Cities we applaud

luka

yeah you're right, public transport in auckland is non-existant....
otherwise i really love the place.

luka

the same applies for all australia and nz. cities too spread out, too suburbinated.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the same applies for all australia and nz. cities too spread out, too suburbinated.

gotcha.

wrt Melbourne public transport, Angus G namechecks you and i Luka (!) in this old post here, btw (where i ask a stupid question, quelle surprise)

in a pleasant surprise when i first went there (this says everything about my stupid preconceptions about a car culture, and nothing about anything else), a lot of American and Canadian cities do have good public transport (well, certainly a lot of the big ones in my experience, including 24-7 trains, and a very nice free bus system that spreads across downtown Portland, incidentally).

obviously European cities do good public transport.

apart from Manchester's Metrolink tram.

{drum-roll please..}

boom-boom!!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
in a pleasant surprise when i first went there (this says everything about my stupid preconceptions about a car culture, and nothing about anything else), a lot of American and Canadian cities do have good public transport (well, certainly a lot of the big ones in my experience, including 24-7 trains, and a very nice free bus system that spreads across downtown Portland, incidentally).

Don't think that this was a stupid preconeption at all. Think it depends on the way the city's laid out, its history etc. The private/public transport thing in America often seems to illustrate a sharp class divide, at least in some of the cities I've been to, ie poor people take the bus.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i certainly applaud this pair going for it - Broadway, Sydney

Broadway-clock-tower-romp.jpg

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Don't think that this was a stupid preconeption at all. Think it depends on the way the city's laid out, its history etc. The private/public transport thing in America often seems to illustrate a sharp class divide, at least in some of the cities I've been to, ie poor people take the bus.

yup, good point. see also the way that zoning laws have historically evolved to mean that poorer communities are quite literally frozen where they are, and all the knock on effects this has for area schooling etc, and the economic health of that community etc.

i have been told about certain sorts of zoning in the midwest that are highly exclusionary for African-Americans. (i can't back this up as i forget the details, but the person telling it me knew what they were on about.)

incidentally, NYC is one of the most racially segregated cities around AFAIK.

and it's true, the older cities (eg Boston, DC, Philadelphia etc off top of my head) tend to have better overall public transport than the newer ones (although the two big ones in the Pacific Northwest are good, and LA was better than i expected it to be). there again, in London that's also often said - albeit perhaps a bit flippantly - isn't it? that cleavage, between bus and tube? (not as much as large American urban areas, i'm sure.)

luka

the 25 bus stops outside the house i grew up. its the best bus route there is. apart from the 86. which also stops there. the 25 has the advantage of being free now though.

luka

incidently scott do you actually read every newspaper in the world?
the daily telegraph is a nsw only tabloid read by about 1000 people. how did you see that picture?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well that photo was in the Metro, I remember seeing the other day - must have been widely reported. I'd guess scott just did an image search for 'aussie couple shagging belltower public' or somesuch.

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
Brighton always feels like cheating somehow, it really does my head in.
Is it because its small? or because its full of skateboarding 40 something men? why is it cheaty?

Brighton's main problem is that the streets are crawling with apologetic Guardian journalists - wherever I go that beardy guy Alex Petridis who wears embarrassing clothes seems to be there, including the kids playground in our local park.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Is it because its small? or because its full of skateboarding 40 something men? why is it cheaty?

Brighton's main problem is that the streets are crawling with apologetic Guardian journalists - wherever I go that beardy guy Alex Petridis who wears embarrassing clothes seems to be there, including the kids playground in our local park.
I don't know, really. It just has that slightly unreal air - I get the same thing a bit with Cambridge, only where in Cambridge it's embarassingly easy to find nice pubs, second hand bookshops, general highbrow stuff, in Brighton it seems embarassingly easy to find, I dunno, 'funky' clothes shops, ska-rockabilly-prog nights, all that malarky. And the closet puritan / masochist in me refuses to appreciate anything like that unless I've had to plough through a load of listings, endure some grim public transport epic and then get lost in the rain in a load of backstreets somewhere near Whitechapel first.

It's similar to the way that I can't just enjoy a nice country pub, I have to slog up some hills in shit weather first.

It might just be me being weird tbh.

sufi

lala
I don't know, really. It just has that slightly unreal air - I get the same thing a bit with Cambridge, only where in Cambridge it's embarassingly easy to find nice pubs, second hand bookshops, general highbrow stuff, in Brighton it seems embarassingly easy to find, I dunno, 'funky' clothes shops, ska-rockabilly-prog nights, all that malarky. And the closet puritan / masochist in me refuses to appreciate anything like that unless I've had to plough through a load of listings, endure some grim public transport epic and then get lost in the rain in a load of backstreets somewhere near Whitechapel first.

It's similar to the way that I can't just enjoy a nice country pub, I have to slog up some hills in shit weather first.

It might just be me being weird tbh.
how about Bath? - similar but also different