Gardening zeal on Radio Five Live

mos dan

fact music
http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/

"A lot of people are really getting into vegetables now"

It's on air now, or you can listen back to Nick Wallis from midnight onwards 8/08/08 for the next week - they're really going gung-ho with their gardening chat in a way that's so incredibly british. It's just rather amusing. It's not the sombre tone of gardener's question time, it's something a bit more populist. And has a guerrilla gardener.

Am I off the mark in thinking gardening is a quintessentially british pursuit? In the way that it's carried out, at least.

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
the ultimate quintessentially british pursuit would probably be gardening in the garden shed (and not the sort involving sodium lamps, foil etc. ;))

On my last allotment site there was an old geezer who used to sublet his shed to some naughty boys for illicit cultivation.

You may laugh at the gardeners but you'll all be round scrounging my spuds when peak oil comes.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
You may laugh at the gardeners but you'll all be round scrounging my spuds when peak oil comes.
Would probably be an idea to start building one these, just in case -

pac6title.jpg

http://www.xinventions.com/main/spud/pac6.htm

sufi

lala
Been investigating possibilities of cultivating the chickpea in UK, per Brexit
and it's not looking that good :(

martin

----
Been investigating possibilities of cultivating the chickpea in UK, per Brexit
and it's not looking that good :(

I had this idea too. Get a place with a garden and grow my own spuds and chillis and live on pesticide-free veg stews while society breaks down and goes to war over a can of tuna.

Why isn't chickpea cultivation looking good over here?

I think you have to learn to be quite sadistic with squirrels and birds, to protect your crops.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why isn't chickpea cultivation looking good over here?

Well they're native to the Middle East/north Africa sort of region, aren't they? So climate might be an issue. Still, give it a couple of decades...

martin

----
Well they're native to the Middle East/north Africa sort of region, aren't they? So climate might be an issue. Still, give it a couple of decades...

I assumed Sufi would just grow them in a greenhouse with a massive heat lamp?

Admittedly, I know as much about growing beans as I do about jazz.

martin

----
Pest control might be a pre-requisite for a decent crop.
I'm not sure getting off on it is.

I'm just saying it's easy to be all things bright and beautiful when you haven't got skin in the game.

Squirrels trying to dig up your chillis - well, you're going to have to beat some to death and crucify them upside down as a warning to the others, unless you're happy for them to binge on the lot.

luka

chickpeas are 30p a tin in aldi. just bus fares to your allotment would be way more than that.