go (the game)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
are you a long-time Go player (for some reason i want to put a '!' after the name)? That game is a complete headfuck. If I want some board game action, ahem, these days, I stick with chess, and just get annoyed when I lose on yahoo games cos I'm trying to do three things at once and my clock runs out. I should re-learn concentration.

Immryr

i've never played go before, but i've had it in the back of my mind to try it out for a while now. i used to play reversi a decent amount and i am hellishly good at connect 4, so i'm sure that puts me in good stead to be a go master.:D

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Reversi = Othello, right?

Same kind of principle, but the number of possible combinations/tactics in Go is, to all intents and purposes, infinite.

Immryr

yeah it's a similar principal to othello, but in othello/reversi you have to place a 'stone' next to an opponents stone, and the aim is to trap the opponents stones between two of yours, making all the trapped stones change to your colour. also pieces in othello / reversi can be retaken over and over. so yeah, it's similar, but i'm guessing go is a lot more complicated. there is only one strategy in othello really, get your pieces to the outside. and like you say in go the number of strategies is infinite.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
Go manages to be incredibly simple and completely baffling at the same time..

my dad used to play a loads.

there's and excellent Bert Jansch and John Renbourn cover with them playing Go.

bertandjohn.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
yeah it's a similar principal to othello, but in othello/reversi you have to place a 'stone' next to an opponents stone, and the aim is to trap the opponents stones between two of yours, making all the trapped stones change to your colour. also pieces in othello / reversi can be retaken over and over. so yeah, it's similar, but i'm guessing go is a lot more complicated. there is only one strategy in othello really, get your pieces to the outside. and like you say in go the number of strategies is infinite.
Yeah, go is orders of magnitude deeper - IIRC it has something like 10^58 possible games versus 10^28 or so for othello.

It's interesting to look at how easy it is for a computer to beat a human at different games - I think that computers started being able to beat the best humans at Othello in about 1980, chess in the last few years, and at go the best computers still has no chance against even a reasonably experienced player...

In fact, I believe that go is now used as a problem for testing AI techniques on, because it's much harder than chess to win by a fairly 'dumb' algorithm that can just (more or less) exhaustively calculate a load of variations for the next few moves... you absolutely have to find some way of simulating some rather sophisticated judgement and abstract thinking.

massrock

Go is almost the like Ur strategy game, utter simplicity and endless levels of complexity. It's one of those activities that when you get into it seems to help you find new ways of thinking about all sorts of things.

I worked with someone for a time who was a good player on an international level and whose father had allegedly developed some very strong Go software. Apparently the algorithm is kept tightly under wraps as there's massive competition in these things, and indeed big prize money. He explained some stuff to me then about how and why it's such a difficult computing problem.

Hamley's (in London, duh) used to do a small 19*19 board with pieces for about £20. It's actually a bit too small and fiddly.

The British Go Association have some reasonably priced boards for sale.

http://www.britgo.org/bgabooks/bgaprices.html#equipment

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i'd kinda doubt it, but you could look. Besides, the yahoo groups (takes 5 mins to sign up, well worth it) tend to have beginners' rooms where the other person will be in the same situation. the chess rooms there are good anyways, although i get really annoyed when i lose cos i'm trying to do two other things ont he computer at the same time.

sufi

lala
nope.
registered, tried it and got the banana from yahoo games, probably the office firewall i guess

& it's not a game that lends it self to google searches really is it