Cities we applaud

scottdisco

rip this joint please
thought i'd put this up as it's an interesting story that i was mentioning to the charming and funny Mr Tea when he took me on a splendid ale trail and pork scratching/crisps festival along Fleet Street yday.

Miami has the largest foreign-born population of any city in the world, a United Nations report says.
Some 59% of people in the city were not born in the US, the UN Development Programme report said.

The city is home to many Cubans, as well as migrants from the Caribbean and South America.

The report said Canada's Toronto had the second-highest proportion of foreign-born citizens (44%), while Los Angeles was a close third with 41%.

Another two North American cities - Canada's Vancouver (37%) and New York (36%) - made it into the top five, the report said.

Outside North America, the town-state of Singapore scored highest (33%), followed by Australia's Sydney (31%), Abidjan (30%) in Ivory Coast, London (28%) and Paris (23%).

this story is five years old now so may be out of date probably but TO is certainly the most cosmo city on earth i rate so it in at number two is i'm sure no change

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3898795.stm

STN

sou'wester
do we have to have a good reason, or can I just politely clap the following cities?

Bristol
Portland, OR
Dakar

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
impromptu pork scratchings festival? *slaver...*

I applaud the following:

Budapest
Berlin
Bogota
Zagreb

STN

sou'wester
where was it that that geezer pushed Noel Gallagher off the stage? I applaud that city.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
thought i'd put this up as it's an interesting story that i was mentioning to the charming and funny Mr Tea when he took me on a splendid ale trail and pork scratching/crisps festival along Fleet Street yday.

Awww... *blush*

I only went and cooked a pizza when I got home, didn't I? Oink oink.

Woops, unintentional porcine cannibalism there.

Yeah, it's an interesting thing about the cities. I'd have thought London would be higher up the list, to be honest. Do the figures include estimates for illegal immigrants, visa-overstayers, foreign students etc. AFAYK?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
<3 the pizza!

(and Troy bar, where i will be less nervy wrt cat-related reasons another time.)

Tea, i reckon it would take into account those sorts of things. mind you, a lot of the cities mentioned in that list are big, global cities anyway, so probably a lot have the same issues.

me:

Nicosia
Cambridge
Antwerp
Barcelona
Dublin
Milan
Seattle

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Don't know that many cities very well, as it goes, but I always rep for Barcelona.
Also, Albi in southern France is fantastic, sort of on the line between being a city and being particularly large town though.
I quite like Leeds, based on the few times I visited my uncle there.
Have to admit that Edinburgh is a very interesting place to visit, even on multiple occassions, but I can't objectively bring myself to applaud what it stands for (apoligies to 4lh and everyone else I know who lives there).

craner

Beast of Burden
Swansea
London
Istanbul
Kirkuk
Chicago
Riga
Birmingham
Toronto
La Rochelle
Venice
New York

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i take offense to this so back it up!

you know how it is in the Bay, dude. you gotta stick with your side.

tbf there are a lot of great things about SF but I would never, ever want to live there. mainly cos it's insanely expensive, but also, this is the city that sent riot cops to arrest Food Not Bombs and has been engaged in a long-running war against its homeless population. dot-com yuppies. yuppies in general. a city where the main (only, really) black neighborhood is on a Superfund site. Willie Brown (admittedly, both a positive and a negative. but mostly negative). plus all the goddamn tourists and all the chintzy stuff that caters to them, Fishermen's Wharf & all that nonsense.

Oakland is the Black Panthers, Fruitvale, Don Nelson. the Oakland Black Cowboys association. Souls of Mischief, Del, Too Short. Lake Merritt & Lake Temescal. it's the city that passed a resolution calling for Ebonics to be recognized as its own language. it's also, relating to the original topic, the 2nd-most diverse city in the U.S. by the last census; Oakland is all about that Southeast Asian/Latin/black/white mix.

seriously, it's not even close. (in case it's not clear, this is all good-natured ribbing)

also, glad to see Chicago getting so much love.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Dundee. Often unfairly maligned by folk who've never been there

My family's from there. I couldn't ever quite figure out why everyone in Scotland thinks it's shit. Seems like a lot of places in the UK to me.

And one for the list -Seville.