Alcoholic hot drinks

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well the nights are drawing in, it's getting chillier by the day and cold (or even cool) beers don't have quite the same appeal they did a few months ago. So what warm boozy tipples do you recommend? I can only think of a few: mulled wine, obviously; Irish coffee; and that one where you warm up a shot of whisk(e)y with water, brown sugar and a slice of lemon with cloves stuck in it (edit: I mean a hot toddy, cheers zhao). Mmmm.

More suggestions, or personalised recipes for the above, would be most welcome. Oh, and has anyone tried that Pimm's Winter Cup yet? I think it's their old Number 5, the brandy-based version. Looks well lush...

Last edited:

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Sake! Maybe too delicate for the bigmugwarmingthehands bythefireside slurping you're talking about though ...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ooh, good call, I'd forgotten about sake. Only had it a couple of times but I do like it. Is there much difference between sakes from different countries, do you know?

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Ooh, good call, I'd forgotten about sake. Only had it a couple of times but I do like it. Is there much difference between sakes from different countries, do you know?

I don't know ... it would be amazing if you could get a jug of it in normal pubs though. I've always found sake to give a really really nice clean clear-headed tipsiness. Very social drink, I think.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah winter Pimms is the one...mix it with apple juice and heat it up and it's lovely.

also, there's a lot to be said for adding whisky to milky tea, but the ratio of alcohol to tea has to be spot on, otherwise it's a disgusting drink.

really,though, winter's all about big strong red wines innit.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Never tried heating one up, but the Tramp's Christmas (Special Brew with a good slug of cherry brandy) is a lovely path to wintry oblivion.

Client Eastwood

Morgans Spiced Rum - Nice and warming when youre coming in from the cold.

edit : ohh it has to be hot - errm a dash of warm water ?

matt b

Indexing all opinion

According to my guide in all things relating to Japanese cuisine (erm, Oishinbo) the real differences are related to how the sake is made (e.g. is the rice polished, method used to make the starter, whether alcohol is added etc).

Drinking temperature is also considered critical.

Me? can't stand the stuff.

oishinbo_2_175.jpg

http://www.sake-world.com/html/types-of-sake.html

craner

Beast of Burden
That hot spicey cider you get at Borough Market is both the world's greatest hangover cure and the best way to kick off a Saturday-long drinking spree in the middle of winter. That's good advice if you want it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Notice I use the nicer word 'spree' rather than the ugly cousin 'binge'. I expect Dissensians to spree rather than binge, like the good eggs that you are.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
probably not to be condoned but hot chocolate with that syrupy orange spirit, i forget the name, is disgusting but quite great. Like getting a chocolate orange at christmas and eating the whole thing before lunch

PeteUM

It's all grist
On the spiced cider tip, that stuff certainly helped on a slightly doomed camping trip with my ex this time about two years ago in the Wye Valley somewhere. I was a bit sceptical because it was just one of those glass jugs of tourist cider and a few bits and bobs (I'd guess at ginger, orange, maybe sugar and cloves or something) but it was absolutely delicious. More easy to abuse than mulled wine too, I would say, which is a good thing obviously.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Toddies are the way to go. You can make them with rum as well as whiskey (though I'm not sure if you have to change any of the rest of the recipie to do this).

Pestario

tell your friends
A belgian friend of mine made a drink by adding cognac to strong black tea with honey and a slice of lemon. Quite yummy and I would guess good for a cold but you have to get the mixture right or it tastes wrong (so I discovered when I tried to make it)

Sake is strange in that it gets you very drunk very quickly, then you sober up in 20 minutes. Intrigued by the special brew with cherry liquer, but I've always been of the opinion that it and the humble tennents purple tin should be as seedy as possible. Ie. don't put it in a glass, dont refridgerate.

I just thought that mead (honey drink) should make a nice toddy, it's such a shame that it costs so much and is hard to find.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
also a fan of whiskey in the coffee in the morning.

irish coffee sends me completely mental - i like it but the combination of caffeine and alcohol all in one makes my body confused.

setting jaegermeister on fire and drinking it (obv after the flames have dispersed....)