Stella - evil in a can?

john eden

male pale and stale
Stella_Artois_Premium_Lager_Beer_500CAN.jpg

When we moved into our current flat about 7 years ago we often played host to Mr Artois in his glorious "Six for Five" incarnation.

But as time passed I just found it headache-inducing and began to pick up hints of a deeply sinister metallic flavour in it. So I knocked it on the head and got into Red Stripe and Kronenbourg.

Last night someone bought me a pint of Stella and the whole sorry state of affairs returned.

It's also a bit weird how people seem to be able to blame violent behaviour on it? (Which also begs the question, why drink it?)

Is it just me? Or am I simply a lightweight?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i drink heineken at home.

redstripe isn't vegetarian afaik. :-(

any booze consumed 4 pack style in its entirity gives me a hangover, stella or not. but i'm defo a lightweight.

even belgians don't drink stella- they drink jupiler etc. stella factory in leuven is like a city.

and drinking lager in a pub? boo!

STN

sou'wester
Sorry, John, I thought you only drank vegan ale, especially brewed by members of Rubella Ballet.

I think Stella, Becks and Heineken are the best of the frequently-occurring cornershop lagers. Kronenbourg is simply horrible.

STN

sou'wester
i drink heineken at home.

redstripe isn't vegetarian afaik. :-(

any booze consumed 4 pack style in its entirity gives me a hangover, stella or not. but i'm defo a lightweight.

even belgians don't drink stella- they drink jupiler etc. stella factory in leuven is like a city.

For vegetarian, you want German beers, generally speaking.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The particular strain of Saccharomyces carlsbergensis used in brewing Stella makes unique yeast alkaloids that are metabolised into PCP in the gut, hence the propensity towards aggressive behaviour. 100% FACT.

bassnation

the abyss
But as time passed I just found it headache-inducing and began to pick up hints of a deeply sinister metallic flavour in it. So I knocked it on the head and got into Red Stripe and Kronenbourg.

see, this is strange because i am the same with kronenburg - it gives me the worst hangovers imaginable, that and red wine - so bad i can't drink either of them. someone said to me that i might have better luck with certain types of red wine as i might be mildly allergic to something in the ones i am drinking (rioja, pinot grigio etc). as far as kronenburg goes, i have no idea. stella i'm ok with, but i drink fairly often (too bloody often, really) and because of the calories in lager i tend to avoid all of them and drink dark rum n coke. now thats the true reggae choice, suprised you ain't on it, sunshine!

tom pr

But as time passed I just found it headache-inducing and began to pick up hints of a deeply sinister metallic flavour in it.

It's weird - I never noticed the metallic taste until an old flatmate pointed it out mid-pint, and since then i've never been able to drink it without being very aware of it. I dont think I even enjoyed the stuff in the first place so it's for the best.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Is this something that happens when half decent Euro lagers start getting brewed locally in the UK? It's the water I think - Kronenbourg used to be alright but then it went the way of Stella. San Miguel is just revolting now but I'm sure it used to be OK. Peroni still rules, worth the bit extra.

martin

----
The particular strain of Saccharomyces carlsbergensis used in brewing Stella makes unique yeast alkaloids that are metabolised into PCP in the gut, hence the propensity towards aggressive behaviour. 100% FACT.

So it's Angel Dust in a can? It makes me feel waterlogged after 5 or 6 pints, I can feel it squelching around in my gut, though I can drink the cans and bottles and feel relatively OK. Plus it goes right through you in cold weather, so I've gone back to Guinness for now.

hucks

Your Message Here
Big up my budvar massive. Or should i say my co-op Czech lager massive.

Shouts also to the Somerfield Czech lager massive. Ostravar at 89p per 500ml bottle has been my tipple of choice this winter. Tho I note it has recently gone up to £1.09....

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Shouts also to the Somerfield Czech lager massive. Ostravar at 89p per 500ml bottle has been my tipple of choice this winter. Tho I note it has recently gone up to £1.09....

Yeah, same here. Still not bad, I suppose. Our local Somerfield is a crappy little garage shop which has recently halved its selection of red wines in order to stock a few crappy chart CDs and DVDs. The amount of shelf space taken up by vino tinto is now somewhat less than half that taken up by bottled water. :slanted:

So it's Angel Dust in a can?

Have to confess, I made that up. Although, for all I know, it might be true. But lager yeast really *is* called S. carlsbergensis, fact fans.

Chuu

Well La Di Bloody Da
I'd like to big up Dragon Stout in the strongest possible way. That stuff's great.

So much truth there.

If you're drinking lager from a can though Żywiec ain't half bad.

On another note is it Stella or Grolsch that smells like Ganja when you open it?

Kuma

The Konspirator

It would make sense then as to why it seems to be the beverage of choice for so many of the North American junglist massive, I've known.

luka

yuri gellers

grolsch and also becks. hops and cannabis related.

all lager out of a can tastes metallic funnily enough. kronenburg no less than stella. which is, after all, reassuringly expensive, well its not anymore, but that was the ad campaign.