The TIME Barrier.

sadmanbarty

After all, I was a mere stripling when, say, 'The Chronic' came out, and that doesn't sound naive at all (it sounds at times disgustingly cynical, in fact), not to mention that sonically it still stands toe-to-toe with a lot of contemporary albums.

funny you should pick the chronic as this all started because i said to luka that anything pre-chronic/36 chambers sounds too antiquated for me. when i said 'even rakim' he looked hurt in the same way you do when a girl calls another guy handsome and you have to pretend you're fine with it.

luka

not inaccurate. kane i get. that jive talking sounds antiquated but rakim... and i didnt even grow up with rakim. i discovered that retrospectively when it was already old.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
A sort of 'how could they possibly have rapped like this

idk man

for one I think viewing especially viewing disco rap thru the lens of later rap/rap as a whole is incorrect or at least incomplete it's at least as much if not more in the context post-disco/pre-house, uptown/downtown New York. the simplicity of the rapping makes much better sense in that context. like Debbie Harry in Rapture isn't a million miles away from contemporary rap proper. this is more true the further back you go and ya Run-DMC/Def Jam is kinda year zero for rap as its own thing (even if the Simmons brothers got their start in the disco rap era).

and there is a certain naivete, lack of self-awareness that persists even into the late 80s, maybe the early 90s. The Chronic is a good transitional moment to pick b/c even tho it was innovative/new it's also referring back to N.W.A. etc in a way that rap mostly hadn't done up to that point. You get the same thing in 80s hardcore (the punk kind), when the youth crew bands in 88 are consciously referring back to Minor Threat in a way no one had previously done in hardcore.

as far as boom bap, both the original drum machine and the later early sampling varieties, I think the stripped down nature is a huge strength.

luka

idk man

for one I think viewing especially viewing disco rap thru the lens of later rap/rap as a whole is incorrect or at least incomplete it's at least as much if not more in the context post-disco/pre-house, uptown/downtown New York. the simplicity of the rapping makes much better sense in that context. like Debbie Harry in Rapture isn't a million miles away from contemporary rap proper. this is more true the further back you go and ya Run-DMC/Def Jam is kinda year zero for rap as its own thing (even if the Simmons brothers got their start in the disco rap era).

and there is a certain naivete, lack of self-awareness that persists even into the late 80s, maybe the early 90s. The Chronic is a good transitional moment to pick b/c even tho it was innovative/new it's also referring back to N.W.A. etc in a way that rap mostly hadn't done up to that point. You get the same thing in 80s hardcore (the punk kind), when the youth crew bands in 88 are consciously referring back to Minor Threat in a way no one had previously done in hardcore.

as far as boom bap, both the original drum machine and the later early sampling varieties, I think the stripped down nature is a huge strength.

amazing record.

Want: 453
Avg Rating: 4.69 / 5
Ratings: 35

Last Sold: 05 Aug 12
Lowest: £1,587.23
Median: £1,587.23
Highest: £1,587.23

padraig (u.s.)

Eddie Cochran "Summertime Blues"

the Blue Cheer record I posted upthread famously covers Summertime Blues + it's one of those things people always cite as "the first heavy metal" or whatever (idk about that, but I'd definitely call that, Sabbath S/T + ya I guess Zep I as the ur-texts) so ya definitely one of the 50s rock songs that can cross the time barrier

there's a whole trend of 70s heavy rock dudes referring back to 50s rock and ruining otherwise perfectly good 70s heavy rock jams. the Australian + Japanese scenes in particular.

padraig (u.s.)

as far as disco rap era, The Treacherous Three + specifically Kool Moe Dee were definitely the most fwd in terms of rapping/lyrical complexity

luka

its sort of remarkable for being slow though isnt it. the break is hobbled. it's where the magic comes from. the mc is just a generic DITC type.

padraig (u.s.)

btw Barty since you're into drums the drummer on that is Pumpkin, kinda the single iconic drummer of the disco rapper

padraig (u.s.)

its sort of remarkable for being slow though isnt it. the break is hobbled. it's where the magic comes from. the mc is just a generic DITC type.

well ya but generic DITC was revolutionary for 1980. it was so ahead of its time no one really caught up with until ya LL Cool J etc in 84.

and yes v much the break. that was my point about Pumpkin, that dude's drumming really made disco rap and was I think hugely influential on later rap rhythmic patterns.

luka

beat bop is a much more famous and name checked record but simple man as i am i think we're at the party is a lot better and a lot more fun.

luka

i havent made any gnomic abstract statements no one understands for a while though. must dream something up.

luka

well ya but generic DITC was revolutionary for 1980. it was so ahead of its time no one really caught up with until ya LL Cool J etc in 84.

and yes v much the break. that was my point about Pumpkin, that dude's drumming really made disco rap and was I think hugely influential on later rap rhythmic patterns.

internet says its '89. would be remarkable for '80. less so for '89.