sadmanbarty

recently I'd been doubting that young thug was ever as good as we all thought he was, but i took a break from him and it's all lovely again

sadmanbarty

this thread's all about self-indulgence, so here's my rap-with-good-drums post:

Mostly standard fare, but with great fills where the drums trip over themselves

Sonny Digital has a few things with interesting drums

Reynolds would caption this ‘nyabingi bizznizz’, we don’t mind cos we love him

Accents on quarter notes

these are to uk drill what tina moore/gabriels wings were to uk garage. the brits are more rhythmically sophisticated than the yanks because we all grew up on dancehall. american’s don’t know an innovation when they see one

septuplets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhRKVIjJtw

luka

rap blogging is the worst blogging. why is it so earnest? that was what was good about asap yams.

luka

these are to uk drill what tina moore/gabriels wings were to uk garage. the brits are more rhythmically sophisticated than the yanks because we all grew up on dancehall.

the famous zhao had an oft repeated riff abut american music being rhythmically bereft cos slaves were banned from using drums there.

luka

indian music is always in the air here too and even if you dont consciously listen to it you absorb those rhythmic matrices through your pores.

luka

rap blogging is the worst blogging. why is it so earnest? that was what was good about asap yams.

i can understand the impulse behind it and the desire to act as a corrective to prevailing attitudes/treating every tossed off made for download release as if it were deep and meaningful and worthy of serious academic study and earnest appraisal. neglecting the obvious fact that huge amounts of hiphop is utterly dumb, sometimes gloriously, sometimes abjectly.

entertainment

There's a particularly amusing disciplin within that sort of writing of projecting more or less improvised insecurities onto the artist if the subject matter gets inexcusably immoral, typically about the supposed fragile masculinity of young black men or some shit. Sometimes, maybe it is just about fucking women, driving nice cars and having fun.

craner

Beast of Burden

My nose is big, I'm not ashamed, big like a pickle, I'm still getting paid

Last edited: