Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think rap music ruined my ear for poetry, maybe - I can perceive all these effects when they're highly compressed and intense and obvious. Poetry is too subtle for me - it's much easer for me to 'get' it when it rhymes .

sadmanbarty

I think rap music ruined my ear for poetry, maybe - I can perceive all these effects when they're highly compressed and intense and obvious. Poetry is too subtle for me - it's much easer for me to 'get' it when it rhymes .

“Hi I’m jack and this is LitCrit [cutaway] it’s lit! [end cutaway] the YouTube chanle where we pretend books aren’t boring by comparing them to music. Today’s episode will look at the great gatsby by way of Ariana geande’s ‘seven rings’. Pony tail paaarrrttyyy!”

sadmanbarty

rat-a-tat-tat

drop that, shot that
If you want Buju, man got that, ban and TT smash it and dot that, chop that

dip it, ballistic
Push in my shank and twist it, pebs in cling, that’s Oreo biscuits

sadmanbarty

They make money to splash on the hotties
We love swammies and big boy dotties
Dip dip donnies and kidnap puppies
The slogans money and run down bodies...

Man scream 300
Ride in abundance

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've realised that they disguise some clever lyrics and punchlines because the rhythm is so dominant. They don't telegraph punchlines or wordplay.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
rat-a-tat-tat

drop that, shot that
If you want Buju, man got that, ban and TT smash it and dot that, chop that

dip it, ballistic
Push in my shank and twist it, pebs in cling, that’s Oreo biscuits

Prevalence of short vowel sounds e.g. 'o' rather than 'oh', 'i' rather than 'I'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The balaclava in drill - obviously about disguising identity, and of course the slang is all code, but

So is the STYLE. The style obscures individuality (at least to the outsider), whereas grime emphasised individuality.

It obscures punchlines, wit, education, etc.

Individuals subsumed to crews and postcodes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lossy-page1-3670px-B-2_Spirit_Dyess_AFB_Air_Show_2018-19.jpg

sadmanbarty

south london morse code rap tradition*; fast chat, garage rap, uk drill

* we've got to stop calling things 'continuum' it was great when si did it. bit weird when anyone else does it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's never occurred to me before (and it's obvious) that grime and garage MCs developed their style for live performance, whereas drillers main stage is youtube, hence less need for histrionics, funny accents, shouting.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Staccato/Legato

I was about to theorise about the death of legato and then I happened to put on that new Schoolboy Q song with Travis Scott singing 'Chopsticks' - and I realised that autotune is legato.

But then you've got Migos et al flowing largely in staccato monosyllables...

That's why when incognito sings 'juuuuju' its extra effective cos it comes out of this staccato rattle

sadmanbarty

like all the best things in life, it owes to dancehall.

when me and luke saw simon in walthamstow library he did about 30 seconds of this himself. not bad actually considering.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was wandering round hill tops on my jacks lonely like a cloud
I was feeling shit when all at once i saw bare yellow flowers

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The balaclava in drill - obviously about disguising identity, and of course the slang is all code, but

So is the STYLE. The style obscures individuality (at least to the outsider), whereas grime emphasised individuality.

It obscures punchlines, wit, education, etc.

Individuals subsumed to crews and postcodes.

'the mask'!!!

i knew I could connect drill and yeats somehow :crylarf: