Pointless but it makes me go: "Wow, didn't know that."

Leo

The Rock ’n’ Roll Casualty Who Became a War Hero

I asked if he ever talked about it. Jason shook his head no. Did they find out anyway? “Always.”

The first time was at Fort Benning in 1994, in the middle of the hell of basic training. The ex-cop recruits in boot camp with him said that prisoners had more freedom than they did. There were guys who faked suicide attempts to get out of basic. But Everman never had any doubts. “I was 100 percent,” he told me. “If I wasn’t, there was no way I’d get through it.”

He had three drill sergeants, two of whom were sadists. Thank God it was the easygoing one who saw it. He was reading a magazine, when he slowly looked up and stared at Everman. Then the sergeant walked over, pointing to a page in the magazine. “Is this you?” It was a photo of the biggest band in the world, Nirvana. Kurt Cobain had just killed himself, and this was a story about his suicide. Next to Cobain was the band’s onetime second guitarist. A guy with long, strawberry blond curls. “Is this you?”

Everman exhaled. “Yes, Drill Sergeant.”

And that was only half of it. Jason Everman has the unique distinction of being the guy who was kicked out of Nirvana and Soundgarden, two rock bands that would sell roughly 100 million records combined. At 26, he wasn’t just Pete Best, the guy the Beatles left behind. He was Pete Best twice.

Then again, he wasn’t remotely. What Everman did afterward put him far outside the category of rock’n’roll footnote. He became an elite member of the U.S. Army Special Forces, one of those bearded guys riding around on horseback in Afghanistan fighting the Taliban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/02/magazine/evermans-war.html

droid

Not sure about that. Recently learned it originated in minstrel performances from the mid 1800's, presumably long before crossing a rural road was a dangerous activity.

droid

Well, if you really want to know...

Some friends of mine do a radio show and I was listening to it the other day and heard a tune by Pigmeat Markham called 'Here Comes The Judge' with a lovely break at the start.

So I thought 'I have to nab that break', and went searching. Couldnt find the break, but did discover that Pigmeat is claimed by some to be the originator of hip hop.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/04/did-pigmeat-markham-release-the-first-hip-hop-song/

Well that's an interesting theory, what else did this guy get up to? Turns out he was a minstrel and performed in blackface for most of his career. Found a reference to his autobiography, and whilst trying to find an ebook of that I found this article.

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2010/11/the-forgotten-pigmeat-markham.html

Which contained a reference to the blackface origins of the chicken joke.

All of which turned out to be perfect timing for a pedantic Dissensus debunking!

Leo

trevor horn and writing partners originally wrote "slave to the rhythm" for frankie goes to hollywood, it was supposed to be their follow up single to "relax" but he later decided to give it instead to grace jones. apparently, FGTH even recorded a demo of the track (mostly instrumental and more rock sounding) which at one point was slated to be on the reissue of "welcome to the pleasure dome", but the only recording they could fine was a low-fi version on a cassette.