Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People with great voices

Default People with great voices

Who has (or had) the best voice? I mean their regular speaking voice, not singing/rapping etc.

I had a really long, interesting dream last night (which I can't remember at all now, it goes without saying) that involved William Burroughs. Pleasingly, he spoke in my dream exactly as he did in real life; a sort of thoughtful drawl, authoritative (not authoritarian, of course, I mean in the sense of sounding like he knows a good deal about what he's talking about), louche, sardonic with a wry, even playful undertone. And veeery croaaaky.

Other great voices:

Lauren Bacall - husky, smoky, sexy...just amazing. Few people have a voice that suit they way they look quite like she did (and still does, I expect - not seen her in anything recent).

James Earl Jones - an obvious pick, but just so good to listen to.

Moira Stewart - soothing with a mild sibilance. If you had to be told some really bad news, you could do worse than have it broken to you by Moira.

Your picks?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I have a lovely speaking voice, deep and crisp and even.

Other than that, Will Self? Mariella Frostrup?

Oh yeah, Self's good.

I'm not a Fall fan, but hearing Mark E. Smith's voice always brings a smile to my face for some reason.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

quite like John Lydon's, in spite of myself.

Jo Whiley an obvious choice too.

Barry White - talked exactly the way he sang. actually they were kind of the same thing, but that was his talking voice, so.

Patrick Stewart - Engage, #1. a lot of those classic Shakespearean types (Ian McKellan and Peter O'Toole also come to mind). I reckon all the training bleeds over into their speaking voices.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    Barry White - talked exactly the way he sang. actually they were kind of the same thing, but that was his talking voice, so.

Patrick Stewart - Engage, #1. a lot of those classic Shakespearean types (Ian McKellan and Peter O'Toole also come to mind). I reckon all the training bleeds over into their speaking voices.
    Barry White fo sho, also the Shakey thesps, esp valley boys Burton and Hopkins.

This fella. and this chap

Women from Dublin and France.

Luke Skyywalker.

I like nerdy voices, I can't really think of any good examples now. The Simpsons had a few interesting nerd characters with good voices. There must be loads, though.

Who's that incredibly deadpan American comedian? He's the radio announcer in Resevoir Dogs.

Also, Mr Magic, that NY hip hop radio bloke who sadly died recently. He sounded cool reading the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    Who's that incredibly deadpan American comedian? He's the radio announcer in Resevoir Dogs.

Also, Mr Magic, that NY hip hop radio bloke who sadly died recently. He sounded cool reading the weather.
    Steve Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Wright

Good call!

"When I first read the dictionary I thought it was a long poem about everything."

hmm, for some OTOH i'm repping men, and mainly white men at that. still.

Craner has a gorgeous voice, actually.

Peter Sissons.

Martin Jol.

Lance Reddick.

Tim Marlow.

Morgan Freeman.

"I bought some second hand paint - it came in the shape of a house"

Gore Vidal in full spate is impressive when his stately indignation overcomes the spiteful queenliness.

Darcus Howe, Dylan Carlson, Eddie Large, Stewart Lee, John Waters...