offal

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I had intestine by mistake in Istanbul - one of the few things that's really turned my stomach. Ahem.

On th egood side, had amazing offal soup in Portugal.

Any more kidney recipes - those devilled kidneys look lush, gonna try that this week if i remember to get redcurrant jelly.

viktorvaughn

ok as promised

starting point
dsc09457.jpg

give him a shave (mind the brain)
dsc09474y.jpg

dsc09471.jpg

stuff for brawn cooking (note ear, trotter and brain in the pot) with stock veg and peppercorns / coriander seeds
dsc09477.jpg

pick the flesh from the skull
dsc09478.jpg

finished brawn
dsc09487.jpg

lunch sorted
dsc09490v.jpg

the other half of mr pig going in to roast on a bed of shallots and garlic
dsc09476.jpg

and cooked!
dsc09479.jpg

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
ok as promised

starting point
dsc09457.jpg

give him a shave (mind the brain)

stuff for brawn cooking (note ear, trotter and brain in the pot) with stock veg and peppercorns / coriander seeds
dsc09477.jpg

pick the flesh from the skull

finished brawn
dsc09487.jpg

the other half of mr pig going in to roast on a bed of shallots and garlic
dsc09476.jpg

and cooked!
dsc09479.jpg

wow! thanks for sharing.

nochexxx

harco pronting
how did you make the brawn out of that pot of stock?

was it drained, blended and patted into shape?

viktorvaughn

I fished out the head and trotters when it was all falling off the bone, let it cool and picked all the meat out. You can add as much fat/snout etc as you want. I then added chopped parsley, salt and pepper and a dash of red wine vinegar.

Then strained the stock, reduced it by about 2/3 on a high heat and then use that (it has lots of gelatin and collagen in from the trotter) to pour over all the bits of meat and leave it to set.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ain't that almost always the way though? very rarely do i spend more than an hour on cooking and feel that it was definitely worth it (that is, an hour constantly doing things, rather than slow cooking, which is usually worth the wait - btw, can anyone recommend a good standalone slow cooker?)

viktorvaughn

Yeah can be definitely. I made a rabbit terrine from a Mark Hix recipe that took ages and it was frankly pretty awful. Whereas I'm sure if i'd just chucked the rabbit segments into a pan with some passata, onion, garlic, anchovy and rosemary for an hour and half it would have been really nice!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
things like terrine that seem to require some kind of coordination, i stay away from, for good reason. anything that involves pastry, i don't even look at the recipe. I'm very much a fan of chucking things into the pan, and getting points for flavours over style.

edit: anchovy and rosemary is a brilliant combination. think i've done it with lamb before.