Pointless but it makes me go: "Wow, didn't know that."

griftert

spent about 20 minutes trying to find that lol! the one question google doesn't have the answer for

ooft...excuse my idiocy

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Heh, no worries.

It's Malagasy (spoken in Madagascar but related to Tagalog, Maori, Malay etc.) for anyone still wondering.

Leo

places you can legally get high at a same-sex wedding!

same-sex_marriage_marijuana_legalization.0.png

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I heard about this the other day and it blew my mind.

You know how lichens are a symbiotic organism made up of a fungus and an alga, right? Actually it turns out many - perhaps most - of them are a community of an alga, a filamentous fungus (which has been known about since the 19th century) and another fungus that exists as a unicellular yeast. It's this second fungus that's the new discovery. And just to make it even more interesting, the two fungi are from completely separate phyla that diverged hundreds of millions of years ago.

http://www.popsci.com/new-research-finds-lichens-are-not-just-two-organism-marriage

sadmanbarty

A nice trick to counteract your confirmation bias:

"The motivational instructions told participants to be "as objective and unbiased as possible", to consider themselves "as a judge or juror asked to weigh all of the evidence in a fair and impartial manner". The alternative, cognition-focused, instructions were silent on the desired outcome of the participants’ consideration, instead focusing only on the strategy to employ: "Ask yourself at each step whether you would have made the same high or low evaluations had exactly the same study produced results on the other side of the issue." So, for example, if presented with a piece of research that suggested the death penalty lowered murder rates, the participants were asked to analyse the study's methodology and imagine the results pointed the opposite way.
They called this the "consider the opposite" strategy, and the results were striking. Instructed to be fair and impartial, participants showed the exact same biases when weighing the evidence as in the original experiment. Pro-death penalty participants thought the evidence supported the death penalty. Anti-death penalty participants thought it supported abolition. Wanting to make unbiased decisions wasn't enough. The "consider the opposite" participants, on the other hand, completely overcame the biased assimilation effect – they weren't driven to rate the studies which agreed with their preconceptions as better than the ones that disagreed, and didn't become more extreme in their views regardless of which evidence they read."

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170131-why-wont-some-people-listen-to-reason?ocid=fbfut