The Road

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
If they're filming Blood Meridian too it looks like the Hollwood gold rush is on re McCarthy after the success of No Country (which I still think is a stunning film to win the Oscar, being so dark).

I imagined Brando as 'the judge' when reading BM...a cross between Kurtz and the bounty hunter in The Missouri Breaks. But as with many great novels in which the prose is equally important as the story, the film adaptation will probably suffer. Perhaps Peckinpah could have done it justice. The worst it could be is an 'epic' a la Scott or Mann with overblown battle scenes and relentless emotive music.

I'm looking forward to The Road film but like most admirers of the book have reservations - well, look at Hollywood now - but I'm guessing it will tread a fine line between the bleakness that's required and the demands of backers to make it entertaining. The Coens set a high standard by not f*cking up No Country so there's hope that their lead was inspirational artistically as well as financially.

polystyle

any good survivalist/post-apocalyptic fiction out there in the vein of The Road?

I will keep bringing up "Oryx And Crake" and "Riddley Walker" on any and all threads until I hear that more did read them, esp. "Riddley" ...

Can remember fond threads regarding 'survival' under those end times conditions ...
Cheers Empty Mirror