Leo

people who rush to twitter/facebook/email when someone famous dies. posting "robin williams RIP" doesn't make you cool or important. even worse are the too-cool people who post only "this is a terrible loss." i don't care that you know someone died, fuck off (ok, that's a bit harsh but ya know).

trza

I could never stand the guy anyway. Those television interviews where he would have a guy write material for him so he could act even crazier than other comedians promoting movies were just sad.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Visual or conceptual artists with no particularly notable musical taste or talent who form bands and/or DJ and get booked at events run by their artist mates.

Leo

13 years after the fact, the city council in my town directly across the hudson river from the wall street/financial district is still debating what kind of 9/11 memorial to erect on the riverfront pier. it became a political football years ago, with endless discussion about where it should go, what it should look like, who should be commissioned to create it, how elaborate or simple it should be, how much it should cost and how to pay for it. "design by committee" -- none of whom have any design sense -- in full effect.

it's really brought out every sort of petty bickering and negative political stereotype imaginable, and is a bit of a disgrace to the families and friends of the nearly 100 town residents who were killed in the attack.

i'm sure there's such a thing as a decent politician, but most of them are pretty scummy. that's my take.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why are modern cars almost universally either bland-looking at best, if not downright hideous? Watch a film from the 40s/50s/60s - the flash cars are stunning and even the family runarounds have a charm that's pretty rare these days. Why can't manufacturers make cars that are as reliable/safe/efficient/easy to drive as modern cars but have a bit of aesthetic flair on the outside? I'm not wholly keen on unimaginative retro-fetishism but even if all the good ideas have been had already, they could do a lot worse than just copy the designs from 50-60 years ago.

Last edited:

Leo

Why are modern cars almost universally either bland-looking at best, if not downright hideous? Watch a film from the 40s/50s/60s - the flash cars are stunning and even the family runarounds have a charm that's pretty rare these days. Why can't manufacturers make cars that are as reliable/safe/efficient/easy to drive as modern cars but have a bit of aesthetic flair on the outside? I'm not wholly keen on unimaginative retro-fetishism but even if all the good ideas have been had already, they could do a lot worse than just copy the designs from 50-60 years ago.

i feel the same way, although i thought perhaps it was because i'm not really into cars and am unable to distinguish things that connoisseurs recognize. i can't tell the difference or identify probably 80% of the american cars on the road, they all have the same aerodynamic front-end design. always thought someone could do well to introduce something with a more square or block-like design, like the mercedes-benz style from the 60s/70s.

1599px-Bonhams_-_The_Paris_Sale_2012_-_Mercedes-Benz_280SL_Convertible_-_1970_-_004.jpg

a "boxy" look can't make that much of difference in wind resistance, can it? i think it's one of the reasons the mini-cooper did well in the states, had a different look that wasn't the boring sleek aerodynamic rounded front end. the mini isn't a huge seller to middle american, though, so i guess car companies stick to what sells the most.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I also have no real interest in cars, precisely because they're so boring-looking and unromantic. Maybe I'd take more interest if more of them - perhaps even including one I could afford to buy/fuel/insure/maintain - looked like that^^.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
okay, this is a very narrow one, that's pointless and petty but drives me mental. I really hate the way (this goes back to when I worked in a call-centre) that there's a specific and universal phonetic alphabet for dickheads.

'B for Bertie'
'F for Freddie'
'M for Mother'
'N for Norman'
'P for Peter'
'S for Sugar'

if they're really good they'll use both 'B for Bertie' and 'D for dirty'. Brilliant.

I was thinking about this the other day for some reason, and how great it would be to subvert it by using:

'D for Dvořák',
'P for psoriasis',
'J for jalapeño',
'H for homage',
'Q for Qur'an',
'K for kneecap',
'E for Eiswein',

and so on.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Grown women who do obnoxious, attention-seeking things - things that would get you or me beaten up, arrested or at the very least thrown out of wherever we were - just because they can.

Fucksake, grow up.

Leo

Grown women who do obnoxious, attention-seeking things - things that would get you or me beaten up, arrested or at the very least thrown out of wherever we were - just because they can.

Fucksake, grow up.

now i'm intrigued, care to give an example?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
modern work (of a certain kind) - procurement policies, authority matrices, waiting in limbo for approval from people who never answer their emails. like a nightmare that you can't even explain to anyone because it's too boring and you forget what the problem actually is before you've finished explaining it.

Leo

modern work (of a certain kind) - procurement policies, authority matrices, waiting in limbo for approval from people who never answer their emails. like a nightmare that you can't even explain to anyone because it's too boring and you forget what the problem actually is before you've finished explaining it.

yes...but someday, if you stick with it, YOU will be promoted to the senior level where YOU can be the one demanding arcane datapoints and ignoring emails from the peons. then it will all be worth it.