People with great voices

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Who has (or had) the best voice? I mean their regular speaking voice, not singing/rapping etc.

I had a really long, interesting dream last night (which I can't remember at all now, it goes without saying) that involved William Burroughs. Pleasingly, he spoke in my dream exactly as he did in real life; a sort of thoughtful drawl, authoritative (not authoritarian, of course, I mean in the sense of sounding like he knows a good deal about what he's talking about), louche, sardonic with a wry, even playful undertone. And veeery croaaaky.

Other great voices:

Lauren Bacall - husky, smoky, sexy...just amazing. Few people have a voice that suit they way they look quite like she did (and still does, I expect - not seen her in anything recent).

James Earl Jones - an obvious pick, but just so good to listen to.

Moira Stewart - soothing with a mild sibilance. If you had to be told some really bad news, you could do worse than have it broken to you by Moira.

Your picks?

STN

sou'wester
I have a lovely speaking voice, deep and crisp and even.

Other than that, Will Self? Mariella Frostrup?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, Self's good.

I'm not a Fall fan, but hearing Mark E. Smith's voice always brings a smile to my face for some reason.

STN

sou'wester
quite like John Lydon's, in spite of myself.

Jo Whiley an obvious choice too.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Barry White - talked exactly the way he sang. actually they were kind of the same thing, but that was his talking voice, so.

Patrick Stewart - Engage, #1. a lot of those classic Shakespearean types (Ian McKellan and Peter O'Toole also come to mind). I reckon all the training bleeds over into their speaking voices.

crackerjack

Barry White - talked exactly the way he sang. actually they were kind of the same thing, but that was his talking voice, so.

Patrick Stewart - Engage, #1. a lot of those classic Shakespearean types (Ian McKellan and Peter O'Toole also come to mind). I reckon all the training bleeds over into their speaking voices.

Barry White fo sho, also the Shakey thesps, esp valley boys Burton and Hopkins.

This fella. and this chap

Women from Dublin and France.

swears

preppy-kei
I like nerdy voices, I can't really think of any good examples now. The Simpsons had a few interesting nerd characters with good voices. There must be loads, though.

STN

sou'wester
Who's that incredibly deadpan American comedian? He's the radio announcer in Resevoir Dogs.

Also, Mr Magic, that NY hip hop radio bloke who sadly died recently. He sounded cool reading the weather.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
hmm, for some OTOH i'm repping men, and mainly white men at that. still.

Craner has a gorgeous voice, actually.

Peter Sissons.

Martin Jol.

Lance Reddick.

Tim Marlow.

Morgan Freeman.

martin

----
On vinyl, Tommy Makem and Ronnie Drew.

That old black blind bloke in the early Jarman films, think he was a dancer? Jack something.

STN

sou'wester
hang on, not Dylan Carlson from Earth? He sounds like a Pacific Northwest munchkin. He has a ridiculous voice!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Caroll Spinney, who does the voice for Oscar the Grouch on Sesame Street. And Big Bird too. Fuck you Dylan Thomas!