world music was an abomination

muser

I'm not really sure what you're all talking about anyway. I'm assuming it's literally the genrefication and marketing of 'world music' as a thing as opposed to the music itself.

Leo

the main reason sublime frequencies became a thing is because it was the anti-"world music": weird, raw, poorly produced music (sometimes pilfered) from ethnic groups neglected by major labels/PBS/Starbuck's.

muser

the main reason sublime frequencies became a thing is because it was the anti-"world music": weird, raw, poorly produced music (sometimes pilfered) from ethnic groups neglected by major labels/PBS/Starbuck's.

They're basically no different though

muser

The irony is that Sublime frequencies' success was from building on the very reason people were drawn to "world music" in the first place. I think theyve done a great job but as you alluded plenty of ethical issues over their sourcing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I got this record today, is it world music? I like it a lot either way - would love tips for this kinda sound

boxedjoy

I remember a few years ago accidentally catching the start of a music awards show for Disney or MTV or something, and the idea was it was a celebration of world music, and so they brought out world music icons like... Shakira and Mariah Carey