Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Spent the last hour or so on having a look at stuff around this thread.
DJ Roc's work seems to be quite self-referencing, and load of tunes (obviously) in the genre has "work" or "juke" in the titles.
And some if it is quite grimy as noted, ie the "Jukezone Blackout Mixtape" like "Drop W.O.R.K"/DJ Majic Myke -

Splashed out on a few tunes in the Apple store, this stuff is fresh - ie "What U Work'in Wit"/DJ Thadz with this kid "Lil Jukeman".

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

i like the music and that but the whole US battle dance thing has always seemed a weird fit against the backdrop of a party...

though the dancing in itself is great also.

mms

sometimes
i like the music and that but the whole US battle dance thing has always seemed a weird fit against the backdrop of a party...

though the dancing in itself is great also.

it's not a US thing though is it really, battle/dancing comes from loads of different strands, a way for people to face off and show off physical prowess without violence, and also in martial arts, esp those that were battle disguised as dance, like capoeria etc, where basically training martially to overturn the slave master was disguised as weird native dancing.

drilla

don't get boxed out

this might be frowned upon here, let me know;
i'd like to support these producers but in the meantime i feel like it's important to document this work for historical purposes so i have taken to recording the imeem streams with audacity, which in my morally ambiguous mind is no worse than taping off the radio... so far i've done most of what i can find by elmoe, nate, and a lot of dj roc, with more to come. i wish every artist who has any kind of online presence would put up a paypal link, especially if their work is not very available, as i'd happily donate to the cause.
anyway, pm me for the treasures or delete me if this is wrong :cool:

hint

party record with a siren
There are a few Jukezone / Clownhouse bits up on Amazon for download:
DJ Thadz, DJ Ro, DJ Solo

I'm not sure there's much need to "document" stuff that's already getting over 200,000 hits on Imeem though.

Im all about DJ Spinn right now. His 'Juke Trax Online' series is pretty ace.

Check, 'Box me in(Remix)', 'Dumb High', 'What you workin wit', 'Turn My Shit up'

this shit is illllllllllll! thank you dissensus once again.

petergunn

plywood violin
it's not a US thing though is it really, battle/dancing comes from loads of different strands, a way for people to face off and show off physical prowess without violence, and also in martial arts, esp those that were battle disguised as dance, like capoeria etc, where basically training martially to overturn the slave master was disguised as weird native dancing.

one of my fav DJ nights ever was DJing early 70's funk breaks to 4-5 old school puerto rican uprockers (the battle form of breakdancing that does not involve going to the ground)...

shit like

we the people- the soul searchers
get up, get into it, get involved- james brown
scorpio- dennis coffey
yellow sunshine- yellow sunshine

had them going nuts...

drilla

wow!

i don't know if you have ice cream trucks in london but wiley should have thought of this

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

Indeed, the dancing is awesome but the DJ Nate track followed by the one with the I just wanna be free (Denise Williams ? ) sample. I love the way it feels like there's two tempos to the sound. There's a party sound track but also a sad slow jam at the same time.

dominic

Beast of Burden
oh so weirdly reminiscent of belgium and shut up and dance ----> and yet this is presumably out of deepest south chicago?!???!?

ginsu

footwork

anyone find any juke footwork tutorials or basics? i found some steppin dvds that have some juke moves. also learning some styles from cali shines. i havent even been able to find places for footwork classes in chicago.

(fyi have you heard of chicago steppin? its like geto swing dancing with james brown style footwork - it has its own style of music. also see dade county florida jookin and memphis jukin that has its own pimp walk footwork. ther are other regional styles of funk dancing footwork like second line dancing from new orleans, rocking out (or rocking off, i keep forgetting ) from baltimore, and beat ya feet from DC. and have you peeked that new dance style from NYC that looks like top rocking mixed with the shake called gettin lite - lots of new dance styles coming out of that scene - almost daily.

the midwest has been rocking fast house/techno since the early 90s(?) early acid house had some 170 bpm styles and detroit too, maybe influenced by gabber - maybe the other way around - its hard to tell some times. these dance style have been around since before then. jits been around since the 80s - or 70s depending on who is telling the story. they all come from jazz dancing.

fyi: in the geto and in the streets of america you dont really get props for being big in europe. no one can tell if you have euro fans - they assume youre lying. they just want to be big in mainstream america like on tv or the radio. or get a billion hits on youtube.