Hmg sometimes mentions a film I haven't seen but it's essentially a dramatisation, staged as a series of conversations between two old friends over dinner etc, of these two fundamental orientations towards life. I'm a very devout mystic Craner is a kind of Epicurean. But we love a lot of the same r&b.

My Dinner with André - re-released the same week as The Matrix and the more convincing film on the very same topic.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Craner, this is a legendary list, universally acclaimed. It was legendary before you even finished, so good that you shut the whole club down halfway through the set because people were just too hyped.

Accept and internalise the love!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Mariah Carey, 'We Belong Together'

The greatest song of the Noughties, no contest.

Beautiful tune, very elegant, the Apotheosis of Mariah. That vocal breakdown is unrivalled:

"Bobby Womack's on the radio, singing to me 'if you think you're lonely now'...wait a minute...this is too deep...I gotta change the station, so I turn the dial trying to catch a break...and then I hear Babyface..."

Genius.

It has magical properties too. I'm sure I had one night where I remember literally nothing other than this song got played. Three and a half minutes of glorious lucidity in a blackout.

Possibly my favourite verse of all time, that. One time when this was played as the last song at some club we went for my best friend's birthday, as people were leaving up the staircase he started singing loudly at 'Bobby Womack' - by the time he started the next line the song had travelled all the way up the staircase in an acapella dawn chorus

Woebot

this is a real treasure trove! really looking forward to going through it. thanks so much oliver! ❌

luka

We, or at least speaking for myself here, I, love and respect and admire you and really want an opportunity to read your writing and engage with your ideas and opinions on a regular basis. I'm sorry both my flaws and the ambiguous, somewhat violent (its a terrible bloodsport) nature of male friendship obscures this basic atomic fact sometimes.

There are all sorts of things I disagree with you very strongly about and it's impossible to bracket those entirely, but the differences are overriden by a deep, heartfelt passion for songs like never too much and we belong together.

It's a much better forum/world with you in it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Craner's writing on this thread confirms me in a suspicion I've long held that part of 'the problem' with music writing these days is how impersonal it is.* (I'm including my own writing, long ago as that was, here.) People who have been schooled academically to write reasonably and 'cleveerly', rather than passionately. (Not to say humourlessly.) Not to say that every music review should be an autibiographical anecdote, but that the pretense music critics are required to sustain of listening to music in an isolation chamber, analysing it like the dissected carcass of a possibly interesting, possibly beautiful, soon-to-be-archived animal.

EDIT: *and impartial

Last edited:

luka

They're playing we belong together LOUD in bleeker burger right now. Sounds soul shattering. The phrasing is so tricksy but sounds effortless.

Edit: they've followed it up with ashantis foolish... might stay in here all day

Last edited:

luka

They're playing the Sylvia Striplin in the pub now. Why am I the only one who hears this list in the wild?

luka

I'm doing rough calculation as to how long it lasted based on average song time x 100

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i didn't start from the first song. it was somewhere in the middle. it's just such an erotic list, also makes perfect sense that it got uploaded by dr. cock on youtube. not to forget #mingegate.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Ciara - Oh (MTV Version) ft. Ludacris
Cassie - Me & U (Official Music Video)
Aurra - You & Me Tonight (Midnight Mix)
Mariah Carey - We Belong Together (Official Music Video)
Uk Garage - Mariah Carey - Through The Rain (DEA. Project)

this is such a brilliant sequence. in terms of content, style, and even track titles and artist names

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Not to cast aspersions whatsoever but I've had that ABBA song in my head for about an hour and I never want to hear it again now. Earworm.

For balance - I love this Bryan Ferry choon. Scratch that - I LOVE this Bryan Ferry choon.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Shared the Ferry with my friends and one of them said

'Who's craner? Did u get him to do a top 100? he's got brilliant taste'