Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 141

Thread: Pointless but it makes me go: "Wow, didn't know that."

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Once upon a time there was an actual documented 'dancing plague' in France, in the 16th century. Numerous people began throwing shapes for days without rest, and over the period of a few weeks, most of the participants died from heart failure, strokes, or enfeeblement.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allegiant View Post
    Once upon a time there was an actual documented 'dancing plague' in France, in the 16th century. Numerous people began throwing shapes for days without rest, and over the period of a few weeks, most of the participants died from heart failure, strokes, or enfeeblement.
    Haha, yeah I remember reading about that. Fucking hilarious.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_mania

    hahaha

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,992

    Default

    Dissensus quiz question for Thursday - name cities that are built on seven hills.

    After Rome, I'll give you Bath (apparently - I didn't know any aside from Rome). Ten (at least) to get in all.

  4. #34

    Default

    Sheff, obv.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Barcelona, I think

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,992

    Default

    Amman, Bath, Iasi, Istanbul, Moscow, Rome, San Francisco, Seattle, Sheffield, and Yaounde.

    Apparently.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Is Edinburgh correct?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    124

    Default

    At the end of the 17th century Tsar Peter the Great introduced a tax on beards in Russia. Every man fond of his facial hair had to pay in order to be allowed to keep it. The fee for full beards was especially high.

    I, for one, absolutely support this policy and call for it to be reintroduced immediately! Beards are just silly.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CHI
    Posts
    2,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanugo View Post
    I, for one, absolutely support this policy and call for it to be reintroduced immediately! Beards are just silly.
    you'll have to pry my beard

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    berlin
    Posts
    8,453

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    لندورا
    Posts
    2,655

    Default

    nice one dear zhao,
    you probably saw this, on a similar theme, but getting smaller:

    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/conte...n/cells/scale/

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    leigh on sea
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    cheers zhao - that's my son's homework done for him. He had a free hand to research something about space!!!

    We have just sat there and gone wow alot over the pix.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    leigh on sea
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    don't suppose you got a link for it - we're having trouble printing it out!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    berlin
    Posts
    8,453

    Default

    not sure what you mean by a link... just open the image in photoshop and print it out? might have to cut it up into a few pieces though...

    that micro one is nice soofie

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    leigh on sea
    Posts
    1,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    not sure what you mean by a link... just open the image in photoshop and print it out? might have to cut it up into a few pieces though...

    that micro one is nice soofie
    All ok now - the nipper figured it out long before his old man!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •