luka

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 4h4 hours ago

@curlyentity in your opinion will #DEPOPULATIONLOTTERY be administered fairly and randomly or will some mysteriously'' slip the net?
Expand
Favorite

ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 18m18 minutes ago

@Ray_Cappuccino define depopulation lottery? So that I can better answer your question :)
11:57 AM - 15 Oct 2014 · Details
Hide conversation
Retweet
Favorite
Tweet text
Reply to @curlyentity

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 12m12 minutes ago

@curlyentity there will be a lottery. everyone recieves a ticket. some tickets say DEATH others, STERILISATION.
Expand
Favorite
Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 11m11 minutes ago

ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 3m3 minutes ago

@Ray_Cappuccino I believe that there will be depopulation schemes implemented, but surely not that??? Has there been talks of it coming?
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 6m6 minutes ago

@curlyentity there has been whispers of it for some time yes. after all, ïts the fairest way"

@curlyentity the claim is that it is all random and bill gates is as likely to get DEATH as you and I. beleive that?
Expand
Favorite
ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 3m3 minutes ago

@curlyentity everything will be administered in as 'humane'a way as possible, you can be assured of that

ॐWARRIOR OF LlGHTॐ ‏@curlyentity 4m4 minutes ago

@Ray_Cappuccino but since when have the elites considered fairness or ethics? They will just do it, nuclear blast/apocalyptic weather

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 1m1 minute ago

@curlyentity its called keeping up appearances
Expand

Favorite

Rainbow Serpent ‏@Ray_Cappuccino 25s26 seconds ago

@curlyentity the lottery is rigged. trouble makers will be sterilised or executed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just got followed by a man who describes himself as:

"Social Entrepreneur, Futurist, Creator of Wealth Dynamics, Talent Dynamics, Founder of Entrepreneurs (sic.) Institute"

He sounds like a TEDx talk made flesh. Trying really hard to see what he sees in me. My last tweet was a photo of a local news article about someone pooing through letter boxes.

Edit: fun fact - there are four threads here titled simply 'twitter'. Except one has a '?' after it.

luka

loads of people like that fishing for followers with speculative follows. they're trying to justify conference fees with follower counts i guess. get to 100,000 and youre a 'social networking guru' tawdry low level scam but it appeals to spivs.

droid

Yeah, I regularly get a follow from some motivational gimp with tens of thousands of followers only to have him disappear a few days or weeks later.

droid

Online self promotion is a pox. A disease of the mind and spirit. These people are lepers trying to escape their colonies.

Why cant people just use twitter like its intended; existential wallowing in the pit of despair, snarkiness and mindless trivia?

droid

One of the reasons I haven't published any writing or mixes for the last few years - the idea of promoting it physically sickens me. Such a tawdry, repulsive ritual.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
loads of people like that fishing for followers with speculative follows. they're trying to justify conference fees with follower counts i guess. get to 100,000 and youre a 'social networking guru' tawdry low level scam but it appeals to spivs.

Imma spam him with poo-related news stories until he blocks me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Imma spam him with poo-related news stories until he blocks me.

Actually I think some proper trolling might be much more rewarding. What should I ask this guy? Whether he can upcycle my headspace efficiency, something like that? Oh Mister Guru, what's more important in cradle-to-grave project management: being dynamic, or being holistic?

john eden

male pale and stale
The best thing is just to ignore who is following you completely and bang stuff out there. (Except if someone you know or like follows you, obvs)

All this "oh that post about xyz just lost me 6 followers" stuff is just as desperate as shady entrepreneurs begging for attention.

The main thing about promotion is just not to do very much that needs promoting. That way everything will be in balance.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just got followed by a man who describes himself as:

"Social Entrepreneur, Futurist, Creator of Wealth Dynamics, Talent Dynamics, Founder of Entrepreneurs (sic.) Institute"

Ahahaha, check out this dickhead:

Many people think that there are hundreds of routes to wealth. With Wealth Dynamics, you'll see that there are actually only eight paths to wealth and that one of those paths is the correct one for you.

The EIGHTFOLD PATH to TRANSCENDENTAL MEGABUCKS!!! This is 24-ct assholistic nonsense. Trolling has commenced. Watch this space.

you

I quit twitter.

The content posted on Wednesday really upset me.

I outlined it on the vomitorium blog.

**sigh**

Dunno if people agree or not.

sufi

lala
I quit twitter.

The content posted on Wednesday really upset me.

I outlined it on the vomitorium blog.

**sigh**

Dunno if people agree or not.
Thanks you for the interesting post on the blog, i certainly relate.

My Social use has got quite heavy over the past year or so, and although the gratification cycle certainly feels like familiarly compulsive behaviour from experiences of less novel stimulants, I don't feel like i'm "addicted". Your post crystallised a couple of disparate ponderings for me - like how the trump soap drama connects with 21stC communications and has brought into focus some questions about whether my own online behaviour is a substitute or an enhancement to real life. As well as my similar experience to yours of toxic overload.

Not only your point about enjoyment of the regular endorphin (?) hit of checking socmed, with it's diminishing returns, anticipation not really lived up to, the reply to your tweet not as insightful as you hoped, your trolling not as luminously incandescant... Or perhaps just no worthwhile updates to current affairs, or worse still, updates aimed specifically at drive-by browser like yourself - a bunch of ads displayed without a worthwhile content payload,

But also about reaching that tipping point - mine was a definite public event - the US election. I'd followed Brexit on twitter with the telly off and the 2015 UK elections offline and away from TV. When the Trump result came in, I found that I just no longer wanted to do twitter - perhaps I felt betrayed by how the result was unpredicted (again) within my bubble, and how ineffectually my bubble had reacted to the similarly unexpected Brexit result. (FB holds no huge appeal - i can't seem to take it seriously for current affairs, whereas my twitter stream is a reliable source of flaming opinions, hot hyperlinks, future news, novelty, endorphins...) My overriding surprise at the Brexit vote was more about the impermeableness of my bubble, than about the result itself, how few of my contacts were brexiters and yet they won their majority.

However, since then I went back on it again. Precisely since Trump's inauguration. so that was a couple of months off, and i'm thoroughly enjoying the return.

You, I would like to know more about what specifically about the events of Wednesday turned you off. I'm interested by the split that seems to be emerging between advocates (like Simon Jenkins) of minimising what someone on twitter called "small bore" attacks like this - reporting them as crimes, not terrorism. On the other side it seems like the whole mainstream media and political establishment on every side step into set-piece positioning and narratives as soon as an attack like Wednesday's occurs (thus basically furthering the terrorist agenda). What's odd is that the "denying the oxygen of publicity" approach was used by Thatcher on the IRA, a different shaped terrorist threat with seemingly less distance between political aims and violent activities, compared to the ostensible nihilism of current islamist terror.

What else is currently making my brain itch is how compelling the Trump show is, especially on social media. I feel a real visceral voyeuristic rush when i read Kendzior or Mensch, unmediated access to their split second updates (at least during US waking hours). I'm intrigued about how Trumpalia taps into this, something to do with driving forward the narrative at the expense of reality.

I don't feel the need to kick it though, in fact i feel hyper-conscious of the crackling pulsating energy bolt of cyber in all it's conflicts and contradictions, really surfing the crest of the web's enormous info-breakers. & I feel much more aware about my online privacy, which platforms and sources respect me (my data and online profile, no more "stay logged in") and how my relations with these platforms are bilateral and co-dependent. Thinking about the hardware seems to help too, G*gle, FB & Apple's ginormous coal-guzzling server farms in Virginia exist.
And I seem to be more productive and engaged and also less gnomic online too - perhaps due to a better understanding of the connection btwn on and offline, a bit of a reset of my own role.

apple.jpgfacebook.jpggoogle.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not endorphins - dopamine. Endorphins are associated with the satisfaction of desires and appetites, whether for food, sex, shelter or whatever. Dopamine is what mediates the desire in the first place, and triggers the reward centre when the desired thing is achieved - but it is immediately reset, which is why you can never have enough of it.

you

You, I would like to know more about what specifically about the events of Wednesday turned you off. I'm interested by the split that seems to be emerging between advocates (like Simon Jenkins) of minimising what someone on twitter called "small bore" attacks like this - reporting them as crimes, not terrorism. On the other side it seems like the whole mainstream media and political establishment on every side step into set-piece positioning and narratives as soon as an attack like Wednesday's occurs (thus basically furthering the terrorist agenda). What's odd is that the "denying the oxygen of publicity" approach was used by Thatcher on the IRA, a different shaped terrorist threat with seemingly less distance between political aims and violent activities, compared to the ostensible nihilism of current islamist terror.

I thought my gripe about the online responses to the Westminster attacks was clear.

But I'll underscore my point by asking a question.

What is the difference between a Hopkinsian hate-bait-for-clicks hot-take and the corresponding gnomic moralism of the lefty counterpart?

Does either one serve much purpose other than promoting the user? No.

As you can imagine - my feed was predominantly left-liberal journos and academics.

I saw people hashtagging #Westminster with sunny photos of London, tweeting that London is the greatest city in the world and 'won't be beaten'. I saw established writers who appear on BBC posting much more than normal, threads and threads of glib solidarity and take downs of rightwing media with their Patreon linked in their profile... And I felt that the only people this served was them. It was a one big self-promoting circle-jerk - under the guise of outrage or noble moralism.

Of course, I agreed with the sentiments of most of my feed - of course I do... I did before they tweeted. Because of, as you rightly highlight, the bubble syndrome. So I felt the only good to come of it was for those social-entrepreneurs. Even the vague and pithy excuse of much of the left - 'consciousness' or 'awareness' is not valid here - because what awareness is there to spread/raise in people who already agreed and would feel the same anyway. Dialogue is not a decent retort either- precisely because of the nature of these platforms. We can't have a nuanced dialogue on a forum - let alone in 140 character dumps off a smartphone.

I also see wannabe climbers replying in the heat of such hot-topics to other more established media jackals of the noise-pack - shite like #Solidarity to accounts of racism or sexism. Isn't this the parrotting echo-chamber of a vacuous 21st C 'right-on' cacophony?

It just really depressed me and angered me - and rather than feed the rabble and become complicit I retreated. I dislike retreat or such Ostrichy responses to social problems but this once, coupled with my anxiety over compulsive behaviours being exploited, I pulled the plug.

sufi

lala
I thought my gripe about the online responses to the Westminster attacks was clear.

But I'll underscore my point by asking a question.

What is the difference between a Hopkinsian hate-bait-for-clicks hot-take and the corresponding gnomic moralism of the lefty counterpart?
there may be a core of ideological difference beneath the layers of drama, but

Does either one serve much purpose other than promoting the user? No.
agreed, self-promotion is the main purpose of these media though, in moments like the Westminster attack even if most people forbear commenting and reserve judgement, tastefully, that doesn't matter because there are always going to be people who can't resist/feel their voice should be heard. I mean i think i saw a hot take on weds afternoon from James Corden. But this self promotion is part of how celebrity - the storification of public figures - dominates the media and trumps actual relevance, even the loftiest of media, even academia (!trumps!).
So if you want to sip of the cup of twitter (or dissensus) there is a certain amount of this acting up to be put up with.
But actually it's worse than that, because aside from the dumb online self-promotion of bigmouths there are actual irl interests behind the cacophony. Those fixed repertoires have been prepared to such an extent that this vacuous commentariat must yearn for "atrocities", which they desperately need to create the opportunity to further their own agendas, even justify their existence - the security establishment, the terrorists, the channels, the commentators.
Either you engage with that, hopefully at some conscious level, or i suppose you give it a rest. Giving it a bit of a rest was helpful for me, so i'm with you on that.

As you can imagine - my feed was predominantly left-liberal journos and academics.

I saw people hashtagging #Westminster with sunny photos of London, tweeting that London is the greatest city in the world and 'won't be beaten'. I saw established writers who appear on BBC posting much more than normal, threads and threads of glib solidarity and take downs of rightwing media with their Patreon linked in their profile... And I felt that the only people this served was them. It was a one big self-promoting circle-jerk - under the guise of outrage or noble moralism.

Of course, I agreed with the sentiments of most of my feed - of course I do... I did before they tweeted. Because of, as you rightly highlight, the bubble syndrome. So I felt the only good to come of it was for those social-entrepreneurs. Even the vague and pithy excuse of much of the left - 'consciousness' or 'awareness' is not valid here - because what awareness is there to spread/raise in people who already agreed and would feel the same anyway. Dialogue is not a decent retort either- precisely because of the nature of these platforms. We can't have a nuanced dialogue on a forum - let alone in 140 character dumps off a smartphone.

I also see wannabe climbers replying in the heat of such hot-topics to other more established media jackals of the noise-pack - shite like #Solidarity to accounts of racism or sexism. Isn't this the parrotting echo-chamber of a vacuous 21st C 'right-on' cacophony?

It just really depressed me and angered me - and rather than feed the rabble and become complicit I retreated. I dislike retreat or such Ostrichy responses to social problems but this once, coupled with my anxiety over compulsive behaviours being exploited, I pulled the plug.
I really couldn't agree more, i found myself consciously distancing myself from the news cycle on wednesday evening.

you

Yup... we're on pretty much the same page. As is to be expected online. 'Dissensus'... ;-)

I do appreciate the interaction though. And you've mentioned some facets of the issue I hadn't really considered - cheers.

There are other personal reasons for my withdrawal - but Wednesday was the proverbial straw.