bassline house

ZOMBY®

Wild Horses
Zomby, I'm still unsure as to the difference between the two genres Niche and Bassline, is this a tribal thing or is there a distinct difference between the two sonically? The both seem to have a predominant signature of 4x4 beats and emphasis on the bassline for melody.

Is this a Sublow Vs Eski type scenario or is it closer to House Vs Garage (where there is a distinct difference in tempo, shuffle, productional aesthetic?) Can you describe the difference? Cheers.

niche >
bassline house >
niche >
bassline house >

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
So Bassline House IS 100% speed garage.

And Niche is just tunes that all sound like Sticky could have made them in 2004. I getcha now!

:D

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Psssh, I don't dismiss it. I accept it for what it is. A thriving rave culture which offers nothing new musically. Same as the equally clumsily titled 'Funky House'.

straight

wings cru
seriously, when heard for more than about 3 tunes in a row kuduru is about as interesting as watching really linear badly produced paint dry. Its the same with the ed banger lot, i'm thinking the novelty eclecticism of the blog house contingent is to do with the general dullness of these globetrotting niche (no pun intended) genres.

ZOMBY®

Wild Horses
Kuduro is incredible ,you've obviously heard some shit.if you had only heard 'sweet like chocolate' and 'fill me in' you prob wouldnt be the biggest garage fan either, but then if i played you 'tales from the bassside' you'd perk up.....kuduro is the same as anything you know,but when its good its fucking incredible.
you dont like Ed Banger,fair play....but Feadz,Oizo,Sebastian etc are stunning producers, if they were on Big Dada without the So_Me artwork maybe it would go down better ?
the ed banger kuduro blog globetrotting mix up is a connection youve made , none of the artists make tunes for blogs,,or saw a blog and thought 'fuck me ill crack some beats out' .more the blogs just facilitate peoples interest...

Logan i got respect for you but i think your only dismissing yourself of fans you know ,most 'niche' producers and fans whatever bang grime and dubstep and dont really care theyr different sounds.

out.:D

straight

wings cru
i saw feadz with uffie about a month ago and it was rubbish, they played that lost in a k-hole/2 unlimited bootleg and as a result i parted company with french electro (well, apart from justice/daft punk). and i dont think my pasty irish self will ever see kuduru in its true setting, theres no pontins in angola so its unlikely to be a holiday destination in the near future. the only full set of it ive seen out is buraka som sistoma and it got very samey very quickly. then again the only dj ive really enjoyed recently was danny krivit so im probably not really the person to be chatting. i seem to have gotten off point slightly,

I'm really liking that tune on the video, anyone worked out who the producer is. I assume Kamakaze/KMZ are the MC's, would like to know who built it

Woebot

And Niche is just tunes that all sound like Sticky could have made them in 2004. I getcha now!

that's well funny, logan. did make me laugh out loud!

(confiding) well at least now you know if you stick to your guns in 2010 everyone will be calling Grime the new Grime.

BUT.

with genres where progress is so incremental there is going to be a point at which it's a different thing. you might be too close to the coal-face to notice feller. for instance people who hardly ever see my kids are always telling me how much they've grown...but me, i never see it.

Immryr

yeah im in much the same position as ed. i like the tunes, theyre fun, vibrant etc... but i dont think there is any need for the massive stir baseline causing. its just garage, innit.

arpeggiated basslines- definitely a sticky trademark- tho he didn't tend to use the bassline as the melody line in quite the same way- hasn't he done a couple of tunes on northern line records now anyway?

there's a kind of warmth to a sticky/ garage production that i don't hear in niche/bassline- it's a colder, harsher sound, less weed and champagne, more pills...;)

viktorvaughn

How was Mr V? Did he kill it?

Yeah he fuckin ripped it up!

I think the criticism of Bassline as being repeptative or whatever is off point.

I mean it's no more formuliac than all Wiley's Eski stuff is it? Or loads of the Pulse-X style 8Bar tunes.

It's simply-made banging dance music that unlike Grime or Dubstep makes people properly dance and I love it.

Woebot

popped into uptown records yesterday and i can see why logan might be on the defensive.

literally the whole wall downstairs is dedicated to bassline. grime is in that slot on the left handside where two-step used to be. quite a shocker actually.

:eek:

petergunn

plywood violin
popped into uptown records yesterday and i can see why logan might be on the defensive.

literally the whole wall downstairs is dedicated to bassline. grime is in that slot on the left handside where two-step used to be. quite a shocker actually.

:eek:

i had heard this...

a shock to see i am sure, but it makes sense... grime has become a mixtape genre in the last year... sucks for the dj's, but better for the artists, sad to say (cd's are much easier to make money on...)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
interesting last few pages. im enjoying all this clashing scenes stuff, hopefully it'll lead to some really great music

grime has become a mixtape genre in the last year... sucks for the dj's, but better for the artists, sad to say (cd's are much easier to make money on...)

really? how you figure? from what I can tell, no one actually buys mixtapes. the scene was at its biggest commercially when there were loads of new releases and when DJs were playing vinyl for people in clubs innit? in that respect vinyl is great for producers and MCs alike - it takes away the pressure of endlessly hyping yourself up from the producers and it gives new MCs stuff for the clubs. you're not relying on the same crews over and over again who have instrumentals and stuff. mixtape culture means you're pretty much solely responsible for your own promotion and there's not many that can do that well. BBK being the obvious exception?

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
interesting last few pages. im enjoying all this clashing scenes stuff, hopefully it'll lead to some really great music

really? how you figure? from what I can tell, no one actually buys mixtapes. the scene was at its biggest commercially when there were loads of new releases and when DJs were playing vinyl for people in clubs innit? in that respect vinyl is great for producers and MCs alike - it takes away the pressure of endlessly hyping yourself up from the producers and it gives new MCs stuff for the clubs. you're not relying on the same crews over and over again who have instrumentals and stuff. mixtape culture means you're pretty much solely responsible for your own promotion and there's not many that can do that well. BBK being the obvious exception?

i am talking 2007 paradigm... yes, the scene was at it's biggest when DJ's were playing vinyl for clubs,,, however, those days are gone. now, most grime dj's have serato, so that makes the download effect equal across the board. no matter what the format is these days, a large percentage of your audience is not going to pay... in sheer economics, it's hard to make money off a 500 press of vinyl... you need to sell over 1000 to make any sort of money... with CD's, if you sell 500, you have a nice chunk of change... they have a higher retail price then a 12" and they cost much less... the only advantage of a 12" for an artist is that the studio cost is less, but in the days of fruity loops and home studios. this is not much of a factor...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I think it's really important to give people a product they can get excited about though.. and sales go hand in hand with that. That's why dubstep sells - through dubplate culture, vinyl and the tunes themselves are massively romanticised, so records are in demand.

Who gets excited over a 20 track mixtape with 3 good tunes and crap artwork? Of course everyone's going to download when the majority of releases comprise sloppily compiled filler CDs.. who would be proud of a collection that's 80% filler?

People download in dubstep too but records sell because they've got the hype right..

petergunn

plywood violin
I think it's really important to give people a product they can get excited about though.. and sales go hand in hand with that. That's why dubstep sells - through dubplate culture, vinyl and the tunes themselves are massively romanticised, so records are in demand.

Who gets excited over a 20 track mixtape with 3 good tunes and crap artwork? Of course everyone's going to download when the majority of releases comprise sloppily compiled filler CDs.. who would be proud of a collection that's 80% filler?

People download in dubstep too but records sell because they've got the hype right..

well, that's true... that is why the AXIOM EP was so powerful... so short, but every track KILLED... hip hop should learn from this as well... shit, actually the record industry as a whole should learn from it...

it pains me to say this, but there is a more responsible "irie" listening audience in dubstep... you go on RWD forum and everyone is bragging about how they won't spend a dime on anything ever and you go on dubstepforum and people are talking about buying songs in 3 different formats...

dubstep is based on producers, wheras grime is now based on MC's... like grime in 2004, there are a handful of dubstep vocal 12"s in a sea of instrumentals...