks under the weight of its own incompetence and just sort of go away, which seems like wishful thinking. (And even if it did, what then? Are they going to roll over and hand the White House to Clinton, or invite Obama and Joe back? A takeover by the military and/or intelligence and security services seems more likely.) The danger in overestimating them lies in the possibility of massively demoralizing everyone who is aghast at what's going on and paralyzing them with the thought that whatever actions they may take might be "just what they want us to do", according to their diabolical plan.

Nobody knows exactly what the "Trump regime" actually is, IMO there are two factions, one is the Trumpians who are possibly into this anti-establishment thing in some way believing their own propaganda that "the establishment" is some sort of that liberal behemoth consisting of Soros' sponsored "globalists" waging war on the white race or something. And then there is the Republican conservatives who now have the majorities they need to finally dismantle the rudimentary welfare system and get rid of any restricitions on "free enterprise". And that group will let Trump run amok as long as he doesn't endanger their big business agenda. Some of the contradictory positions of those two groups might cause serious rows - or don't. So far, it seems to me all those chaotic measures from Trump had the aim of testing the waters, seeing who is loyal and who isn't.

If Trump falls, then it's because the Republican establishment will impeach him after they got their pro big business agenda through and won't need him any longer.

And regarding the protests: these will die quickly, it's just a matter of attrition.

luka

Protests were held throughout the '80s and early '90s, The last time politics was this polarised so I think you're almost certainly wrong to be so cynical

firefinga

Protests were held throughout the '80s and early '90s, The last time politics was this polarised so I think you're almost certainly wrong to be so cynical

I am not cynical at all, just looking back - I mean you UK lot especially have protested Thatcher for over a decade. Resulting in nothing.

luka

There's ultimately nothing you can do about the majority of voters being malevolent and spiteful and sadistic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's ultimately nothing you can do about the majority of voters being malevolent and spiteful and sadistic.

Worth repeating, I think, that Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million. His catastrophic approval ratings suggest even many who voted for him (perhaps, as with Brexit, thinking it was a throwaway 'protest' vote) are probably rueing their decision already. It was disillusion with the Democrats and lack of enthusiasm for Clinton, not massive support for Trump, that 'won' him the election.

Leo

trump's base doesn't like everything he's done so far...they absolutely LOVE everything he's done so far, and view the protesters here as just a bunch of whining, sore loser coastal elites. and they couldn't give two shits about protesters in foreign countries. trump's low approvals and high disapprovals are coming from democrats, independents and probably some embarrassed republicans.

firefinga

trump's base doesn't like everything he's done so far...they absolutely LOVE everything he's done so far, and view the protesters here as just a bunch of whining, sore loser coastal elites. and they couldn't give two shits about protesters in foreign countries. trump's low approvals and high disapprovals are coming from democrats, independents and probably some embarrassed republicans.

Approval ratings are just a gimmick-y invention for politainment anyways and good only to fill air-time slots. And pointing at the popular vote is flogging a dead horse really. The POTUS isn't made via the popular vote, end of. And if it was, all the campaign strategies/tactics would possibly be fundamentally different. Sad to say, but the popular vote doesn't make a strong case, either.

rubberdingyrapids

i cant stand trump's politics (if you can call it that) but crying liberals make me feel embarrassed.
half the time the crying is just a call to look at how superior they believe they are, 'look at my enlightened nature' tears'.

Last edited:

droid

Yeah, nothing worse than crying liberals.

1732803_1280x720.jpg

C3GUugpXAAEbVK7.jpg