Amazing taco website plug

nomos

Administrator
Where does your taco come from?

4364333020_7cc102657f_o.jpg

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/where-does-your-taco-come-from.html

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
This thread has been harsh reading, as in the UK, there is such a dearth of decent Mexican/South American eateries. In Glasgow we're restricted to your pub grub type places serving half decent fajitas, the not quite awful Pancho Villas and a recently opened Mexican takeaway who are seriously trying to get a fiver for a meat filled burrito or quesadilla. Obviously this situation comes down to the immigration situation (hence why South American food is more prevalent than say, Indian food in the States), but surely it doesn't take much to deduce that you'd make an absolute KILLING with a Mexican street food style outlet in Glasgow, even if it was ghetto and greasy as fuck. If there's one thing Glasgwegians love, it's grease with a side of fried meat and melted cheese. I'm proof of that.

That said, there is a great Spanish/American/Mexican deli with branches in both Glasgow and Edinburgh who have a good range of chillies and hard to find ingredients and also make some damn good chorizo sausages.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Went to Chilango in London (on Fleet Street). it was OK, but can't help think it's been overrated just because it was half-decent. Didin't compare to the food you get in the States or, er, Mexico.

petergunn

plywood violin
This thread has been harsh reading, as in the UK, there is such a dearth of decent Mexican/South American eateries. In Glasgow we're restricted to your pub grub type places serving half decent fajitas, the not quite awful Pancho Villas and a recently opened Mexican takeaway who are seriously trying to get a fiver for a meat filled burrito or quesadilla. Obviously this situation comes down to the immigration situation (hence why South American food is more prevalent than say, Indian food in the States), but surely it doesn't take much to deduce that you'd make an absolute KILLING with a Mexican street food style outlet in Glasgow, even if it was ghetto and greasy as fuck. If there's one thing Glasgwegians love, it's grease with a side of fried meat and melted cheese. I'm proof of that.

I read this and briefly imagined chucking it all in and opening a taco truck in Glasgow but then pictured the drunken reality of it and changed my mind...

grizzleb

I read this and briefly imagined chucking it all in and opening a taco truck in Glasgow but then pictured the drunken reality of it and changed my mind...
It probably wouldn't be for the best. I think a problem in fast food mex is that some if the more obscure ingredients aren't readily avaliable here (GSW) as they would be in the states. Lupe Pintos is cool but tbh I find that chili is one of easiest things to crack out on your own from supermarket ingredients, I think there's not much need to be paying some of the crazier prices they ask in their shop. Though I've never attempted to make any more obscure mexican type thang which they would probably cater for.

Oh well, just as well Glasgow has the best Indian food in Britain. :cool:

gostwan

That said, there is a great Spanish/American/Mexican deli with branches in both Glasgow and Edinburgh who have a good range of chillies and hard to find ingredients and also make some damn good chorizo sausages.

Have you tried salsa restuarant cobretti? Its near the high court building, and a treat for mexican enthusiasts.

Taco Mizuna is pretty good, eat there on Saturday, the burrito's are rather full for your buck. Theres a place called losburritos has opened up in the barrowlands, its not the best but very cheap. Funnily enough there was a place called street food opened up in the exact same spot as taco mizuna about ten years ago, it was superb, but only lasted a couple of months before closing. Tortilla wraps certainly weren't as popular in those days, so they were probably little to ahead of the times.

Any cooking enthusiasts reading this thread should cop this book, http://www.lupepintos.com/Two-Cooks/revised-edition.html. Written by the owners of lupepintos, its a great collection of creole, oaxacan and soul food recipes.

Last edited:

cobretti

Have you tried salsa restuarant cobretti? Its near the high court building, and a treat for mexican enthusiasts.

Taco Mizuna is pretty good, eat there on Saturday, the burrito's are rather full for your buck. Theres a place called losburritos has opened up in the barrowlands, its not the best but very cheap. Funnily enough there was a place called street food opened up in the exact same spot as taco mizuna about ten years ago, it was superb, but only lasted a couple of months before closing. Tortilla wraps certainly weren't as popular in those days, so they were probably little to ahead of the times.

Any cooking enthusiasts reading this thread should cop this book, http://www.lupepintos.com/Two-Cooks/revised-edition.html. Written by the owners of lupepintos, its a great collection of creole, oaxacan and soul food recipes.

Aye I've been to that Salsa place before, just over the river eh? One of my mates hated his meal so much that he complained, so that soured the experience a bit. Not been back since and to be honest wasn't sure if it was still there, definitely up for giving it another go though.

Taco Mazama is alright, but not as good as Illegal Jack's that opened recently through in Edinburgh (they don't make you choose between rice & beans or onions & peppers as Mazama do). The problem is I'm only really going there for a takeaway lunch when I'm working, and a fiver for a burrito is quite steep when everywhere else is offering takeaway lunches for 3.50 etc. If they had a deal for a burrito plus drink for £4 or something I'd go a lot more often.

Whoever was on about Barburrito upthread, I actually found it to be quite good when I went in by chance down in Manchester the other week, obviously it's got that total over branded chain thing going on, but I'd feel lucky to have that near my work in Glasgow. They packed my burrito to breaking point and the shredded spicy beef was tasty enough to keep me eating past my stomach's normal capacity. Would definitely take that over this Taco Mazama place anyway.

Also grizzleb, when I said Lupe Pintos was great for chillies, I meant their selection of the vegetable, they have something like 35 different varieties. It is like you say a little on the expensive side for some products, but I reckon you'd enjoy their cooking chorizo. Next time you're in my nexk of the woods fire in and get a few of the sausages and the other ingredients for their chorizo & bean stew (recipe should be available on one of their flyers or from the staff) and brew it for a couple of hours when you get home. Enjoy that bugger with some warm crusty bread.

Last edited:

grizzleb

I'll need to check out some of these places that are getting chanted. Refused to pay? Hah that's pretty bold.
It looks horribley cheap/bland/essentially shite, but I wonder what Chiquitos is like? Might give it a swatch. That 'Mex2go' place up next to lupe pintos is pretty good for a cheap decent munch, you been in there?

Yeah I was in and I didn't see that many chillis but I think I wasn't looking hard enough. Any you'd recommend, I got one in adobe sauce that made my chilli taste all vinegary. The chorizo is solid, will get that bean stew on the go next time I'm up there.

I've got a serious piece of hunger here after reading this thread. I can't get enough chilli, might make some tommorow. What spice mix are folk using in their home-mades?

3 part paprika
2 part cumin
1 part turmeric
1 part coriander seed
1 part coriander leaf
dash of cayenne

is mine generally. I'm eager to hear some ideas.

Last edited:

cobretti

I'll need to check out some of these places that are getting chanted. Refused to pay? Hah that's pretty bold.
It looks horribley cheap/bland/essentially shite, but I wonder what Chiquitos is like? Might give it a swatch. That 'Mex2go' place up next to lupe pintos is pretty good for a cheap decent munch, you been in there?

Yeah I was in and I didn't see that many chillis but I think I wasn't looking hard enough. Any you'd recommend, I got one in adobe sauce that made my chilli taste all vinegary. The chorizo is solid, will get that bean stew on the go next time I'm up there

Went to that Mex 2 Go place once, but they were just closing so I went to Morello for a kebab instead (it was primed). Call me next time you're up this way.

petergunn

plywood violin

Yeah I was in and I didn't see that many chillis but I think I wasn't looking hard enough. Any you'd recommend, I got one in adobe sauce that made my chilli taste all vinegary. The chorizo is solid, will get that bean stew on the go next time I'm up there.

I've got a serious piece of hunger here after reading this thread. I can't get enough chilli, might make some tommorow. What spice mix are folk using in their home-mades?

3 part paprika
2 part cumin
1 part turmeric
1 part coriander seed
1 part coriander leaf
dash of cayenne

is mine generally. I'm eager to hear some ideas.

i almost always use the "Chili Powder" mix you can buy wherever... in my experience, the cumin and the cayenne are the most important parts, but i like it spicey...

i do like to add hot paprika...

after that, it's all about how many different types of little hot peppers you can get your hands on... actually, alot of the little italian ones are ok in chili and are probably really easy to find in the UK...

i like

onions (sweet ones usually)
green or red peppers
sweet corn
mince
lil garlic sauteed w/ the mince
either red or kidney beans
a can or two of tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes or whole tomatoes

or you can do it cincinnati style and add cinnemon and cocoa and whatnot...

# 1 quart cold water
# 2 lbs ground beef
# 2 cups crushed tomato
# 2 yellow onions, diced
# 4 garlic cloves, minced
# 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
# 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
# 1/4 cup chili powder
# 1 tsp cayenne
# 1 tsp ground cumin
# 2 tbsp cider vinegar
# 1 whole bay leaf
# 1/4 tsp ground cloves
# 1 tsp cinnamon
# 1 1/2 tsp salt
# cooked spaghetti to serve chili over,

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

cobretti

Taco Mizuna is pretty good, eat there on Saturday, the burrito's are rather full for your buck. Theres a place called losburritos has opened up in the barrowlands, its not the best but very cheap. Funnily enough there was a place called street food opened up in the exact same spot as taco mizuna about ten years ago, it was superb, but only lasted a couple of months before closing. Tortilla wraps certainly weren't as popular in those days, so they were probably little to ahead of the times

Been hitting Taco Mazama quite often these days, the barbecued pork has brought me round. Two tacos (one bean, one pork) for 3.50 is a decent lunch, and if I'm feeling especially pimping I'll go for a burrito. I still reckon they could do with broadening the menu a little, of course at the moment they're just finding their feet, but if they got a cheap fryer and started doing fries with cheese, salsa, sour cream & jalapenos (meat optional with surcharge), I reckon that'd be a big hit with Glasgwegians. If they had a fryer they could also do stuffed jalapenos and the like too.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Whoever was on about Barburrito upthread, I actually found it to be quite good when I went in by chance down in Manchester the other week, obviously it's got that total over branded chain thing going on, but I'd feel lucky to have that near my work in Glasgow. They packed my burrito to breaking point and the shredded spicy beef was tasty enough to keep me eating past my stomach's normal capacity. Would definitely take that over this Taco Mazama place anyway.

that was me, i didn't mean to sound overly snarky about them, may try their beef, thanks for the tip, their pork is certainly nice :cool:

nice one Peter for Cincinnati suggestion.

something Grizzleb said chimed w one of my earlier contributions in the thread: where Grizzleb mentioned about some more obscure (by UK standards) ingredients not being readily available. as one example from an eatery, that Barburrito (sorry to repeat myself) stopped doing a salsa verde as one of their salsa offerings when they were unable to keep getting fresh tomatillos and were going to have to get canned stuff, and they felt they didn't want to do it. fair enough.

slightly off-topic, but it's all bread goodness; i was in Stoke last week (hardly Ldn or Brum for subcontinental eats i know) and there's a open-early, close-late nan shop near my mate's gaff, churning out various breads, easy to make your own i know, but apparently some area caff owners and such buy off em in bulk and of course for your post-pub punter, a keema garlic might be a winning alternative to a kebab, pizza, etc.

not ate Mexican in Glasgow, and very little in Ldn, so gonna restate my belief that the best i've had out in Britain and Ireland (Peter and Padraig must be laughing at this point) remain to date Mannamexico in Cambridge and Boojum in Belfast.

Indian food in the States AFAIK is better than Mexican in Britain, i must admit. granted, by that, i mean the large cities, Bay Area, NYC, Houston, Chicago, etc. though i've had decent Indian food in small college towns, and i can't get decent Mexican food in Birmingham!

Gostwan: that book looks good. Oaxacan food kills it.

oh btw, this is an interesting one

some Mcr food site said:
So a trusty reader tells Sleuth that he went to a Curry Mile restaurant on Wilmslow Road on Friday night and was held prisoner for forty minutes. He and his friends complained about their meal, saying of the £61 bill they would pay £40 as a good-will gesture (£20 covering the drinks, £20 for, in their opinion, the poor food). Suddenly the three waiters were joined by 10 people who appeared from nowhere, surrounded them, blocked the door and refused to let them go. None of these would identify themselves or give contact details for the owner. Eventually the guests had to pay the bill, leaving pretty shaken up. Sleuth can understand that given the amount of pissheads who dine on the Curry Mile the place may have felt the need to have back-up, but for peaceable folk who really know their curries this was an added layer of customer service they could have done without.

If they had a fryer they could also do stuffed jalapenos and the like too.

that would be awesome