SeaPunk / Chillwave / Nu gaze / Glo-Fi / Molly Pop / Witch Trap / Special Characters

zhao

there are no accidents
for the record, i totally made up "witch trap" on the fly when i made this thread lol

Secundus

Seapunk was famously a twitter post before it was an actual genre, which is why nobody has any idea what it is after it's been around for three years.

Numbers

Good thread. Fatima's stuff is among the most pleasing things I heard recently.

Gonna check out Ayshay.

joe.dfx

who knows...
none of it is actually anything particular.

most of the #tags are done as jokes and #trolls.

someone in my hometown booked the #seapunk kids when they were at their peak of fake stardom and they were horrible. it was mostly really shittty sounding progression era bukem jungle but i dont think they new anything about it and just happened to be making something similar (and thought they were onto something new, which is the best part.) but idk i didn't talk to them because they seemed like the "art school dropout" kids that are great at making big claims but their products are devoid of actual talent.

rubberdingyrapids

i like the fatima album on hyperdub though it more or less just sounded like an interesting extension of old grime (or sinogrime), dressed up in unnecessary art school theory.

Numbers

I didn't hear the Hyperdub album yet. Is it out already?

I only heard her EP's. Desert Strike is really good. Sure, you can consider it dressed nice grime (good production, etc.) , but at the same time there is more to it. Dunno, it just works for me.

Leo

factmix307-ayshay-12.9.2011.jpg

ayshay mix from a few years ago.
http://www.factmag.com/2011/12/05/fact-mix-307-ayshay/

the "warn-u" ep under that name is different from her FA-Q stuff, mostly just her voice manipulated in an "arabic atmospherica" stylee (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/aug/02/new-band-ayshay)

Last edited:

Trillhouse

I definitely think Fatima has a little more going on than most of the others in this thread's loose collective. But then i really liked Desert Strike. Not sure about her music as art projects tbh, they are interesting though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sfUsRikQsS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Leo

I definitely think Fatima has a little more going on than most of the others in this thread's loose collective. But then i really liked Desert Strike. Not sure about her music as art projects tbh, they are interesting though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sfUsRikQsS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

maybe she's covering her face because she's not actually singing live and it's all on tape. ;)

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Is this the thread to talk about kawaii-influenced stuff? Not something I know much about admittedly, but I've seen references to kawaii and Japan cropping up for a little while and now I discover that possibly "2014 is going to be a year of cuteness in the online underground" - http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/columns/pattern-recognition/vol-10-pon-cuter-love/

I wonder how much of this is rooted in 90s nostalgia? Obviously kawaii is an enduring thing and its presence is still very much felt, but a lot of the references seem to be rooted in that decade (just look at the profile picture here), and it was probably then that Japan exerted a greater influence on Western pop culture. The people making this stuff are, I'm guessing, the right age to have grown up with that.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Is this the thread to talk about kawaii-influenced stuff? Not something I know much about admittedly, but I've seen references to kawaii and Japan cropping up for a little while and now I discover that possibly "2014 is going to be a year of cuteness in the online underground" - http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/features/columns/pattern-recognition/vol-10-pon-cuter-love/

I wonder how much of this is rooted in 90s nostalgia? Obviously kawaii is an enduring thing and its presence is still very much felt, but a lot of the references seem to be rooted in that decade (just look at the profile picture here), and it was probably then that Japan exerted a greater influence on Western pop culture. The people making this stuff are, I'm guessing, the right age to have grown up with that.

Unfortunate that that article doesn't seem to have gone beyond the image of Kyary into the indefatigable denseness of her music - which is the point. Her image belies a musical brilliance and complexity, which isn't the same as hardcore infantilism.