viktorvaughn

yeh a couple of standard ones, but for me definitely still worth it... Mind & Soul, Malfunction, Quantum Jazz and Greazy are all huge

you guys should check that mix i posted upthread, some of his new stuff is amazing... he's been pursuing the overt house vibes quite a bit, proper rushy, its got a lot of energy and rhythmically he's doing some sick things... kind of like really squashed, bass-heavy broken garage... and he throws in a load of mala's best moments and some other classics for good measure. shame the recording peaks quite a lot

I got the double pak for 6£ and the two tunes on the D side are immense! The chipmunk one and then chilled housey one (Quantum Jazz) which sounds like a broken-beat track to me. I can think of it fitting in really well to the tunes on Tempa Allstars 1, that sort of period of garage. Hypnotic and sublime. I totally agree about D1, hope he keeps on the broken house vibe and steers well clear of macho bass bangers. Skream seems to have gone quite off the boil for me.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
At Dubraiser, D1 played what must have been a mix by him of Everything But the Girl's "Missing". After Olive's "You're Not Alone" it seems there's no end to his love of Ibiza anthems with extra bass... :)

viktorvaughn

At Dubraiser, D1 played what must have been a mix by him of Everything But the Girl's "Missing". After Olive's "You're Not Alone" it seems there's no end to his love of Ibiza anthems with extra bass... :)

That information makes me strangely happy! Big up D1.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
D1 is sick, lots of different ideas.

Those geezers who just got signed to Tectonic are really good too, their name is 4 numbers. I forget which ones. They sound really techno-y, but in a way that's different from other people trying to bring together dubstep and techno.

Basically I wish there was more of these kinds of producers getting recognition. I love dubstep, but I am about to blow a blood vessel in my brain watching kids at FWD go absolutely APE SHIT to every track with a bassline. I'm starting to feel the quality control in dubstep is going right down the toilet.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks for the kind words about Sufferah 3 and mxmm respect to Blackdown for the interview

It's back up along with all the other mixes now.

I think dubstep needs to branch out at the edges, and I think it is - into house (2652), chthonic techno (cloaks, skream), jazz (me), acidic ragga (me, the bug)... but at its best you can still tell it's garage. When you can't, it's bad dubstep.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've been quite down with a lot of what Skream's doing - the 2D, the Klaxons mix, his technoid stuff. But he writes about 17 tracks a week, so a lot of them are going to border on generic.

Re the perponderance of mediocre halfstep wobblers getting huge rections, Random Trio recently made an interesting post on dubstepforum on the subject:

RANDOM TRIO said:
Intresting..

When ever i play out 95% of my selection is non wobble, just nice deep meditational music. The crowd are mostly quite untill a big wobbler comes on. This obviously gets us ( a few other guys feel the same) a bit para as we think no 1's enjoying the selection or wotever. After the set though the feed back has always been 100%.

So whats the score with the ravers?
Is it that with the more minimal sound your more in a zone listening to the music?

With the dark wobble, however good or bad it might be it just makes u wana go mad?

Hope this makes sense, easier to explain then type..

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah, that post made sense. to me, a lot of dubstep djs just need to take more risks - if people arent going 'off' to more groove lead dubstep, so what? doesn't mean they're not enjoying it. 'meditate on bass weight' and all that.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Depends if people are trying to 'ave it or meditate. Different moments in the night, crowds, raves etc. I still like wobble and don't want to see it thrown out because people think it's not sophisticated or deep or something. Do we have to meditate all the time? Can't we have both? I think wobble is like halfstep. You don't want to hear it all night or it all gets too samey but after a gnarly wobble tune dropping into a pure smooth sine tune the sine sounds that much deeper and heavier for the contrast and same way vice versa. I know people get fatigued off certain sonic cliches but for those of us who don't listen to 24/7 dubstep I still see ways forward there that are non-formulaic.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
yeah, that post made sense. to me, a lot of dubstep djs just need to take more risks - if people arent going 'off' to more groove lead dubstep, so what? doesn't mean they're not enjoying it. 'meditate on bass weight' and all that.
The trouble is, there isn't much visual difference between a crowd who are really feeling the music in a deep meditative sort of way and a crowd who are bored and about to piss off. It's one thing to blame DJ's for not trying out more varied stuff, but you can't really blame them for wanting to be sure that the crowd are actually enjoying the selection.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
The trouble is, there isn't much visual difference between a crowd who are really feeling the music in a deep meditative sort of way and a crowd who are bored and about to piss off. It's one thing to blame DJ's for not trying out more varied stuff, but you can't really blame them for wanting to be sure that the crowd are actually enjoying the selection.

I think thats a function of the scene getting bigger...when fwd was barely half full on a Thursday a DJ had some sort of confidence that everyone there was 100% committed to this abstract outsider music and could go where he liked...but as crowds get larger its harder to read the signals I guess.

The best moments are when you get the juxtaposition between the meditative and the mental wobble-release in the space of a couple of hours. My favorite DMZ this year was when Pinch played the most jaw droppingly deepest set ever, which the packed crowd barely seemed to shuffle along too (but gave him a massive cheer at the end)...and then immediately afterwards Mala and Loefah came on and dropped 'Mud' or something: the tension-release dynamic was incredible. I definitely think there is a place for both but it has to be part of a wider narrative of a night; it has to make sense at that point.

The worse sets are just random noisy wobble plus the odd vocal tune, badly mixed in.

i need more songs with lively drums. any non-obvious suggestions i can buy on vinyl?
i hate all this headnod stuff, hate it. wobble maybe, but i need exciting drum patterns. they seem to be few and far between.

elgato

I just dont know
This mix is fantastic.

I've got some dubstep (Skream, Vex'd, various mixes), but this stuff is the first music from the genre to get under my skin properly. Where can I get more of the sameish?

*almost converted*

hmm im sorry to say that its mostly an anomaly at the moment, that set is mostly D1, quite lot of Mala (DMZ) and a couple of Horsepower/Benny Ill things... all of whom are more or less out on their own with their sounds...

i would recommend some DMZ sets from barefiles if you havent already checked them

elgato

I just dont know
also look into the early Tempa releases (up to 12), i think you can get mp3s at dubplate.net, and maybe the Roots of Dubstep compilation?

elgato

I just dont know
so who knows of new new heads who are worth checking. as in those without releases as yet, bouncing around the forum perhaps...

Pangaea is the first that comes to mind
i heard a 2steppy Janner tune i liked, but his other stuff i wasnt sure of
Side9000 is pretty sick

and any more...?