Online (post-geographic) Localism.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey is the next tory. all that romanticism and modernism is indoctrinating him to be our next ruler.

As for the Josey Rebelle thing, the problem is the house and techno crowd were not into the jungle, the house and techno crowd are not even there for house and techno. it's become a spectator sport for white middle class wankers to show how woke they are by seeing a black female dj. they were all listening to Four Tet in 2014 when Josey was doing her rinse shows.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kleptostep

An electronic/dance genre based upon stealing bits from other dance genres. Essentially the resurrection of ardkore. The producers have made use of new soft synths but not enough use of the truly 21st century way to make music - a patchwork of your favourite things, not granted reverence, mined for adrenaline. Lean INTO the chaos of the internet. Forget depth, enjoy the surface mania.

I have a horrible feeling this already exists and it's a 2 many DJs set.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hardcore sampled existing popular music forms but since then there's too much of a... auteur theory in dance music.

Even if it didn't work as music you could say it was a satirical art form critiquing how we're drowning in the past

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah but part of the problem is that a) the distribution is fucked in JA and B) that stylised autotune stuff is harder to sample because you can't vocal science it in the same way, i thought the hardcore sampling was more radical than autotune because with autotune unless we're talking about quavo it's that drugged out mumble. where as with hardcore there are all those weird key clashes and well, it was basically a proletarian version of concrete weren't it.

sadmanbarty

dance music functioned in the US as a cultural haven for homosexuals (particularly black and latin ones) and in the UK as an expression of west indian integration.

as being gay became more acceptable in the US, dance music lost it's primary social impetus. in the UK, form 696 meant that dance music became an untenable medium of racial integration.

dance music no longer has any populist purpose. it's done. game over.

think the reason people've been so hostile to drill is because it shows that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
dance music functioned in the US as a cultural haven for homosexuals (particularly black and latin ones) and in the UK as an expression of west indian integration.

as being gay became more acceptable in the US, dance music lost it's primary social impetus. in the UK, form 696 meant that dance music became an untenable medium of racial integration.

dance music no longer has any populist purpose. it's done. game over.

think the reason people've been so hostile to drill is because it shows that.

I would agree with this. ftr I'm not hostile to drill, I just find it bit boring.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
B) that stylised autotune stuff is harder to sample because you can't vocal science it in the same way

How about a different way?

Also in kleptostep you're allowed to not only sample the same sorts of songs hardcore sampled (and do so identically) but you are also allowed to sample the sampled versions from hardcore records

In kleptotopia all thievery is valid

luka

Some Reasons for hostility to drill
Various 'Falls' in biblical sense

Moral fall into aggression (directed inwardly as self destruction as well as outwardly)

Fall into ego and individuality from ideal of we all live as one family dancefloor

Fall into apeing cultural economic military hegemon USA after a period of relative independence

Fall into segregation after period of relative integration and multiculturalism

All of these trends pre date drill snd even road rap, it's more a question of degree. Equally there never was a rave utopia free of all race class culture creed gender distinctions, again a question of degree.

Ultimately though, things change and you can't hang onto the past. Like it or lump it

sadmanbarty

Some Reasons for hostility to drill

Fall into apeing cultural economic military hegemon USA after a period of relative independence

The most frustrating thing about drill is that it's called "drill". it has fuck all to do with american rap and if it was called something else i honestly don't think people would even make a connection; it would viewed relative to the hardcore continuum. the rhythmic language of the drums is all nuumy, the whole sound world it occupies is different from american rap, the flows are all different, even the bass sounds. i can't think of a time a genre's name has done so much damage to it's ability to receive accurate critical appraisal.

version

The most frustrating thing about drill is that it's called "drill". it has fuck all to do with american rap and if it was called something else i honestly don't think people would even make a connection; it would viewed relative to the hardcore continuum. the rhythmic language of the drums is all nuumy, the whole sound world it occupies is different from american rap, the flows are all different, even the bass sounds. i can't think of a time a genre's name has done so much damage to it's ability to receive accurate critical appraisal.

Didn't everyone hate the name 'grime' though?

luka

interesting thesis. Maybe you should write an essay about it?

sadmanbarty

Didn't everyone hate the name 'grime' though?

yeah, i was going to say that everyone hates genre names, but though they might be embarrassing or inaccurate they don't actively harm people's assessment of the music in the same way 'drill' does. critics were able to asses grime for what it was, whereas with drill you've got the most pioneering, exciting music the uk's produced in 15 years but people see the name "drill" and dismiss it offhandedly as some bloke from peckham pretending to be from chicago.

sadmanbarty

interesting thesis. Maybe you should write an essay about it?

apparently i've got to write so that people who haven't spent the last decade on dissensus can understand it. takes all the fun out of it. what do you mean 'tresillo' turns people off?! i can't cum unless someone says it during sex!

luka

apparently i've got to write so that people who haven't spent the last decade on dissensus can understand it. takes all the fun out of it. what do you mean 'tresillo' turns people off?! i can't cum unless someone says it during sex!

If I were you I would fight tooth and nail for that tresilio. Or forego fame and fortune and just write it for us.

luka

yeah, i was going to say that everyone hates genre names, but though they might be embarrassing or inaccurate they don't actively harm people's assessment of the music in the same way 'drill' does. critics were able to asses grime for what it was, whereas with drill you've got the most pioneering, exciting music the uk's produced in 15 years but people see the name "drill" and dismiss it offhandedly as some bloke from peckham pretending to be from chicago.

luka

I was mostly just using it as generic example of what preceded drill and the associations drill carries as a result tbh but at the same time it is nuts

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Well it's not that pioneering in *the nuum lineage* no real vocal science, no bass science, no shattered glass sounds, no techy textures, is my point. like you seem to be wanting to slot drill into nuum even though nuum was dead by 07 anyway. You can say it's pioneering in terms of UK rap but that's a different story. It's a conservative regression to the song form in terms of a hardcore continuum context, but it is probably a progressive (maybe even revolutionary) development in UK rap.

Last edited: