can I get ill from eating too much bacon?

S

simon silverdollar

how on earth did you get into the habit of eating 8 rashers of bacon a day?! is that in one sitting, or do you have 2 or 3 meals of bacon per day?

F

foret

my mother always used to cook about 10 slices of pancetta (not sure how that compares to northern european salted dead pig) before school when i were a littl'un and it never did me any harm, i was consistenly underweight too

the worst thing about it might be the tapeworm eggs which can hatch in your eyes and make you go blind, or give you tapeworms, obviously, so be hygenic y'all

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
simon silverdollar said:
how on earth did you get into the habit of eating 8 rashers of bacon a day?! is that in one sitting, or do you have 2 or 3 meals of bacon per day?

For some reason I just barely know any recipes that don't involve bacon. For lunch I might have a brie and bacon sandwhich or a bacon and cream cheese bagel, then for supper I might have spaghetti carbonara or pasta with a tomato, mascarpone and bacon sauce. Obviously I could substitute other things for bacon in those recipes if necessary, I'm just trying to find out if I have to.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Maybe it's too obvious to come right out and say it, but bacon is really high in saturated fats (bad for cholestrol) and dearest salt.

I tend to think eating meat at every meal would be bad for you, but bacon is especially fatty.

Still, based on your (tasty sounding) recipes above all the dairy might get you first... :(

zhao

there are no accidents
in the short term the carcenogens created by your stomach's inability to deal with all that cooked animal protean will give you lower energy levels, decreased ability to focus and concentrate, and probably a few unwanted pounds added to your physique.

in the long term you are looking at high blood pressure, clogged veins, heart problems, or, even if pork tends to stay and rot in your lower intestines slightly less than beef (years and years), there is always the increasingly, wildly, popular choice: prostate/colon cancer.

sorry to break it to ya. ain't nothin' you put in your body you don't pay for down the road. and the price just may be cancer of the butt.

tryptych

waiting for a time
confucius said:
even if pork tends to stay and rot in your lower intestines slightly less than beef (years and years),

I'm pretty sure this is a myth propounded by various groups. Every biologist I've ever talked to rubbishs it - the bacteria in your gut are damn good at breaking stuff down.

Hvaing said that, there are definate links between eating a lot of red meat and bowel cancer later in life. Plus, pigs are one of the most mistreated farmed animals, after chickens - kept in very cramped conditions and stuffed full of antibiotics. Danish bacon is especially bad, apparently - their laws are more lax than, say the UKs.

A quick look at the food charts shows that eating 200g of bacon would give you over the maximum daily recommended intake of sodium.

Last edited:

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
michael said:
Still, based on your (tasty sounding) recipes above all the dairy might get you first... :(

Not convinced by this, if you look at the PETA web page on the risks of dairy, the best they can come up with is:

1. doesn't protect against osteoperosis: wasn't assuming it did
2. cardiovascular disease: don't want this but I have a healthy lifestyle otherwise
3. cancer: not going to get ovarian or breast cancer
4. diabetes: don't have it
5. lactose intolerance: don't have it
6. not a good source of Vitamin D: again, wasn't assuming it was
7. contaminants: you can get organic
8. health concern in infants and children: not a problem

fldsfslmn

excremental futurism
foret said:
my mother always used to cook about 10 slices of pancetta (not sure how that compares to northern european salted dead pig) before school when i were a littl'un and it never did me any harm, i was consistenly underweight too

the worst thing about it might be the tapeworm eggs which can hatch in your eyes and make you go blind, or give you tapeworms, obviously, so be hygenic y'all

British bacon is leaner and less salty than pancetta. Canadian bacon (and I'd imagine American as well) is worse than either pancetta or British bacon, resembling nothing more than lard pressed into strips. When I've had British bacon I've found it too "realistic" and longed for that noxious artificial Canadian Maple flavour that clings to your hands even after you've scrubbed them with soap . . .

I know British people like to complain about the state of their food, but really, your foodstuffs are often quite luxurious from a Canadian perspective.

Eat up!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Ned said:
Not convinced by this, if you look at the PETA web page on the risks of dairy, the best they can come up with is:
Yeah, sorry, was half-joking... I was just thinking of piling on the fat, really, with all that cheese and cream.