Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

CrowleyHead

Was it innovative? If so what was innovative about it? If not, what were the precedents for it?

Was it paradigm shifty?

Was it a golden age of rap comparable to the mid-90's? Did it in any ways exceed the mid-90's?

What were some of the best choons to come out of it?

(Not strictly Atlanta by the way)

2014-2016 was when the creativity DIED.

CrowleyHead

Honestly before we get too far the links between Desiigner and Atlanta are drastically over-emphasized. Like yes, he's vaguely influenced by things Future and Thug do but he's also not at the same time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vk6BVZ-ijy0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You listen to this and ask yourself... how does he sound like an Atlanta rapper? He doesn't. He sounds like a kid who listened to Meek Mill's double-time and who does v. standard BK Punchline Rap a la Uncle Murda (which Bobby sounded like on most of his tunes)

Which, speaking of

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BqB7PhInGYc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went on a tangent that Luka saw earlier in the week where I was v. obsessed with how rap writers/bloggers afficianado don't talk about how things in the scene are influencing others, it just gets very territorial over some arguable Major Force Of The Scene getting ripped off by lessers like no, Future is obviously a bigger rapper than Desiigner, there's no point in worrying about how Future affects Desiigner. Nobody cries about how Bryson Tiller affects Drake.

For Simon since he's lurking, and the older rockists, it'd be like crying about OH THAT NASTY KILLING JOKE IS RIPPING OFF JOY DIVISION. Joy Division were (and are) more important and successful like... who's threatened?

luka

2014-2016 was when the creativity DIED.

oooh barty are you guna take that? defend your thesis! quickly listen to some -Yung LA, D4L, Travis Porter, Rich Kidz- on youtube so you can confidently dismiss them out of hand.

luka

yeah do and can you post the artistic peaks of 2014-16 but not young thug or future

luka

Rae Sremmurd sound a bit like Rich Kidz. i hate the name travis so ive always made sure not to listen to music by anyone called travis.

luka

can you make us one of those youtube playlists barty and crowley and then we'll vote on which one is the most paradigm shifty

sadmanbarty

yeah do and can you post the artistic peaks of 2014-16 but not young thug or future

when i've finished work i'll make a playlist of my favourites and stuff i think's innovative. includig thug and future thiugh, you can't take the biggest weapons out of my arsenal just when i'm about to make my last stand agaisnt the stampeding hoards.

luka

ok. fair enugh. im not working today. its snowing. taking it easy. corspey what is your opinion on this? offer a firm assertive opinion.

luka

course not. not enough talk about violence though. at least london rap keeps violent content alive and well.

luka

the samurai code of honour and extreme physical retribution. last bastion of manhood.

luka

how can you practice extreme violence when youre a dribbling opiate addict? pissing your pants in a xanax coma.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I think the two best producers in rap ATM are Atlanta producers - Metro Boomin and MikeWillMadeIt (although Metro was born and raised in Missouri and MWMI was from outside Atlanta, though from Georgia). The connection between these two (not to mention Southside/Luger et al) is Brick Squad - OJ and Gucci Mane. Interestingly, looked up Luger and he's from Virginia, and Zaytoven was born in Hamburg, moved to San Francisco, but came through in a big way working with Gucci in Atlanta - I suppose Atlanta must be a magnet for producers and rappers - and Wiki confirms my vague suspicion that it's a magnet for black americans generally:

WIKI: 'Atlanta has long been known as a center of black wealth, political power and culture; a cradle of the Civil Rights Movement[1] and home to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It has often been called a "black mecca".'

Also useful is the Wiki on Atlanta hip hop

In 2009 the New York Times noted that after 2000, Atlanta moved "from the margins to becoming hip-hop's center of gravity, part of a larger shift in hip-hop innovation to the South." Atlanta hip-hop’s pop breakthrough—everyone from Jermaine Dupri to OutKast to Lil Jon—involved the blend of various distillations of hard-core sounds from the West, bass beats from Florida, and styles and images from the North.[8] Producer Drumma Boy called Atlanta "the melting pot of the South". Producer Fatboi called the Roland TR-808 ("808") synthesizer "central" to Atlanta music's versatility, used for snap, crunk, trap, and pop rap styles.[1] The same article named Fatboi, Shawty Redd and Zaytoven the four "hottest producers driving the city".

Didn't even think about how Lil Jon was from Atlanta...

I would guess that this melting pot cosmpolitanism partly explains why you get characters like Andre 3000 coming out of Atlanta, and why Atlanta seems to be at the forefront of this dyed-dreadlock generation of flamboyantly dressed rappers. (Young Thug as an Atlantan spin on Lil Wayne.)