luka

i was just saying to droid i think our time will come again. i could feel a hankering
for a way out of the social media trap. gizza pat on the back pls droid.

firefinga

There is no way back. Forums "oldschool style" are like vinyl. There will be - some - renaissance - but the times have changed.

luka

i cant see their forum really taking off cos ive never heard of them. you never know i guess
but sounds like it will just be another dubstep fourm. they'll probably just give up and come
here. path of least resistance. ;)

bottom line is you cant generate interesting conversation when all your mates are so basic

Last edited:

firefinga

BTW, I don't think it's the "forum format" per se, but the fact most people go online on their phones these days, which was the real web-forum killer.

Last edited:

luka

i agree. you cant write an essay, even an off the cuff one, on a smartphone.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Poor old dissensus doesn't even get a mention

Mind you we don't actually talk about new music on here anymore

luka

lol corpsey can you take some pride in your appearance pls? straighten your back. push your chest out!
we talk about new music! every journalist that wanted to talk about juke came here. everyone that wanted to know about deep tech was taking notes off trilliam. that's just a fact.

luka

people like you have always come here to learn. its just that most of them only lurk and dont participate.

luka

I dont talk about new music. and i didnt post in either of those threads but they were both huge in
terms of influence.

firefinga

I dont talk about new music. and i didnt post in either of those threads but they were both huge in
terms of influence.

I am pushing 40 for crying out loud. I would feel idiotic to enthusiastically big up new music. Doesn't mean I am not interested.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lol corpsey can you take some pride in your appearance pls? straighten your back. push your chest out!
we talk about new music! every journalist that wanted to talk about juke came here. everyone that wanted to know about deep tech was taking notes off trilliam. that's just a fact.

I thought we all agreed that the most interesting things to talk about on here are metaphysics and DMT, not PC music or whatever

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Discussing music is fun but it would be more fun if it actually mattered

Like we were the chorus in a greek tragedy and the musicians had to listen to us

Mind you then the music would probably turn shite

I was thinking only the other day about critics vs. musicians - has there been many/any good critic-practitioners in music?

firefinga

terms of influence.

I liked the debate about EDM. Despite the fact I am thinking EDM is among the most horrible music-movements I have ever witnessed.

Last edited:

blissblogger

I was thinking only the other day about critics vs. musicians - has there been many/any good critic-practitioners in music?

loads.

many classical and 20th Century avant-garde composers were critics and essayists and theorists - Wagner, Schoenberg, John Cage, Michel Chion, Pierre Schaeffer, Pauline Oliveros, Michael Nyman, lots more...

and often they were in fruitful dialogue with critics - Wagner and Nietzche (who also did a bit of composing himself) had an intense relationship, extremely mutually warm at first(Nietzche moved in with RW and his bird Cosima) but ultimately leading to a parting of the ways (whereupon Nietszche wrote no less than three anti-Wagner books!)

Eno is a paradigm example of someone whose thoughts on music (and culture generally) ought to be compiled into a book (his Diary With Swollen Appendices is great fun but isn't quite that)

Green Gartside, Momus, David Byrne, Drew from Matmos.... all could have / should have /actually have written books

But do you mean critics who are primarily or initially only critics, and then move into music?

there's quite a few examples of that syndrome - Greg Tate with his black rock group Burnt Sugar, Paul Morley with Art of Noise (in a sense) and Infantjoy, Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye, more that i'm blanking on

at one point i was going to write an article on the phenomenon

blissblogger

the phrase that leapt out to me in that FACT piece was the idea that - thanks in part to streaming - music has become "a one pass medium like film"

that's been my relationship with most incoming music (new and new-old - meaning old thing not heard before) for a good while

you listen to it once and then the profusion of other possibilities out there forces you onwards - you might mean to go back for a second pass but you rarely do

a byproduct of the churn is that there is something intensely pleasurable and throwback-blissful about those rarer and rarer times when you do get stuck on something and just have to replay it over and over - it's like slipping back into analogue time and an attention economy based around scarcity of options

also related is the voluptuous pleasure of listening to an old favourite - just spurning all the other options, the things you should check out, and going back to something you love for the umpteenth listen

a bit like the indulgent pleasure of rereading a favorite book (when there's so many other things - new and classic - you should be getting to)