Where should I eat in London?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
heard terrible things about everywhere in south america.

I think food in South America is probably pretty great if you eat meat, pretty limited if you don't. A vegetarian mate of mine has lived there twice, probably for a couple of years in total and mainly in Argentina, which as far as I can tell is virtually an entire nation of HMGovt's. This is a country where the 'vegetarian' option in restaurants is often not even fish but chicken.

I asked him what Argentinian vegetarians eat at Christmas, and he glumly said "Meat."

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Only been there once (Colombia), but the vegan food was arguably better than the meat (tho obviously far less easily found). Not a food destination to brag about, aside from the fruit which was epic.

Loads of countries in Europe think vegetarian means 'with chicken'.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
What is the best fried chicken in London? I went to Bird the other night - the actual chicken is great but they spoil it with over-enthusiastic addition of sauce. I still ate a whole skillet full though.

The bread thing is weird. You can get good bread but it's hipsterised and therefore expensive. British people in general are happy with low quality facsimile shit if it's cheap, just look at our government.

I though New York was miles better for food 'cos eating out is much more part of the culture, and it's not being sold back to you as a luxury like every fucking thing in London.

Morley's. Korean fried chicken is pretty fantastic, not sure where the best spot for it is in London tho.

Totally. The majority of British people hate nice things, and will destroy them if they can, replacing them with low quality facsimile shit. Or anything at all, as long as it's not obviously nice.

Last edited:

Leo

Totally. The majority of British people hate nice things, and will destroy them if they can, replacing them with low quality facsimile shit. Or anything at all, as long as it's not obviously nice.

step back for a minute and think about how amazing that is. you may no longer think it's crazy, since you've live every day for so long, but that is a fucking crazy nonetheless.

luka

americans do the same thing of course, to an even more perverse degree. garlic powder being my favourite symbol for the process. very few americans have seen garlic or know what it looks like in its natural state.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I think this is one half of what I call the British Hedonism Paradox.

Five centuries of Protestant self-abnegation have left us suspicious, even phobic, of genuine luxury, even in an age when most people are no longer Christian in any meaningful sense. At the same time, a far older race-memory of the druid and the berserker lurks behind our hopeless addiction to self-destructive excess.

So you have a culture where many people would think spending fifty quid on a really good bottle of wine an outrageous frivolity, yet will happily spend the same amount over the course of an evening getting shitfaced on generic lager and shots (and perhaps the same again on a gram of gak to go with it).

I think things were gradually getting better for a couple of generations – the British palate is, if nothing else, at least open to new influences – but even that progress may be lost now the country’s been taken over by lunatics who probably think the national dish should be, at best, roast beef cooked until it’s brown all the way through with a pile of miserable boiled veg on the side, or perhaps more realistically a piece of burnt toast and a slice of Spam.

Last edited:

luka

obviously sipping on wine and eating olives is not a replacement for berserk darkside descent into madness. we should make that clear.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
obviously sipping on wine and eating olives is not a replacement for berserk darkside descent into madness. we should make that clear.

Not at all. You need both. Yin and yang, and all that.

Last edited:

martin

----
a piece of burnt toast and a slice of Spam.

What a great idea for a thoroughly cuntish hipster pop-up café. With the menu designed like a 1940 ration book. Milk the post-ironic mob before they retire to Somerset.

BTW, doubtful, but does anyone know anywhere in London that does decent Cajun food? If I won £5 billion, I'd pay Coop's and Le Cochon in New Orleans to relocate, brick by brick, next door to my mansion, keeping all the staff on exorbitant retainers, and eat nowhere else.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Plaquemine Loch in Angel, next to the canal, does decent cajun style food. I loved it, though I've never eaten the real deal.

DannyL

Wild Horses
PS just down the road from me, I went there for my birthday last year. Holla if you want an impromptu Dissensus nosh up.

woops

is not like other people
What is the best fried chicken in London? I went to Bird the other night - the actual chicken is great but they spoil it with over-enthusiastic addition of sauce. I still ate a whole skillet full though.

imo the best fried chicken in london is sunlight kebab on blackstock road

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i will visit london for the first time ever from october 3rd till october 7th, are there any interesting events during that time?

luka

i might drink 2 or 3 pints in a pub during that time period or might go metal with hallucengenics or might mostly eat steamed green vegetables. its really to early at this point to say which of my selves will be in rotation.

i will definitely be writing poems for money by the thames though.