faustus

I really enjoyed Cyclo, enough to write a long essay on it - but I have to say, this stuff does look like it could have spewed out by a speculative-realist random text generator:

Yeah, I agree, I wan't comparing the two. I found the opening of the book (in Istanbul iirc) really enthralling and then I got a bit lost for want of plot - call me old-fashioned.

But the thing about the random text generator sums up my feelings towards the interview very succinctly, nicely put :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Suppose you're Iranian philosopher-writer-polymath and speculative-realist cause celebre Reza Negarestani. Suppose further that your wife's birthday - a big one - is approaching, and you want to get her something special. Suppose you commission H. R. Giger to design a dress for her, and suppose that he in turn looks for inspiration to David Lynch's adaptation of Frank Herbert's gothic sci-fi epic Dune. I think what would result would probably look something like this:

AZZEDINE_08kleiner_3.jpg

:D

Last edited:

you

I'd rock that with some rick owens man-heels and douse my bad self in Jicky. word.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not sure what 'Jicky' is but that sounds cool. But only if you get your greasy mits on it before I steal it, have it adjusted if necessary and present it to my girlfriend...

you

Dissensus should know that was the esteemed Mr Tea's link ^^

Yeah, I thought that, I had no business in reading that....

you

I recommend the article by eugene thacker, very good - really into him right now.....

nomos

Administrator
I recommend the article by eugene thacker, very good - really into him right now.....
Just grabbed this - thanks for the link. I was enjoying In The Dust Of This Planet before getting diverted by teaching and whatnot. Has anyone read Harman's Lovecraft book? I went on bit of a tear last night - ordered that, Bogost's Alien Phenomenology and the vampire squid book that sufi mentioned.

you

Just grabbed this - thanks for the link. I was enjoying In The Dust Of This Planet before getting diverted by teaching and whatnot. Has anyone read Harman's Lovecraft book? I went on bit of a tear last night - ordered that, Bogost's Alien Phenomenology and the vampire squid book that sufi mentioned.

nomos - we should talk,... er I literally just finished emailing a woman who's reading the book - regardless of if you are her or not we should talk.*

* - the reason I say that is she refers to me as "you" in all the texts and emails

I finished DotP today, Slime Dynamics are next, then Harms LC tome... this is all preparatory for a cyclo reading group me and this Phd guy are planning. I need to get that squid book, gonna rip Dante and Thackers After Life first tho fo sho...

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Yeah, it wasn't me. I'm mostly man - my avatar deceives. Along the same lines: every time I land on the home page and see "Last post by you" I think "No I never."

I'm curious about After Life. It looks a heavier go than DotP. I'm well-versed in D&G and related, but Aristotle and Kant far less so. Jane Bennett's Vibrant Matter was alright - similar ideas (very broadly) but not so mystically-inclined. Also, I think, overly brief in that it doesn't really develop the problematics it raises.

I might be more chatty around here again in the next while. These SR/OO/etc. books have been piling up while I finished something large and consuming. Now I've got a bit more time to let my mind wander.

I've been meaning to ask: what music best suits Cyclo? There's something chthonic in Thomas Koner but it's too monolithic. Nate Young's Regression has some nice low-end bubble and squeak, but too much ambient space. Where's the Nemat-Sound of the Un(der)ground?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've been meaning to ask: what music best suits Cyclo? There's something chthonic in Thomas Koner but it's too monolithic. Nate Young's Regression has some nice low-end bubble and squeak, but too much ambient space. Where's the Nemat-Sound of the Un(der)ground?

Pretty much anything by Cyclobe, I reckon. Their first one, Luminous Darkness for me

but others like their last one, "Wounded Galaxies Tap At The Window"